Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 05:13

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 19:38 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Iv pulled 22 of one section of ground in the last two weeks and I'm still seeing sign so im not gonna pull up yet pry not worth my time to keep after it now but now im curious how many I can get off one tract of ground...i think in other parts of the world this prolly isn't so odd but for here it's strange... Usually a guy can get the pair and there pups from the last year, in a given area!

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 20:56 
Trapper
Trapper

you never know could see some neighboring groups move into your area

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 21:28 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Fish94 wrote:
Iv pulled 22 of one section of ground in the last two weeks and I'm still seeing sign so im not gonna pull up yet pry not worth my time to keep after it now but now im curious how many I can get off one tract of ground...i think in other parts of the world this prolly isn't so odd but for here it's strange... Usually a guy can get the pair and there pups from the last year, in a given area!

Hehehehe.....the 22 yotes is good in a farm section,,,,but in 2 weeks is awesome! Thats the fish I remember! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 21:35 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I have a friend that pulls 40 to 60 off of one section every year. Thats here in Kansas in the flint hills.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 21:37 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Good dispersal routes can keep on giving.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 23:15 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

:shock: Dang that is a lot of coyotes running around. :?

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 23:22 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Dang 40 to 60 them things must be thick as flees... I guess I'm trying to figure out why there is so many there if it's just a revolving door or if there were just that many packed up because they haven't started pairing up and breeding or what just interestin tho...

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2015, 00:05 
Trapper
Trapper

26 is my best off a section pasture.. Coyotes are like a anxious weed, they just keep coming back..

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2015, 08:54 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

At one point last year he was at 47 or 48 off of one ranch, but like l said he is in a great disperal route and water shed. The shed runs for many many miles. I believe there is between 2100 to 2300 water sheds in the U.S. and if you are on one it can pay big. They just keep on giving. Not all of us are fortunate to be on these great routes. I know I'm not. His sent me a pic in late November for a single day and he had 10 song dogs.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2015, 09:06 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Just curious, what food source carries this many coyotes in one area?

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2015, 10:37 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Ya apparently there is a lot of food there to able to carry that many animals. But why?it's neat property hay feilds, small feedlot, the rest is pasture and borders a glacial lake with no people but it's no different from anything thing else out here that's so dak but something is different that it can carry and hold that many dogs... Interesting

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2015, 10:41 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

My one cousin had turned an 80 acre parcel (half of it was pasture first) into a wildlife magnet that was loaded with pheasants and cottontails and he snared 18 or so yotes off of there in one season. The drainage that went through the old pasture was sort of the "head" that lead down to the James River valley so it could be a dispersal route as well.

A question one might ask is do yotes "yard up" in the winter such as deer do?? So the particular section that fish is hammering this winter may only hold the ave. number of yotes during the warm months of pup raising and early fall activities including crop harvest. If they're not breeding yet then the high numbers may be because this is where the yotes from miles around tend to gather for easier winter food and possibly thermal cover. This doesn't mean there's not some moving through the other areas but just a lot fewer of them, especially in the now open "wildlife deserts" of harvested corn and soybeans fields...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2015, 13:31 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Swamp Rat wrote:
Just curious, what food source carries this many coyotes in one area?

Cattle help a lot. If you have cows calving the coyotes will be there. If there is a feedlot operation this helps also. Some of the smaller feedlots use to just drag their dead into a draw and leave them. These were always big coyote magnets. I had a friend trapping around feedlots out around Dodge City. He had a draw set up where they were dragging off dead cattle. He walked over a rise to get to his sets one morning and had seven trapped coyotes in view. Most I have ever caught in one place was 21 coyotes over the course of a winter.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2015, 15:50 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Wouldn't that be a sight!!! You'd think that by the time 4 or 5 doggies were in traps, the last two would sense things were very wrong in that location and head out without checking anything else out. Maybe some did...

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2015, 18:20 

Swamp Rat wrote:
:shock: Dang that is a lot of coyotes running around. :?

What he said!

Most I have pulled off ANY farm was six, that was how many I caught for the year as well and was the first time I was trying for yotes "on purpose."

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2015, 20:53 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

True livestock are huge magnets.... Cattle are great but boy do I like trapping around pastures with sheep seems to be to easy.... Ha ya there is nothing better than being on the spot and having the big catch of multiple dogs.... How's the mange this year.... My area had it really bad last year but this year I'm still catching a few but it's not to bad this year...

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2015, 14:10 

No mange up here yet.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2015, 23:07 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I ended up with 37 on that farm... There's still a dog or two there but I'm done dinking around there.... Kinda crazy

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2015, 05:08 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Man that is a heck of a pile off one farm. :shock: Nicely done!

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2015, 13:10 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Wow, that is crazy!!

Snares?, leg holds?, a combo? Any rifle poking?

How are the cattle liking winter (and you taking care of them)??

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2015, 19:48 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I started by just snaring but after a catch I would just plop a foothold in the catch circle.... So I was running a combo.... Oh yes feeding the old girls everyday when it's this cold they need a lot of feed to maintain there body weight and keep growing the future generation...but it's going well just trying to stay busy in a couple weeks I'll start lambing also.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2015, 20:36 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Fish, im curious,. You said that you put a foothold in a snare catch circle. Im wondering if you get multiple catches in catch circles often? How about foothold catch circles....you get multiples in them often? Reason i ask is a fair amount of times, i see where yotes here dont want to come around a catch circle of another yote that was in a foothold. Maybe not every time but more often then id like. Wierd thing is, I have made a catch on one day, then a day later it snowed 2-3 inches and covered the sight of the scene. Still, in the snow i seen several sets of tracks over the next several days come up right in line on the spot from a nice funneled area. Instead of continuing on or going around, they turned around and went straight back from where they came from. I really dont think it wasnt my scent because i had been through where they had already came through to that point, at the same time i had remade the set n question. I seen several other instances like that too, and wondered if you ever encountered that from them. Thanks for anything you can post about it.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2015, 21:14 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Amak I hear ya... For me anyway early in the trapping season I don't use these tactics but later when it cold as heck and we have snow those are my favorite sets.... I make a catch in a catch snare I'll just make a flat set in the catch circle I use all the dropping and stuff the yote left me and a little gland lure usually it takes an extra day than usual but it's a good set for me any way.... I got hooked on it years ago after seeing the amount of tracks I had in the snow in my catch circles days after I had taken the yote away from it.... It seem to me earlier in the year if I make a catch it's better to back off the spot up the trail 50 yards but not this time of year and I'm not sure why. But I know what your saying cause if I try this in nov or early dec I have terrible luck...and 90 percent of my snares are in fence lines by roads.