Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 05:24

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2015, 22:49 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Well fellas I haven't been around much due mostly to a slow year of trapping. Before I hit the quarry this year my totals were 6 muskrat and 2 coyotes :--? But two days ago I set the little pond there for muskrats and beaver, and four land sets mainly targeting Bobcats. The first check provided 6 rats, and two today. Oh, and thanks to you guys, especially Jase and Russ, my first bobcat! These two guys have looked at land maps of this place with me last year and taught me an unbelievable amount about bobcat habits. I can't thank them enough. It was a Tom, he looked to be fairly young just judging by his teeth. But I haven't weighed him yet. He was caught on the edge of a bean field and a cedar thicket in a blended dirt hole with an exposed pan and two guide sticks. The lures were Violator 7 and Cavens bait. I plan on getting it mounted granted I can find an affordable taxidermist who won't make it look like a stuffed animal... Anyway, here are the pictures. (Sorry I can't resize from my phone, but I know NonPC is itching for some pics! :lol: )

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2015, 23:12 
Trapper
Trapper

nice looking cat

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 00:06 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nice action!!! Those cats seem to dig moving around the cedar thickets (eastern red cedar is actually a juniper but I think everyone east of the 100th meridian calls them "cedar"--I do). Someday maybe I'll join the club. Congrats on the mrats as well. That's a nice take out of a pond.

P.S. Those teeth look "mature" enough for me. I bet a younger one can still bite and scratch as good as an old one :wink:

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 05:15 

That's an excellent looking cat Nick! Congrats.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 06:48 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Congrats on the nice cat and the other varmints you have taken on your lines.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 09:11 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

nice catch at the pond. Nice looking cat and thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 09:55 
Trapper
Trapper

that is a mad cat, good job man

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 11:45 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Congrats on the cat Nick, that is a dandy! Looks like he's rosetted on his back as well. :mrgreen:

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 11:46 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

YEEEEE HAAAAAAAW!!!!! Man that is a fine looking cat Nick! It almost seems I can see rosettes on its sides and back? I dont think he is no small fry. May not be an old timer but he is definately not a spring chick. Looks like a picture perfect hit in the 650. I couldn't be any more happy for you. I think Id be tempted to make that set again if you have season left. Within about a week, its likely another tom from the outlying area will fill that vacancy....and is likely to make the same route his own. Plus right now is a great time to pick up extra transiant cats as they look for suitable home ranges. If the set area is where I think it is, thats a tremendous funnel so if you got the time id try again. Great job again Nick!

As for a mount.....im very picky on mounts and in my opinion the bobcat must be one of the harder animals to get life like. I havent seen a cat mount i thought was perfect. But Cindy Cunningham of "SECOND CREATION TAXIDERMY" is about as good as they get. She runs a taxi school, so on her web page she shows all levels of talent and not necessarily are the photo's her work. She has more info on her face book page. She will send you private photo's of good examples to look at if you contact her. Her competition mounts are unbelievable. Id tell her your concerns up front and how you want it life like. She is far from cheap, but you get what you pay for. I had 2 crappie done by her years ago and I honestly can say she blows away any competition so bad on the crappie it wasnt even funny. She was the only one that could capture what a crappie actually looked like. I highly recommend her and think you should at least consider her. You will be staring at that cat mount a long time....its worth it.

Everyone has their own ideas, but think real hard how you want the cat. So many folks opt for the growling snarling type....but those look the worst because its so hard to make look real, esp the mouth and snarling lips. Another pose i dont like is the attacking of some small animal. Again, very difficult to make look real and good. I MUCH prefer a more natural mount, as if the cat is going about its normal daily routine. Those are the best to look at over a long period of time. Just think hard on what you want. Cindy can tell you what will come out looking the most realistic if you ask her. She wont pressure you one way or another, because its the customers ideas that is important, but if you be open with her and ask advice and give her the steering wheel, you will be happy.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 12:11 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Here is my favorite cat mount I have seen of Cindy's. There are some more pics on her gallery at second creations taxidermy's website, as well as her facebook page. Some pics though are of her students as well.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 16:09 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Thank you all for the kind words and congratulations. I set two more cat traps today in some likely locations. I hope to be sharing more pics soon.

Jase, I'll definitely look into Cindy's work. I also agree that a closed mouth "natural" looking mount is more pleasing to the eye. So far I'm thinking about taking it to Cole at Timberland Taxidermy. His stuff is flawless as far as I can tell. If you appreciate seeing a great cat mount I suggest looking up his website. He charges $850, which is about right for a high quality mount. I don't know how that compares to Cindy, but like I said, I'll look her up.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 16:12 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Nice cat ! Good job !

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 16:22 
Trapper
Trapper

Great catch Nick, here is the mount of my first ever Pa. kitty from two years ago.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 17:34 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Nick I do like most of Timberlands bobcats. I think its very close between Cindy and him on the quality of the cats, he's good. I will say I think her canines are better. I think price wise they are about the same. Something tells me they know each other well! :D I would be comfortable with him.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 20:39 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Congrats on the catch Nick! I can't wait to see pics of wat you come up with.hope you grab up many more this season. :wink:

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 23:16 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Way to go Nick, outstanding! I am getting a cat mounted very soon also. I can vouch on Cindy also, she does some awesome work. If I was closer I would have her do mine. I am still shoping for a good taxidermist. Have a couple in mind, but not sure yet. I am picky. Again great job man!! 8)

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 23:18 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

carpcatcher wrote:
Great catch Nick, here is the mount of my first ever Pa. kitty from two years ago.

That's a very nice mount carp! :wink: