Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 04:12

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Caught my first coon.
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2015, 15:21 
Trapper
Trapper

So for Christmas holidays I came back to Texas to visit family and do a little hunting and maybe some trapping. I have never really trapped before although I have been prowling around here for several years. With the rain that has been hitting south east Texas recently I didnt think I would have a chance to lay some traps. I came completely unprepared, left my trap stakes at home had no dry dirt to cover my traps with never even dyed or cleaned my traps. Being un prepared as I was I went to the local feed store and found some 1/16th cable and some cable clamps to try and find a way to keep my traps from running away if I was lucky enough to catch something. I used some scouting tips that I have learned from here and round some good places to try water sets, log crossings are all over the creeks so I found one that I thought would be a coon crossing. I wrapped the cable around a small tree and did my best to try and disguise the trap with what I had at hand. I set the trap and made kinda like a dirt hole set i guess it would be I don't have any pics of the set but it was pretty sad looking to say the least. I covered the trap with green moss from the creek bank and a few leaves and left it with the pan exposed. I baited the hole with some sardines and left the area. The next morning I came back to check and I had a big ole boar coon in the trap rear foot caught. I was pumped, the lack of essential tools, equipment and proper trap prep I nailed my first catch in a coil spring trap. Image

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2015, 16:25 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

There you go, one trap, one coon. Now think what would have happened if you were prepared.. Good going and keep at it.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2015, 16:54 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks Wolf I had set another trap as a water set and the water went down over night. So it basically ended up as a dirt hole set with the trap about ten inches away from the hole with the trap completely in the open. I did how ever find that a bobcat had visited the hole so I moved the trap and set it about 6 inches back from the hole and added some tree branches to try and funnel the cat in but it didnt work the way I had imagined The cat visited again but missed the trap again. I am not discouraged, if anything I am more eager to learn from you all and get everything set up for next year. Although there is still time for trapping my work schedule is unpredictable and I don't have the tools or room for fleshing and putting up furs. I am not interested in selling the furs as of yet but with time when I get my shed built and learn the skinning and fleshing and boarding I will try selling them. For now I will keep the hides as trophies for my self and save money for more traps and tools of the trade and get better prepared for next season.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2015, 17:11 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Good job Dlog. Sardines are hard to beat for coon bait.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2015, 18:21 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks Doc, I caught one last year in a live trap with sardines so I figured it would work for foot holds too.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2015, 21:20 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Congrats Diog and welcome to a life long addiction lol.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2015, 22:29 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks Backwoods I wish I would have gotten into it sooner.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 10:31 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

good job.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 11:00 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Better late then never Diog.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 19:07 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Way to go! Its funny, but a person always seems to remember the first catch of critters. Glad you nailed him! Now try for another one...its just about as cool! Thanks for posting.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 21:52 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Welcome to the family Dlog! Congrats on the catch too!

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2015, 09:07 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Congrats on your first. Now your hooked :D

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2015, 07:56 
Trapper
Trapper

Welcome Dlog Nice catch

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2015, 21:53 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Congrats and welcome Dlog. Some advice, don't overlook dp coon traps when filling out your wish list. I ignored them for a few years until Amak finally beat it into me that they are awesome coon traps! The reason I bring this up is that you made dirthole sets and a dp is essentially a portable dirthole set, and they work incredibly well. I have several coon daggers, and 1 duke dp that I bought on clearance at a local farm store. :lol: Always said I'd never buy another duke trap, I guess if I find one on sale, my perspective changes.

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2015, 22:10 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Way to go on the coon

pepe lepue 3
greys 8
reds
coys3
Johnny sneekum hopefully
beaver 9
bobcat 7
otter 2

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2015, 04:52 

Congrats on the first coon Dlog!

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2015, 18:28 
Trapper
Trapper

Mohawk, I have a couple of the duke dp's but I forgot to pack them and my stakes I made. but I wont forget next time I get to go out.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2015, 19:32 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Dlog wrote:
Mohawk, I have a couple of the duke dp's but I forgot to pack them and my stakes I made. but I wont forget next time I get to go out.

Good deal! Once my hard headed behind tried em, I was hooked. :oops:

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2015, 23:43 
Trapper
Trapper

Mohawk have you tried the bridger t-3 dp traps? if so are they any good. I am just wondering because Minnesota trapping products has a kit that comes with 6 of them and six bridger 1 1/2's with a bunch of other stuff. Would it be worth it to get the kit for starters or should I just get everything separate?

Thanks DLog

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 07:38 
Trapper
Trapper

Dlog wrote:
Mohawk have you tried the bridger t-3 dp traps? if so are they any good. I am just wondering because Minnesota trapping products has a kit that comes with 6 of them and six bridger 1 1/2's with a bunch of other stuff. Would it be worth it to get the kit for starters or should I just get everything separate?

Thanks DLog

I can't speak for Mohawk but my son runs the Bridger DP's exclusivly. I can't say he never had a pull-out because he has but not many in two years of using them. As far as the kits go, you just need to decide if you want everything that comes in them or are some of the items just going to sit around and collect dust.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 12:32 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I think most of the modern new cylinder style dps are going to catch animals and hold for the most part. They are all very similar and only the smaller details are different that wont likely matter much. The one thing i always consider is the dps stake support. Some just dont fit what i do with them.

Buckeye trapping supplies also has a couple other dps that are very similar called "Blackhills dog proof raccoon traps". Great looking American made traps, but still very similar in looks and price. I think one is cast aluminum. Good or bad feature i know not.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 19:36 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

I can't speak on bridged do traps Dlog. I only have coon daggers and 1 duke. I would not be afraid of the bridged do if it looked like it would trip my trigger, so to speak. I like bridger traps, especially their #11 double long spring for coon. I absolutely hate a 1.5 coil spring for coon though,and wouldn't recommend them to anyone wanting to trap coon without putting them on a drowned. That's just my opinion though.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2015, 01:52 
Trapper
Trapper

Dlog noticed in another post your looking for ground not sure how it works in Texas but some public hunting areas are open for trapping in kansas as well if you are close to any you may ask a game warden or parks manager around area lakes or such. If not a plat book if you don't have one can be one of your best tools when looking for ground. I started on public ground and still do some limited work on them