Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 15:39

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting CITES Tags
PostPosted: 11 Jan 2015, 22:09 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

As some of you know I caught my first bobcat a few days ago, and I plan on getting it mounted. Now do I just have to call it in and get papers for it? Or do I have to take it somewhere to get tagged? Any help would be much appreciated. -Nick

Post subject: Re: Getting CITES Tags
PostPosted: 11 Jan 2015, 22:28 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I dont know how Mo. works, but in Kansas we present the cat to State officials at a regional office, or a warden, and they get info from you on when, where, and how you caught it. They will then attatch the tag. All there is to it. I think they are bound by federal law to inspect the cat so id think a phone call is out of the question. You might be able to call a warden to come to you and tag it too.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2015, 22:47 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Amak wrote:
I dont know how Mo. works, but in Kansas we present the cat to State officials at a regional office, or a warden, and they get info from you on when, where, and how you caught it. They will then attatch the tag. All there is to it. I think they are bound by federal law to inspect the cat so id think a phone call is out of the question. You might be able to call a warden to come to you and tag it too.

So I guess I should just call an office at the end of season and ask them exactly where I need to take it?

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2015, 00:54 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

We dont have a season on bobcat here but we do otter. Our otter fall under CITES and we have 5 days from the time of capture to report it. I called the DNR and ended up meeting a CO at Hardee's. He didnt look at our otter beyond a cursory glance and handed me the tag, took my $5 and left. All states are different but CITES is under federal jurisdiction i believe so i imagine the laws are fairly similar everywhere? Possibly could be different species to species but here the guy at the DNR office said the fines run around $500, confiscation of the animal and could impact licensing (hunting, trapping etc). Not worth a chance of reporting late.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2015, 01:06 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Your trapping regs book should tell you but yeah, I'd call as soon as possible. I don't live in bcat territory in SD but we also have a 5-day reporting in period (have to surrender the carcass as well).

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2015, 08:02 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

When I had my cat mounted I asked the taxidermist that was mounting the cat about the CITES tag, and was told I DID NOT need one. To my knowledge you only need a CITES tag on a bobcat if it is being sold, and the pelt will cross over state line. However, DO NOT take my small amount of knowledge as being truthful, call a taxidermist, or your game commission. Also, in Texas bobcat are not considered "fur bearing" animals, so if your state classifies them as "fur bearers" the rules are probably going to be different.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2015, 09:46 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I'm 95% sure we have until April 10th to get them checked in. I'm just trying to figure out who to call or where to go...

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2015, 17:09 
Trapper
Trapper

every state is a little different its a good idea to know the process before you trap. For instance in NY we have a furbearer possession tag which must be filled out when you reach your home vehicle or camp which ever comes first. Its a free tag you can print for martin fisher otter and bobcat. The only animal with a limit is Martin (6 per trapper) you must list date of kill method hunt or trap sex and township. we then present our tags and our pelts within 10 days of the close of the season to get our seals. Its a simple process but you have to have the tags you would be in violation if you kept an otter in a beaver set because you didn't print your tag because you were not targeting otter. I am not complaining I live in a state with 14 furbearers and the only one with a limit is Martin.

0/10 mink
0/1 otter
0/1 bobcat
4/5 fisher
0/1 red fox
0/2 grey fox
0/1 coyote
12/20 coon
0/1 weasel

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2015, 19:11 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

iloveguns22 wrote:
I'm 95% sure we have until April 10th to get them checked in. I'm just trying to figure out who to call or where to go...

Call the game warden. Sheriffs department will have his number. At least they do here. I gave the warden a call and he came to my house. Just needed my furbearings license, what county caught in, methods and sex of the cats. Simple. Then we had a nice visit for about an half an hour.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2015, 19:46 
Trapper
Trapper

Here in Pa we can register on line, call or mail in but we only have 48 hours from the time taken. I called mine in on a Monday and had my tag on Thursday.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2015, 21:30 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

We have to present hide and lower jaw bone to fish and wildlife within 5 days of season closure or else 450 per cat fine and we don't get to keep the lower jaw bone check your regs its not worth the fine and in Oregon a taxidermist cannot accept a cat or otter without a cities tag

pepe lepue 3
greys 8
reds
coys3
Johnny sneekum hopefully
beaver 9
bobcat 7
otter 2

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2015, 21:55 
Trapper
Trapper

trapping regs;

http://www.sos.mo.gov/adrules/csr/curre ... 3c10-8.pdf

CITES info 3 CSR 10-8

Paragraph 2 page 4

Who to contact; go here, see the green block on right with county drop down menu, pick your county anclick find; your local CA and contact info will be in the list

http://mdc.mo.gov/