Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 20:05

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need some advice please
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2014, 19:09 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Hey Guys, this is Shannon. Mark and I made a bet when we set out or traps on our land and I am behind with only a couple of days left. I still have several animals around my sets, but just can't connect. There is a dirt hole about 15' behind the camera and a urine post about 75yds behind that. There is another dirt hole just to the left of the camera image then another urine post about 100yds passed the camera. Mark don't want to help me since we made a bet and I need some suggestions for sets to catch the gray fox or cat, I will be very pleased with the yote as well.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2014, 19:42 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

We'll if mark won't consider this cheating ;-).. I cant help with the cats but greys or reds i might be able too? Are you using urine at all the sets? First id make a urine free set if you are, also a different bait or lure may help? Grey fox dig a lot of their food up. A buried bait set(s) would be a consideration of mine. Id put in multiples if your down to the wire and short on days. One of my old sets was a bait mound. You can use lure too in place of bait. If using bait dig a trench about as long as your bait. Cover with about 1"-3" of dirt. Bed 2 traps on different stakes or drags at the ends of the trench in the dirt môund itself. Maybe one set with each different bait/lure and maybe even one with a chunk of skunk meat or a chunk of a roadkill skunk, barring that maybe about 10'-20' from the mound one drop of skunk essence up in the air on a tree limb etc.. Also use a bock on the long side of the trench, fallen limb, few small rocks etc just stuff from the area. That usually moves fox n coons etc to the mound ends. Grey fox dont mind rusty traps too much by the way so if all of yours are dirty by now just make sure theres no urine or blood on'em and you'll be fine.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2014, 20:33 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Two questions. First one is that an enbankment on the opposite side of the fox and yote? Second is that a trail they are on or a two track field road? If the answer is yes, I have a very good set I use for that when they will not work the conventional sets.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2014, 20:55 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Richard Murray wrote:
Two questions. First one is that an enbankment on the opposite side of the fox and yote? Second is that a trail they are on or a two track field road? If the answer is yes, I have a very good set I use for that when they will not work the conventional sets.

It is a dam of a pond that has no water in it. Heavy pine thicket on the left side.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2014, 20:59 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Mafia set, right on that trail the coyote is on. If he isn't working your standard sets he can be caught with a well blended set, lure it with a good coyote gland lure and don't overdue it, just a pea size of gland on a rock about 10 inches from the trap. Something else that would work instead of the gland would be some fresh bladder urine from another coyote. When I have refusals I go to this type of set and it will catch the older shy coyotes.

Oh by the way. Only use a couple drops of the fresh urine.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2014, 21:09 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

What about fencing off the road and making a walk through set you can force a grey to set like a cat may not work for the coyote if fenced heavy but will nail the grey or the cat no bait needed just force them to a pinch point in their natural walking path they are all using the same track I would suggest at least 2 traps for this sorry wannabe :twisted:

pepe lepue 3
greys 8
reds
coys3
Johnny sneekum hopefully
beaver 9
bobcat 7
otter 2

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2014, 21:53 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

peace keeper wrote:
What about fencing off the road and making a walk through set you can force a grey to set like a cat may not work for the coyote if fenced heavy but will nail the grey or the cat no bait needed just force them to a pinch point in their natural walking path they are all using the same track I would suggest at least 2 traps for this sorry wannabe :twisted:

This is also what i'd do in that situation. by fencing off pk means blocking, and can be easily done with brush and branches. Block off the majority of the dam and only leave the one hole open on the main trail and set there. Try some of the other ideas on here at each end of the dam but block it off in the middle part of the dam. Basically a blind set....force the animal to encounter the trap. Like i said, do some of the other ideas at each end of dam so as to pick up the coyote more easily in them.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2014, 22:06 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Sac Creek wrote:
Mafia set, right on that trail the coyote is on. If he isn't working your standard sets he can be caught with a well blended set, lure it with a good coyote gland lure and don't overdue it, just a pea size of gland on a rock about 10 inches from the trap. Something else that would work instead of the gland would be some fresh bladder urine from another coyote. When I have refusals I go to this type of set and it will catch the older shy coyotes.

Oh by the way. Only use a couple drops of the fresh urine.

Exactly!! That's the set I was going to suggest Jeff. The mafia is a yote taker and will take cats to. It is my favorite coming January. It is a Craig O'gorman set. It is supreme in cattle trails and trails of such. I have already taken several in it this year, including the last one in the open prairie. I most of the time use scat in the middle of the trail, just to slow them down. They can not pass up a pile of crap with out taking a smell. Once he is stopped then he is in trouble. I put the scat about 12" out from the lever and then the gland lure off to the side 12". I use urine to freshin up the scat if it is a little dried out. Sometimes I will use a coyote foot off to the side with the gland lure on it. Works very nice.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014, 09:43 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I see Shannon's ploy here. :|

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014, 09:58 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

wannab wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014, 11:26 
Trapper
Trapper

Hey mark tell Shannon to pick her user name and get on here. Then we can pm her :twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen: you do want good competition right jk.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014, 11:56 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

wannab wrote:

Oops :shock: :--o 8|- :lol: :lol: :lol: sorry wannabe ;--)

pepe lepue 3
greys 8
reds
coys3
Johnny sneekum hopefully
beaver 9
bobcat 7
otter 2

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014, 12:12 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

LittleT wrote:
Hey mark tell Shannon to pick her user name and get on here. Then we can pm her :twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen: you do want good competition right jk.

If I did that, someone might steal my catch.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014, 13:44 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

This is Shannon again - Thank you all for your advice, however i have no clue what a mafia set is. Can someone please explain that to me? This is my first time setting traps by myself with no help, so i am pretty pleased with my catches so far. I had a really good teacher, so win or loose the competition. I am still a winner :D

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014, 17:52 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

wannab wrote:
This is Shannon again - Thank you all for your advice, however i have no clue what a mafia set is.

Ditto...what is a Mafia Set?

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014, 18:00 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Swamp Rat wrote:
wannab wrote:
This is Shannon again - Thank you all for your advice, however i have no clue what a mafia set is.

Ditto...what is a Mafia Set?

Workin on that now. Trying to resize pics in photo bucket and wife is not home to do it for me. :oops:

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014, 18:34 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

wannab wrote:
This is Shannon again - Thank you all for your advice, however i have no clue what a mafia set is. Can someone please explain that to me?

Shannon, both pics are the mafia set. It is a simple trail set, fast and eay to make with a little practice. There are variations to it also. In the top pic you will notice the scat that I placed in the trail. I collect all the yote and cat scat that I come across and also I collect it out of the ones I skin also. The fresher the better, but it can be freshened up with urine though after the set is made. First dig trap bed tight to one side of the trail and bed trap to where the dog side is against the edge of the trail. Blend very well. If you are in a dirt trail I always use my sifter and scrape the trail with it an arms length both ways of the trap before digging the trap bed. Do not disgard what you scrape back as you will use that for the final blending. If you are in a grass trail be sure you do not disrupt any surrounding around the trap bed. You want the set to look the same when you walk away from it as it was when you first got there. In grass trails you will blend back with grass clippings. It is basically a blind set with eye appeal (scat), glands and a little urine. The scat is a stopper. What I mean by that is no critter can seem to go by scat with out stopping to take a smell whether they are hunting or not. Once it is stopped then that is when the glands or gland lure takes over. Be sure the trap jaws are parallel in the trail. After bedding in a dirt trail use use what you scraped back for the final sifting an arms length both ways this will make for a good blending of about 6'. If in grass trail after bedding use grass clippings to blend every thing in. Grass is a little harder to blend, but can be done. When blending is finished place scat in the middle of the trail about 12" pan center, don't matter what end of the trap it is. Now take glands or gland lure and place in grass straight out from trap off the trail about 10' pan center. BE east with the lure, only about a pea size glob is all it takes. You can use a little urine on the scat to freshin it up. Like Sac Creek said, bladder urine is better if you have it, but only use a few drops. Like in your cam pics, make sure the lure is on the bank side of the trap.
If the trail set is on an incline like in my bottom pic be sure to place the scat on the up hill side of the trap. The bottom pic took 3 yotes last year and the top took 1. They wanted nothing to do with my dirt holes close by.
You also mentioned you don't have much time, another variation you can do is use two traps in the trail with the levers almost touching but not quite. When blending is finished place the scat between the two levers with glands under the scat. This way what ever way they aproach down the trail to the scat and gland both ways are guarded. Very deadly. I really like this for coons that are uncovering my pans. It takes care of the trouble makers the next time they come through, but it involves two traps. I don't like useing two traps, but if you are about out of time or have a trouble maker messing with you, it will be their last time. Has not failed me yet. You don't even have to use a lure at this set. The scat and a little urine with two traps will do it just fine for a wise yote. Hope this helps and hope I didn't confuse you. Any questions just ask away. :wink:

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014, 19:05 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Don't give her to much help guy's, I can't get beat by a rookie woman!! However; with the bet we made, even if I loose, I still win! ;--) :mrgreen:
Today she caught this yote and a grinner. I caught another yote and a really nice buzzard. I'm still trying to skin the dang thang. :evil:

Right now I have: 3 yotes, 1 cat, 2 grinners, 2 coon, and a buzzard.
She has: 1 cat, 2 yotes, 1 coon, and 1 grinner
So it's 9 to 5 my favor. Now she is wanting to go on a point system where grinners and buzzards are worth negative points. I say screw that, it's numbers baby!!

Her yote

My yote

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014, 19:08 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

That is a nice looking coyote for our part of the world. Hang in there and maybe Shannon won't beat you, but don't count on it. :lol:

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014, 19:22 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Now I know where all the nice looking yotes are in Texas. Wannab and Shannon place. Great job you two!! :wink:

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014, 19:24 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Excellent job Richard. OG would be proud I think. Sometime I don't use scat but if I do have some with me I will. A lot of time you find scat on a cow trail by the resident coyote. I will pick this up and put it in my bucket in the truck, in its place on the trail I will use a different coyotes scat. Good territorial reaction.

This set works well on a trail into an area that you have other sets. I have taken multiple catches at these sights with pups filling up the traditional dirtholes and usually will catch the older (Hey, I am talking about a female canine here) 30 feet away in the Mafia Set.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014, 19:28 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

wannabe, I think Shannon's coyote is a better quality pelt. Thence should be worth a few more points. :D

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014, 20:32 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Good going Mark and Shannon. Win or lose you both are having fun. Mark I think you deserve a 2 point penalty for the buzzard unless you trapped it to eat? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014, 20:54 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Sac Creek wrote:
A lot of time you find scat on a cow trail by the resident coyote. I will pick this up and put it in my bucket in the truck, in its place on the trail I will use a different coyotes scat. Good territorial reaction.

x2. It will make the hackle stand tall.lol. On pond dams where there is shorter grass I will find where they have back kicked and leave a new pile by doing this. Made them a little upset.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014, 20:55 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

wolf1199 wrote:
Mark I think you deserve a 2 point penalty for the buzzard unless you trapped it to eat? :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :P