Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 10:25

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Earth Anchors
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2015, 19:14 
Offline
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Joined: 04 Jan 2012, 10:04
Posts: 648
How do you pull your earth anchors when you pull your traps?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Earth Anchors
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2015, 19:22 
Offline
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Joined: 17 Jan 2008, 10:51
Posts: 926
I use an anchor puller i made. Its very similar to the heavy duty one at MTP. You can get by with a long crow bar if you need to.

Super Stake Puller- Each-Minnesota Trapline
http://www.minntrapprod.com/Super-Stake ... %2DSSPULL/

Do you have chain or cable stakes?

_________________
}}}}}=========€ >


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Earth Anchors
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2015, 11:18 
Offline
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Joined: 04 Jan 2012, 10:04
Posts: 648
Amak wrote:
I use an anchor puller i made. Its very similar to the heavy duty one at MTP. You can get by with a long crow bar if you need to.

Super Stake Puller- Each-Minnesota Trapline
http://www.minntrapprod.com/Super-Stake ... %2DSSPULL/

Do you have chain or cable stakes?


Thanks for the info Amak. I have cable stakes that I made.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Earth Anchors
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2015, 12:27 
Offline
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Joined: 03 Jan 2009, 23:29
Posts: 468
Location: venango co,pa
i made mine,pretty simple.looks like the one in the picture! my other one is a massey ferguson 35 tractor!
Image

_________________
life member pta distric #1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
i have trapped in nebraska,michigan,new york,alaska and pa.
us air force retired.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Earth Anchors
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2015, 13:26 
Offline
Trapper
Trapper

Joined: 11 Jan 2013, 14:38
Posts: 194
Location: central Pa
I used a home made one similar to the one that Amak posted until this year. I bought one that you pull on instead of pushing up and it is much easier on my back. This one is made by a local guy here. It consists of a handle and flat steel in a half circle with a slot for chian or points for cables. I'll never do the lifting thing again when pulling stakes, just my opinion.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Earth Anchors
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2015, 17:38 
Offline
Trapper
Trapper

Joined: 31 Dec 2014, 15:14
Posts: 29
Location: Montana
I have a handy man jack rigged up to pull them, works good in frozen ground..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Earth Anchors
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2015, 18:23 
Offline
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Joined: 16 Jan 2012, 21:13
Posts: 269
Location: Central Missouri
I use Superstakes with 18 inch chains. I drive them about 15 inches down and they'll hold anything that pulls on it at even the slightest sideways angle. As long as the ground isnt frozen, I can still pull them out by hand if I pull straight up. I know some of you will disagree but I trust them 100% and it's pretty nice to be able to reuse them and not have to cut the chains.

_________________
MIZ-ZOU!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Earth Anchors
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2015, 19:35 
Offline
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS
User avatar

Joined: 03 Feb 2008, 12:18
Posts: 16404
Location: Lufkin, TX
carpcatcher wrote:
I used a home made one similar to the one that Amak posted until this year. I bought one that you pull on instead of pushing up and it is much easier on my back. This one is made by a local guy here. It consists of a handle and flat steel in a half circle with a slot for chian or points for cables. I'll never do the lifting thing again when pulling stakes, just my opinion.


That is a good description CC but how about a couple of pictures?

_________________
Actions Speak Louder Than Words


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Earth Anchors
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2015, 19:43 
Offline
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper
User avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2010, 11:58
Posts: 1305
Location: Kansas
iloveguns22 wrote:
As long as the ground isnt frozen, I can still pull them out by hand if I pull straight up.

You must have some really soft ground or you are a beast of a man. :shock: Even 12" here and you will not budge them by hand if they are set.

_________________
A WISE MAN PROFITS BY THE MISTAKES HE MAKES.
A FOOL NEVER SEES THE ONE HE MAKES. (Harold Warp)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Earth Anchors
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2015, 19:47 
Offline
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Joined: 17 Jan 2008, 10:51
Posts: 926
iloveguns22 wrote:
I use Superstakes with 18 inch chains. I drive them about 15 inches down and they'll hold anything that pulls on it at even the slightest sideways angle. As long as the ground isnt frozen, I can still pull them out by hand if I pull straight up. I know some of you will disagree but I trust them 100% and it's pretty nice to be able to reuse them and not have to cut the chains.



I dont disagree. I used pogo for a while and i could pull them up but they held everything i caught. I drive my super stakes 20-22 inches. I dont want even 2 people together to be able to pull em up. With a puller, i dont have to cut my chains, they come up. I use top quality #2 welded chain and weld shut every j hook junction. Cheap chain will seperate and break under the pressure. This set up has now saved me 5 MB 650's that would have been a statistic of theft. Thats $100 worth of traps. If you can pull them up, so can someone else. No doubt it takes much less to hold animals though.

_________________
}}}}}=========€ >


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Earth Anchors
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2015, 20:21 
Offline
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Joined: 04 Jan 2012, 10:04
Posts: 648
carpcatcher wrote:
I used a home made one similar to the one that Amak posted until this year. I bought one that you pull on instead of pushing up and it is much easier on my back. This one is made by a local guy here. It consists of a handle and flat steel in a half circle with a slot for chian or points for cables. I'll never do the lifting thing again when pulling stakes, just my opinion.


You got a picture of it?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Earth Anchors
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2015, 20:40 
Offline
Trapper
Trapper

Joined: 11 Jan 2013, 14:38
Posts: 194
Location: central Pa
I'll see what I can come up with. I may need to e-mail them to someone and have them post them


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group