Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 04:31

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DP trap easy preset
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2015, 21:32 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

My brother has carpal tunnel in both hands and ive lost strength in mine over the years. We've been having issues getting some DPs set "in the field". When its just him or I or we're alone its becoming a big issue. Heres what we came up with. So far we found it only works with the tube style DPs with the wire bail jaw. We use old cut down mop handles, dowels, even little scrap pieces of PVC cut down to about 5". Anything about 3/4"- 1 1/2" will work really. We preset the DP at home however we can(i need to come up with or find a setter for some) and slip the "rod" in to catch the jaw in the set position. In the field we just have to compress the spring a smidgeon and set the dog and pull the rod out. Some just slide out(PVC for instance). Budda bing budda boom slick and quick. I keep a few preset in the trap tote now for quick resets. Billy timed me today and from dispatch to walking away it was 45 seconds. We just unhook the quick link and take the DP with us with the coon still in it and just poke the new one in and finish the set, hook up the quick link and spritz with call "lure"( fish oil etc) bait the DP and gone. It doesnt work with all DPs like the bandit busters but works with many.

Post subject: Re: DP trap easy preset
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2015, 15:37 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

What if you carried a small piece of sheet metal or something like that along with the piece of pvc or dowel rod in your tote or trapping pack? That way all you would have to do is lay the metal on the ground, lay the dp spring down on the metal and push, insert the pvc/dowel rod, and then set it. Is that along the lines of how you do it at home? I am new to dps, but my one friend uses them. He's a short guy with smaller hands and so he can't get very good leverage. That's actually how he sets his dps in the field. I've seen him do it. He's actually really quick at it too.

Post subject: Re: DP trap easy preset
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2015, 19:37 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Depending on the model of DP that may work very well. Good idea. We may experiment to see if thats an option for us. Time is always an issue for us too but we'll try it for certain. Welcome to the site by the way.