Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 04:12

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coon Noses
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2015, 19:03 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

How much do coons rely on their noses to hunt for food??

Post subject: Re: Coon Noses
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2015, 19:42 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I think they can use it very good. I also think whether they choose to use it largely depends on food source type and preference at the time. For example the nose would do little good while feeling for crayfish in under water holes. I do think often coons have a food preference in mind, and can be stubborn to go towards even a strong food smell that dont match. If its right in their face, they are more likely to scoop it up as compared to having to go off their travel 10 ft. As far as keen, they have an excellent nose for certain and there is little around that they dont know about. However they dont tend to investigate those smells if its not very close, or exactly what they are looking for. Thing is, ive never seen a lean or skinny coon.....they get pretty much what ever they want to eat so most of the time they can afford to pass up other food sources they know to be nearby. Personally, i think gland lures are much more powerful for drawing coons then food at least at our certain time of year. Anyone that uses baits for coons very much , are likely to have witnessed a coon that had walked right by their set and was never interested....happens all the time. It a good reason to place sets square in their way, use various baits, and mix in a good number of blind sets.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2015, 13:41 
Trapper
Trapper

good point, I catch most of coon in blind set, bait works when they feed, coon gland us tops in mating season, but most of the time I think they like just being nosey an tearing stuff up so eye apeel an blind sets for me

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2015, 20:14 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

conibearcat wrote:
good point, I catch most of coon in blind set, bait works when they feed, coon gland us tops in mating season, but most of the time I think they like just being nosey an tearing stuff up so eye apeel an blind sets for me

I'm right there with ya! A good blind set with a 160 body grip or a #11 DLS is a great set for coon. If I can I'll catch em in a dp using dry cat food and a drop of Caven's Coonshine (I think he calls it moonshine, but I have trouble leaving it at that).

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.