Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 16 Oct 2017, 18:51

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2014, 02:04 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I bought 3 square jaw Bridger no.3 coils and want to usem for beaver. Anyone ever used these? Guy said they were just a few years old but with the square jaws? Theyre very strong and ive used no.3 for beavers before but not Bridgers. Ive got ones i prefer but dont wanna losem(Johnny sneakum, picked up a big marsh(for here anyhow 30ish acres)and its right beside a highway and beaver gotta go along with the rats)and only got $7 each in'em. These look to be stock also from lookin on the net.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2014, 08:52 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yes Back I do. I gave it a shot last season with the #3 bridger and was pleased. A beaver trapper in Iowa that catches them in big numbers uses the #3 bridger for them because of the taller jaws and he targets the front foot. He said that with the taller jaws that it hits higher up on the front leg and does not allow the beaver to twist off. He uses the trench set to guide them in over the trap. So I gave it a go with the bridger and found he was spot on. The beaver had been in the trap most of the day because I had a doctors appointment that early mornin and was gone most of the day. So I checked it that evening when I returned. He was not in the water either because he managed to pull my weights to the bank and with the lams on the jaws there was no damage at all. Was very pleased with how it held. :wink:

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2014, 17:12 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thank you Richard. I set part of the marsh today for rats and beaver and just used some "cheap" no.3 and no.4 jumps but I'll set the Bridgers out tomorrow in a few spots on it. I prefer not to use my "uber" traps(LS's, no.14's, older coils etc etc). Thanks again, that gives me some confidence in them.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2014, 20:29 
Trapper
Trapper

Yep, I use them for beaver and have no issues holding them by either the front or rear foot.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2014, 21:38 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

make sure you put a decent amount of pan tension on them. I see a lot of guys that don't, then they get a few belly hairs and that's it.

Beaver--2
Muskrat-0
Squirrel-6
Fox------2
Coon----1

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2015, 01:42 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thsnk you all. I didnt use a scale but we put a lot of tension on the Bridgers. Guessin 4-5lbs? We've finally started icing up here in the ponds and lakes and we converted the 3 sets for them into under ice pole sets this afternoon.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2015, 13:40 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

On our under ice sets i like a light pan so we lightened the Bridgers up when we put'em on poles. Had 2 that were tripped and finally this morning a little 15lber(beaver) was waiting for us. Left front foot. But the Bridger worked food for him. I do think we need to tightened up a little. Maybe another lb or so?