Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 20:27

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coyote set suggestions?
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2015, 23:38 
Trapper
Trapper

Hey, I linger around this awesome site a lot. I have been wanting to get back into trapping for several years, but it has just been tough with circumstances of life.

Anyway, we raise sheep, and a few nights ago yotes killed a lamb in the pasture. Over the next two nights it was eaten up. I was trying to shoot them over it, but I was never there at the right time.

I picked up a few traps today, and intend on catching the dang things, right in my pasture. I have some bait, fox urine, etc. What set would work best under these conditions? I do know where they are entering the pasture, and want to try a blind set there... I would use snares, but the entrance point is non conducive to snaring.

Good old dirt hole? Urine post? Would using a non lamb bait be a detriment or asset?

Any advice would be great, this bunch of yotes has to go. I am very excited, as I have wanted to get back into it for years: Now I have a very good excuse!

Thanks.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 00:00 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I dont think yotes are too concerned over human scent anymore but you may need to clean the oil off the traps if theyre new? Standard dirt hole and scent post would be my choices also. Im not much on blind sets for K9s but i havent set many and have had even less luck. If possible a set right where they took the lambs down has worked for us many times when they've taken livestock or deer etc. even using any bones tey left as an added attractor/backing will make the set even more natural to them. Good luck. Im sure more ideas will be forthcoming.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 00:24 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks back woodsman. Yeah I am speed dipping the traps right now with formula one for ease and to get at the things. Can't afford more dead lambs....

Also, in my distant past when I was a trapperboy, I had good luck using blind sets by carving out the underside of the footprints in the snow. So long as the snow is a foot or so deep, and the yotes, (especially foxes) step into the previous tracks for ease of travel. It seems they have a pretty fair trail from the woods, but I have not investigated too thoroughly yet. The snow is a good 18 inches deep and soft and powdery, and so it is at the point where rather than break new trail, they probably will stick to the foot prints.

The good thing is these are farm coyotes whereby they know my scent, and seem very non spooked by it. I am out there every day, it is near our house, and I feed the lambs twice a day. They cross under a fence I climb over, and could care less that I had been there.

I am under a bit of pressure though, having spent 200 bucks on supplies: I need to prove to my wife I can still do it.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 09:42 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Ive never been a good K9 trapper plus not being able to use snares is a fairly decent handicap. A lot of areas here all the land sets have to be dog proof either by design or equipment. You may have a use for some snares? A exclusive line of footholds in that much snow is usually hard to maintain too.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 15:51 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

I'm no coyote expert by any means but if you can use snares I would put one right where they crawl under the fence.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 16:38 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

flattail wrote:
I am under a bit of pressure though, having spent 200 bucks on supplies: I need to prove to my wife I can still do it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 17:19 
Trapper
Trapper

Update:

Folks, I set my first yote trap in about 20 years this afternoon! It all came back to me in a rush when I dug the hole, bedded the trap, concealed it, baited it, dribbled out some fox urine, added a bit of wool for visual.

The other three traps are drying after dipping right now. I have a few high percentage places to set up at. I feel really good about the one set I made, and did not realize how much I missed laying steel for two decades.

I will keep you posted...

Regarding snares. The only issue I have Is I worry about our dog. I do plan to get some snares out too, but it can't be where the dog can roam. The spot where the yotes are entering the pasture, is between two 2 by six horizontal boards. They are squeezing through them. But the boards are 14 feet long, so they are entering in an area throughout about a four foot length of these boards, so snaring a the entry point would be tough.

They do have a fairy vigorous trail pounded in the snow leading to the entry point; a snare along this trail where it goes into the brush would be great, but again, I fear for my doggy. She doesn't go back there much, so I am semi comfortable with leg holds. The time I hang a snare though, is the time she would head out there to see what I had been up to. She is too big to squeeze through the fence boards, so I am currently setting IN the pasture.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 23:14 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Flattail, is your dog not broke to a lead? Seems the dogs I have snared have been tied before and have not fought the snare....but if your's isn't good with that, then I too would not set the snares.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 23:33 
Trapper
Trapper

She is but a young lass, so is a trainee in progress... :--D And if I set snares, they would be quick kill set ups...

Nice looking trapping partner!

I may set snares if I do not have success with the traps. I could keep Willow in the house for a few days...

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2015, 00:00 
Trapper
Trapper

Flattail I know what you are going threw, because I ranch as well, it sucks losing stock due to predators.. I use to mainly set dirt holes, but over the past few years the majority of my sets have been sent posts and blind sets.. And actually one of my favorite sets to use is the mafia set, which was just explained in another post,

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2015, 08:56 
Trapper
Trapper

Couldn't you just use a cable restraint instead of a snare? If your there every day and it it somewhere you can look at quick I would think that would work. That way if your pooch gets in to it he will not get hurt.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2015, 16:55 
Trapper
Trapper

So the dang things have not yet come back. I would have thought after feeding on lamb for three days, they would have returned in less than a week!

How long should I be patient for? When will they swing around again? When we lose chickens to coyotes, they are back on a daily basis in the summer, when the demand for energy one would assume must be far less, no?

It has been very cold. But no yotes. Is this normal? Because to me, it is not in my experience...

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2015, 17:35 
Trapper
Trapper

Be patient, coyotes have a can have a travel range from 6 to 8 miles and during winter depending on food sources, it can range much great than that.. Some collar studies have charted them to move a 100 plus miles.. As for really cold with wind and storming, I have noticed much less activity, once the weather moderates some it's like they really start to move again..

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2015, 18:16 
Trapper
Trapper

Chasingyotes wrote:
Be patient, coyotes have a can have a travel range from 6 to 8 miles and during winter depending on food sources, it can range much great than that.. Some collar studies have charted them to move a 100 plus miles.. As for really cold with wind and storming, I have noticed much less activity, once the weather moderates some it's like they really start to move again..

Yeah, I guess what surprises me, is a pasture full of tasty lambs they have recognized as food. I thought they would hang around more closely to the yard.

Not really stormy, just COLD!!!!

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2015, 18:45 
Trapper
Trapper

I really do not think a coyotes main diet is sheep or lamb, just like calves etc, what I see and have watched they are really good mousers, and rabbit killing machines.. Just be patient and hopefully when they do show back up, they will step on the two in circle..

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2015, 19:23 
Trapper
Trapper

The good thing is, the longer the traps sit there, and as it snows a bit and such, the less un-natural they will look too, huh? Maybe I should raise mice???!!! lol

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2015, 21:41 
Trapper
Trapper

Haha yea, and I should raise jack rabbits. But yes you are correct in the longer they sit more natural they will look, I also like to check my sets from a distance so there is not a constant track and or foot prints in the snow, When I got to relure is when I drive or walk in..

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2015, 22:08 
Trapper
Trapper

I am a firm believer in long distance, like 100 yards plus if possible, checks as well, hard as it is at times. How often do you re bait or re urine a set in cold weather, Chasingcoyotes?

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2015, 13:32 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Mouse baits are fairly easy to make by the way. Cable restraints may be a good alternative but i have bob idea how much they are or how they work etc. least that way you dog wont get hurt?

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2015, 16:45 
Trapper
Trapper

flattail wrote:
I am a firm believer in long distance, like 100 yards plus if possible, checks as well, hard as it is at times. How often do you re bait or re urine a set in cold weather, Chasingcoyotes?

In really cold temps like they are now, about once every two weeks, unless a catch is made then I will re lure and bait. Same goes for my post sets..

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2015, 12:53 
Trapper
Trapper

Update. Had yotes work two of my sets last night. One stepped ON THE PAN, but the drifting snow was just enough to make it not fire. GRRRR. In the other set, they missed the pan by about an inch. Made some adjustments. First action for me in 22 years!!!

Now, will they re-visit? I re-set.

Also, when it drifts like that, it seems there is not a thing you can do to make a trap fire, huh? The trap was only covered by about an inch of snow, but the stuff was hard as a rock. GRRR!

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2015, 19:30 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

flattail wrote:
Update. Had yotes work two of my sets last night. One stepped ON THE PAN, but the drifting snow was just enough to make it not fire. GRRRR. In the other set, they missed the pan by about an inch. Made some adjustments. First action for me in 22 years!!!

Now, will they re-visit? I re-set.

Also, when it drifts like that, it seems there is not a thing you can do to make a trap fire, huh? The trap was only covered by about an inch of snow, but the stuff was hard as a rock. GRRR!

Will they revisit? That particular yote may or may not. Depends on the type of set and lures and baits. His curosity of the scents is over and fullfilled. Then there is still the next one that comes by that has not smelled it. Game on for it. If it is a dirt hole type of set he may come back looking for a free meal though. I would do just as you did, remake and wait. If the set goes dead or seems to, I would put something different in it for him to raise his curosity back up. Either different bait or lure or both. Don't be afraid to change it up. Sometimes that is all it takes.