Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 01:21

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 13:53 
Trapper
Trapper

Was just on one of my farming forums, and there was a thread about coyotes. Specifically about the "hunting" that is done in some areas. These guys from Iowa, go out in several trucks and chase down coyotes, sometimes using dogs, and then shoot them. They use radios to keep in contact with each other.

That sure does not sound like fair chase, or much challenge to me. It would be highly illegal in Canada to chase game with a motor vehicle.

Does this occur a lot? And if it does, how in heck would that affect trapping? These guys run down and shoot 20-30 a day. I would think this would make huge areas un-trappable?

These guys were all proud of themselves, and horridly to me, most were on their side. Many said "get them all!!! To me this is an awful attitude to have, and a very non sporting, very dangerous way to "hunt".

Fodder for the antis I would think as well.

I hope this is not a general way to "hunt".

How fun could that be? I would feel all dirty all over if I "hunted" like that...

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 14:25 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Not legal here. Many states consider the coyote vermin and have no limits or seasons for them. I would think it's more about killing them than hunting them. I think those guys using trucks will be the first to tell you that what they are doing is not hunting.

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 14:42 
Trapper
Trapper

WCS wrote:
Not legal here. Many states consider the coyote vermin and have no limits or seasons for them. I would think it's more about killing them than hunting them. I think those guys using trucks will be the first to tell you that what they are doing is not hunting.

Several of them were complaining that some farmers do not let them "hunt" on their land. Gee, I wonder why, huh? :roll:

I dunno. From what I was seeing, they thought it was hunting and spoke of it as if it were hunting... Who knows???

I do know what you are saying... tics me off though. Pics posted of REALLY badly shot up coyotes does nothing to aid our cause.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 16:18 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

It's true there are a lot of guys who chase down yotes in trucks or chase um down on sleds... And I dont consider it hunting nor do I ever partake but I will say guys have been doing this for years and I don't ever see a population decline... For real there are so darn many it's like the snow geese the more liberal the seasons and bag limits have gotten it hasn't affected the population at all... The only thing that bothers me is all the other non targeted critters that get harassed when they are doing this. Not right but atleast they are helping manage the population.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 16:35 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Versions of that goes on here some. Here they use greyhounds and whippets to get the coyote running. They then try to cut the coyote off with trucks and get in its way to shoot it as it goes by. Most use shotguns with 4 buck in them. Sometimes the dogs do the deed if they catch it first.

With this group, its the dogs that are focused on, not the fur. I think most still skin, but they dont care about pelt money. A good dog is worth a lot of money and carries a lot of bragging rights. That's what they care about.. I think they also get a charge out of the race to cut the animal off to get the shot. Its go go go, hurry hurry hurry. Like with all sports in the outdoors there are good ethical folks and there are the others that seem to be out to give bad names. I know of some VERY unethical and illegal trappers, but that dont mean we all operate that way. Trust me when I say im doing everything in my power to take these suckers down.

Done properly there isnt much difference in doing this and using dogs for rabbits, upland birds, turkey, coons, hogs, bear, or even deer for that matter. I did say done properly though. Here they get a bad reputation because they get so focused on getting the coyote, they forget property lines, or that its illegal to shoot from a vehicle or a road at animals, or that cutting fences so they can drive through is actually distruction of private property as well as often trespassing. Running dogs after game isnt the problem....thats been done for hundreds of years and is accepted as fair chase by law in many places. Done within the law and being sensitive to those who dont get it, I support them over all. But its got to be done right for me to. Not my thing, but it is theirs.

I trapped a property where apparently the land operator gave me permission to trap, but also gave some coyote runners permission too. I had just finished setting up a good amount of lethal snares and a few footholds for yotes on a bitter cold miserable day. No sooner I got done a couple trucks came up the property pouring on the coal heading right towards my set up area. Then I noticed a few other trucks pulled off the road in various spots. Then I seen a lone yote giving it all he was worth and grey hounds hot on his tail. I scrambled as fast as I could to one of the outside trucks to warn them of the danger to their dogs. When I told the guy he just said he doubted it would make much difference. To my suprise the yote and the dogs made it through. They crossed the road and the shotgunner missed completly and the whole pack went into the next section. The guy i talked to radio called his "leader" (ends up i knew of him). He cameover to me and said they didnt care if a dog got caught, they would have to get it out of the set though. I told them of the snares ability on a running animal....he just shrugged and said no big deal. They then took off to cut the pack off at the next road......I went straight in and pulled every set.

As far as fodder for the anti's....we need to be sensitive and smart. But never think the anti's need anything more then just us hunting or trapping in an ethical, legal, and moral way. They will twist the story, lie, make things up....you name it no matter how careful we are. But I do agree we should be sensitive to those who may not be anti's but are not exposed to seeing shot animals either. I say lets not hide, but be smart. Education to show truth is the only real way to fight lies.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 19:33 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

I know what you are saying Amak, down here we don't have the dog hunters chasing coyotes but we do have hog hunters who use dogs. The hog dog men aren't as complacent as your dog men sounded. They are very volatile and aggressive about their dogs being caught in traps or snares. They most all hunt with the tracking collars. I now have that to contend with down at my lease but thus far have not had any incidents.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 19:56 
Trapper
Trapper

I went with a group of guys last year that did this. The main guy lived around the area, so he knew everybody. A lot of the farmers were more than happy to let us drive through their fields, and shoot the coyotes. The majority of the time if we saw one the old guys in the group would shoot, and miss the coyotes.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 20:11 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Welcome to WAT theNebraskan, sounds like you had a good time....we won't talk about "the old guys" missing any shots. :roll: :wink: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 20:22 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks! Haha I gave them a hard time, but don't get me wrong they're a great group of guys.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 21:19 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

They do this a lot in western Ks. It's a lot more open country out there and they can see a yote a mile away. They can't pull that crap around here as easily, too many land owners with small parcels and most of them wouldn't have it. I suppose it's a regional mentality anyway. They grow up doing it and see nothing the matter with it, and it's just how it's done. Personally, if I wasn't gonna trap em, I'd like to sit out in a draw and throw lead at them when they came to a call. Like Amak said, it ain't about the fur, but numbers out there. Many of them folks come from ranches where yotes prey on livestock when the opportunity comes along. In Ks the yote isn't a furbearer, so there is no season or limit. However, for some reason it is illegal to display the carcass of a dead yote, which means if a guy shoots a coyote and throws it on his flatbed truck, he can get a ticket, but he could kill it by any means he wanted to. :lol: :roll:

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 21:30 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Mohawk wrote:
They do this a lot in western Ks. It's a lot more open country out there and they can see a yote a mile away. They can't pull that crap around here as easily, too many land owners with small parcels and most of them wouldn't have it. I suppose it's a regional mentality anyway. They grow up doing it and see nothing the matter with it, and it's just how it's done. Personally, if I wasn't gonna trap em, I'd like to sit out in a draw and throw lead at them when they came to a call. Like Amak said, it ain't about the fur, but numbers out there. Many of them folks come from ranches where yotes prey on livestock when the opportunity comes along. In Ks the yote isn't a furbearer, so there is no season or limit. However, for some reason it is illegal to display the carcass of a dead yote, which means if a guy shoots a coyote and throws it on his flatbed truck, he can get a ticket, but he could kill it by any means he wanted to. :lol: :roll:

That means you can't display me on a flat bed truck Jim! :roll: :lol: Then again they might give you a reward! :--o :lol:

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 21:37 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Richard Murray wrote:
Mohawk wrote:

That means you can't display me on a flat bed truck Jim! :roll: :lol: Then again they might give you a reward! :--o :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh please, you're too dang tough and hard headed to be a yote bro. And the only person I could see putting up a reward is the guy that stole your traps! :wink:

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 21:53 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Mohawk wrote:
Richard Murray wrote:
Mohawk wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh please, you're too dang tough and hard headed to be a yote bro. And the only person I could see putting up a reward is the guy that stole your traps! :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :P As for the idiot that stole my gear and traps...............if I ever find out..............There will be no saving his (I'm an idiot, I just tried to cheat the profanity filter)!!!! :evil: :twisted: Call the meat wagon to scape him up! :evil: :wink:

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 22:10 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Richard Murray wrote:
Mohawk wrote:
Richard Murray wrote:
Mohawk wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :P As for the idiot that stole my gear and traps...............if I ever find out..............There will be no saving his (I'm an idiot, I just tried to cheat the profanity filter)!!!! :evil: :twisted: Call the meat wagon to scape him up! :evil:

:lol: Save the chunks though, they can be tainted for bait! :twisted:

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 22:15 
Trapper
Trapper

I have never saw that here, but what we do have county/ government trappers that can fly and kill them out of plane or helicopters, it drives me crazy when I see them, and I truly believe they are changing the coyotes behavior and also the den sites that they use..

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 22:16 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: He's already tainted. Can skip that part. :lol: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 22:35 
Trapper
Trapper

Chasingyotes wrote:
I have never saw that here, but what we do have county/ government trappers that can fly and kill them out of plane or helicopters, it drives me crazy when I see them, and I truly believe they are changing the coyotes behavior and also the den sites that they use..

That is what I was wondering about. With that kind of pressure, it has got to change habits. I know that a few years back when there was a lot of night poaching here, moose, elk and deer got awfully antsy and hard to hunt, for those of us who actually get up out of the seat to hike around.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 22:57 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Chasingyotes wrote:

Craig O'Gorman is one of them. He has killed thousands out of a plane. He talked a lot about it in his book "Hoofbeats of a Wolfer". They did this mainly for control work for the cattle and sheep ranchers in Montana. The amount of money these ranchers were losing to the yotes was big time. Unbelievable amount every year. Would have to look in the book to get the exact amounts of money lost. He also said that many a time the problem yotes would kill sheep just to kill and not eat them.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 23:49 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

"driving" for yotes (or any critter) and shooting from the window is illegal here as well except a landowner may shoot varmints from the window but I think he can't use a center-fire rifle (I'll have to check on that).

With that said, there is (or at least was when I knew more small town locals) a good amount of running & gunning for yotes in at least eastern SD where there are section line roads most every mile. The "good ole boys" form up on a single section and have a rig stationed on each mile line (so 4 trucks on the outsides). Then another vehicle, usually the beater 4x4 runs through the section and tries to stir things up as much as possible. If this crew kicks up a yote they radio (also illegal) which side(s) the doggie(s) is (are) coming out or direction of travel and the guys on the lines take off. Bullets can be flying in multiple directions.

I've never been on such an event and don't think I'd go if invited. But these guys have "fun"...Some where last year I had a story of buying a dead yote off a pile of dead yotes when I was out winter rabbit & squirrel hunting one day. I think that one was probably the only one that actually got used out of a pile of 20 or so (it was the "freshest" looking one). I don't know if I can find that post but I'll look over the weekend.

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2015, 01:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

NonPCfed wrote:
"driving" for yotes (or any critter) and shooting from the window is illegal here as well except a landowner may shoot varmints from the window but I think he can't use a center-fire rifle (I'll have to check on that).

With that said, there is (or at least was when I knew more small town locals) a good amount of running & gunning for yotes in at least eastern SD where there are section line roads most every mile. The "good ole boys" form up on a single section and have a rig stationed on each mile line (so 4 trucks on the outsides). Then another vehicle, usually the beater 4x4 runs through the section and tries to stir things up as much as possible. If this crew kicks up a yote they radio (also illegal) which side(s) the doggie(s) is (are) coming out or direction of travel and the guys on the lines take off. Bullets can be flying in multiple directions.

I've never been on such an event and don't think I'd go if invited. But these guys have "fun"...Some where last year I had a story of buying a dead yote off a pile of dead yotes when I was out winter rabbit & squirrel hunting one day. I think that one was probably the only one that actually got used out of a pile of 20 or so (it was the "freshest" looking one). I don't know if I can find that post but I'll look over the weekend.

That is why us Canadians stay north when you get your first leaf falling in the fall, just to down right crazy to even be there. Very scary place to be in your fall or the first week of deer season. Bad mistake being there but very good lesson learned. Never happen again for me.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2015, 01:09 
Trapper
Trapper

NonPCfed wrote:

I remember that post from last year. It just seems like such a wasted resource.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2015, 03:51 
Trapper
Trapper

There is no closed season on yotes in Ohio, a lot of guys drive them like deer around here.

A few years ago I only trapped them when their fur was worth something, but they are getting so bad around my farm I kill them all year now and so does a lot of guys

Coyote: No daily bag limit, no closed season. Coyote can be hunted or trapped. If hunted during the deer gun season, hours and legal hunting devices are the same as for deer gun season. Rifles and night vision scopes are legal for coyote hunting; however, rifles and night hunting (between sunset and 1/2 before sunrise) are prohibited during any firearm/muzzleloader deer seasons.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2015, 04:39 

Hunting coyotes with dogs is legal here in Pennsylvania. I've never been on one of these chases but I heard it's very interesting and could last for several miles.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2015, 10:20 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I guess I could be considered one of the bad guys because we used to run coyotes with grey hounds and trail hounds. The last set of grey hounds I owned was when I was first married 30 years ago. But my Dad and my Granddad hunted hounds for many years. Times were different back then. Most of the land here in Kansas was owned by family farmers and we knew everybody within 20 miles of our place. We knew who we could drive on and who we couldn't.

I pretty much agree with Amak's post. It wasn't about killing the coyotes as much as it was about the dogs/hounds. Dad spent literally 10's of thousands of dollars on hounds in his lifetime but that was his thing. He loved his hounds as much as he loved his family.

We never, never shot a coyote if front of greyhounds or trailhounds. In fact I remember when I was pretty young a guy from town was following us around one day and shot a coyote in front of a set of greyhounds. And I remember well the whooping this guy took from my Dad right in the middle of the road. Dad always considered it hard on the hounds if a coyote was shot in front of them.

As far as hurting the coyote numbers? I don't think so. A good trapper will kill more coyotes than a set of hounds will. As far as displacing the coyote off its territory? I don't think so. When you run a coyote with trailhounds he might run a couple miles and then he will start circling back to home territory. You can run a coyote with greyhounds and if he gets away you can come back in a few days and jump the same coyote out of the same draw, though he will be smarter and harder to catch. He won't let you get as close to him as the first time.

I had some great times back then running coyotes with hounds and like I said times are different now. I remember well the predation coyotes did on livestock. Coyotes seem different now as I haven't seen the predation on livestock like it used to be and I 'm not sure why. One thing, about every farmer years ago had a few sheep and coyotes do love sheep. Now a days I bet there is not a 100 head of sheep total in the whole county.

Predation on livestock is why we have no season on coyotes. Predation is why we used to hunt coyotes with hounds. Predation is why we used to dig/den pups in the spring. It might not seem like hunting to some to dig a bunch of pups out but maybe now you know why it was done.
J

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2015, 11:17 
Trapper
Trapper

I am not talking about hunting with hounds, I am talking about chasing the yotes with trucks and radios.

We have open season here on yotes, too. Hounds sounds fun. Trucks and chasing sounds dangerous, unethical, and is against my fair chase sensibilities.

So no, you are not one of the "bad guys." lol!