Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 19:43

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2015, 11:39 
Trapper
Trapper

When it is -30, how often do you folks touch up your sets with urine, bait, etc. Personally, I have caught coyotes in DEEP snow, a LONG time after the initial setting, with no re-baiting.

True story. When I last was trapping hard when I was about 15, almost 25 years ago, I set out a dirt hole in early winter, with a skiff of snow. This would have been in mid November or so... By December it had snowed a lot, and drifted hard over my set, which I "lost" in the white expanse. I knew about where it was, but not precisely. I was always passing near to this set when I checked my other traps, and it was in sight of my yard, so don't get me wrong, it was not lost in that way... You know how that goes.., one morning a guy on a ski doo came by and said I had caught a coyote. I thanked him, and headed out to where he described the coyote was caught. The big male, prime as heck yote had found and dug up the set, stepped on the wax paper protected pan, and got himself caught. I had not even been checking that trap closely anymore,( I could always see where it was, just to be clear), had given up on touching it up, between not being able to pinpoint it, not thinking the bait would still be effective under two feet of hard, drifted snow, etc..

So with that in mind, and being what I would call a fairly experienced "greenhorn", as in I have laid steel again for the first time in 20 plus years, is bait replenishing every week or so necessary even? Especially with way less snow covering my sets this year?

Last edited by flattail on 08 Jan 2015, 12:01, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2015, 12:38 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

:--o Depends on the amount of coffee I had. :roll:
Generally, I'll catch a grinner, coon, target (hopefully) or have something dig it up and have to remake a set before I have to freshen it up, in decent weather. If its dang cold, I'll usually evaluate the bait to see if it's grown moldy every other week.

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2015, 18:31 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

If you are using a good quality lure it will last a long time for coyotes. Bait and even lure touch ups, are heavily dependant on loudness, if a carrier ingredient is used, weather, and at least a dozen other things. I have found that for canines you probably wont have to touch up bait or lure before you get your fill of fur and move on, unless your bait gets robbed. That is if you are using quality stuff. I touch up for cats roughly once every week. I say roughly because sometimes they go 2 weeks. The urine if its pure will need more, more often, in that kind of cold. Spiked urine can go a little longer. I almost never use pure urine on a set that i have gland lure on, and only use spiked urine occationally. Over all im not a huge fan of urine but its an ok change up. I personally have better luck with glands instead.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2015, 19:07 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks for the answers guys. I need to get some gland lure/bait by the sounds of it, huh? Back when I was young, I trapped rabbits and tainted it in the summer for bait, which was awesome stuff.

Is gland lure a purely sexual response, or is it just one of those instinct inducing responses that a yote can't help but investigate?

Next year I will also have to do some ice bucket baits and try snaring that way too...

Been reading about trapping for days now in the evenings and first thing, and getting right back into it...

Thanks again!

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2015, 19:28 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Glands trigger a territorial response mostly. The glands lead the territory owner that another animal is invading its turf, and they check it out. This is true with about any critter, from yotes to house cats.

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2015, 20:06 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

flattail wrote:
When it is -30, how often do you folks touch up your sets with urine, bait, etc. Personally, I have caught coyotes in DEEP snow, a LONG time after the initial setting, with no re-baiting.

True story. When I last was trapping hard when I was about 15, almost 25 years ago, I set out a dirt hole in early winter, with a skiff of snow. This would have been in mid November or so... By December it had snowed a lot, and drifted hard over my set, which I "lost" in the white expanse. I knew about where it was, but not precisely. You know how that goes... one morning a guy on a ski doo came by and said I had caught a coyote. I thanked him, and headed out to where he described the coyote was caught. The big male, prime as heck yote had found and dug up the set, stepped on the wax paper protected pan, and got himself caught. I had not even been checking that trap anymore, between not being able to pinpoint it, not thinking the bait would still be effective under two feet of hard, drifted snow, etc..

So with that in mind, and being what I would call a fairly experienced "greenhorn", as in I have laid steel again for the first time in 20 plus years, is bait replenishing every week or so necessary even? Especially with way less snow covering my sets this year?

Once you have your bait site established in -30 weather your bait will be there for along time. Rock hard bait is hard for the birds to peck away. Yotes can carry it away if you don't catch them entering your set. Very seldom will you have to add any bait at those temps. And yes even at those temps your bait pile will still give off the aroma of what ever your using for bait. Do you ever use snares for your yotes? Just a thought.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 09:38 
Trapper
Trapper

go out after season an you will find that yotes keep coming back an diging for months ,sometimes, sometimes they dont