Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 18 Dec 2017, 17:29

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2015, 20:49 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

I had a deal like that once, I cut a cat track (when we got snow once :roll: ) on an oil field road that wasn't in use at the time. I drug out a bunch of fallen limbs and junk into the road and sorta dammed it up, leaving a gap right where the cat traveled. I find it to be a sort of sin to rub out a cat track.:lol: I went all out, I thought, using flagging tape and a duck wing to blow in the breeze. :roll: Anyway, the following is a pic of the set as I left it:

A number of days later, I got her! Pure luck to say the least, but it worked once!

Generally I'll set a dirthole on the road edge, that's worked a few times. I don't know what sets you have out, but maybe a blind set would do the trick for you if you can pinch the cats down.

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2015, 21:03 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Mohawk wrote:
I had a deal like that once, I cut a cat track (when we got snow once :roll: ) on an oil field road that wasn't in use at the time. I drug out a bunch of fallen limbs and junk into the road and sorta dammed it up, leaving a gap right where the cat traveled. I find it to be a sort of sin to rub out a cat track.:lol: I went all out, I thought, using flagging tape and a duck wing to blow in the breeze. :roll: Anyway, the following is a pic of the set as I left it:

A number of days later, I got her! Pure luck to say the least, but it worked once!

Generally I'll set a dirthole on the road edge, that's worked a few times. I don't know what sets you have out, but maybe a blind set would do the trick for you if you can pinch the cats down.

I have thought about doing this, but with the pond being empty, they have a very large area to go around. Not sure if its worth the work if they are going to go around

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2015, 21:12 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Here is a Google pic of the area. The pond does not have any water in it, and the area inside the red circle has been cleared for deer hunting. The trees on the West side of the dam have been removed.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2015, 22:47 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

I'm not the best at looking at a pic and tearing it apart, but I can see a few things that catch my attention. Is this an 80 with a road dividing it? North being up, I would like to see that south end of the road as well as the drainage ditch that appears to cross the road into the neighbors block of timber! I would have to guess that there is a ditch running into the pond as well as the one going away, which has my attention. Also, it almost looks like a ridgeline on the east end of the property with a creek running along it. PURR! Right at the corner where that creek I think I'm seeing goes south across the fence may be a nice lil funnel. I'm kind of having trouble seeing the finer details, need a new prescription I think for eye correction. :oops:
Basically, it looks like you're surrounded with cats. You've got neighbors with mature timber maybe along with some scrub brush, and your property looks to be solid huntin area for them too. Is the pond grown up with brush and weeds since it's dry? How bout that clearing within the red circle? Is it grown up with new growth brush or does it get mowed off? I've never been south of Oklahoma City ( and was too young to remember going there), so I don't really know what I'm looking at vegetation wise. I do like the looks of the place, should be a cat haven with lots of travel through it and good huntin for them as they go.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2015, 23:25 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Wannab, if you block down the side of the dam next to where they are traveling even just 3 foot, then block off the rest of the top leaving only that edge they keep traveling open....the cats wont go around. They are traveling it for a reason. It is still easier for them to go through a hole you leave open (which should be where they travel naturally) then it is going down and around. It dont have to be impenetrable and like a fort. Just enough to suggest its easiest to go through where your trap is. A few limbs does the trick. Put em on each side even if down the dam just a short bit. Block them in with smaller sticks so they must travel over the pan. You do that and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt you will nail the cats. It dont matter if the pond is dry, they could choose to travel there right now but they aren't. They are on a route to the shortest easiest distance right there. Honestly its a text book cat set spot that I dream of locating. Duck soup if you get my drift.

Make right at the trap look like this with the brush blocking leading right up to the trap on both sides. All you need is a good brushy suggestion that says "pass through here, its easy!" Block em in to the width of the jaws and expose the pan. You have to use a under pan gaurd like polyfill.

Last edited by Amak on 11 Feb 2015, 23:36, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2015, 23:31 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I never pass up a dam for making predator sets. Even if the pond is empty, every predator will visit and cross over dam. Just something they do.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2015, 01:08 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

remrogers wrote:
I never pass up a dam for making predator sets. Even if the pond is empty, every predator will visit and cross over dam. Just something they do.

x2 on that

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2015, 14:54 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Mohawk wrote:
I'm not the best at looking at a pic and tearing it apart, but I can see a few things that catch my attention. Is this an 80 with a road dividing it? North being up, I would like to see that south end of the road as well as the drainage ditch that appears to cross the road into the neighbors block of timber! I would have to guess that there is a ditch running into the pond as well as the one going away, which has my attention. Also, it almost looks like a ridgeline on the east end of the property with a creek running along it. PURR! Right at the corner where that creek I think I'm seeing goes south across the fence may be a nice lil funnel. I'm kind of having trouble seeing the finer details, need a new prescription I think for eye correction. :oops:
Basically, it looks like you're surrounded with cats. You've got neighbors with mature timber maybe along with some scrub brush, and your property looks to be solid huntin area for them too. Is the pond grown up with brush and weeds since it's dry? How bout that clearing within the red circle? Is it grown up with new growth brush or does it get mowed off? I've never been south of Oklahoma City ( and was too young to remember going there), so I don't really know what I'm looking at vegetation wise. I do like the looks of the place, should be a cat haven with lots of travel through it and good huntin for them as they go.

Yes it is an 80 with a pipeline dividing it. The drainage into the pond is on the neighbors place, and where it comes out it is so grown up and thick you can hardly run a rabbit through it. That is not a ridge line on the East side, it is old growth hardwood with younger pine trees in front to give it that look. There is a 19,000 acre lake 1 mile behind that. The pond has grass growing on the East side and willows on the West. When I say the area was cleared for hunting I rented a Bobcat with a forestry cutter head and mulched the area. I left quite a few trees, but the ground is clear. We have been told by several people that there are cats everywhere, and i believe them.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2015, 14:57 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Well we didn catch anything again last night. I was hoping to post more pix today, but some butthole stole one of my game cams!! Had a few choice words for him!!! Found two sets of track came in at the front gate across the dam picking up the cam then out the back of the place. :evil: :evil: :evil: I was going to set a couple of LDL body grips in wooden cubbies I built, but I don't want them stolen too.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2015, 17:21 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Wannab, it still amazes me that some folks just have to steal. I know you are not a happy camper over that situation. Good luck on more cat catches.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2015, 17:37 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Amak wrote:
Wannab, if you block down the side of the dam next to where they are traveling even just 3 foot, then block off the rest of the top leaving only that edge they keep traveling open....the cats wont go around. They are traveling it for a reason. It is still easier for them to go through a hole you leave open (which should be where they travel naturally) then it is going down and around. It dont have to be impenetrable and like a fort. Just enough to suggest its easiest to go through where your trap is. A few limbs does the trick. Put em on each side even if down the dam just a short bit. Block them in with smaller sticks so they must travel over the pan. You do that and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt you will nail the cats. It dont matter if the pond is dry, they could choose to travel there right now but they aren't. They are on a route to the shortest easiest distance right there. Honestly its a text book cat set spot that I dream of locating. Duck soup if you get my drift.

Make right at the trap look like this with the brush blocking leading right up to the trap on both sides. All you need is a good brushy suggestion that says "pass through here, its easy!" Block em in to the width of the jaws and expose the pan. You have to use a under pan gaurd like polyfill.

Thanks Amak, I am going to give this a try. Shannon said she wanted to camp out at the land for Valentines Day, so I'll take the chain saw, set it up and see what happens.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2015, 06:21 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Id do it somewhere besides the ends of the dam personally.

Chain saw? I always just grab a few dead branches lying about. I dont know what the timber/cover looks like there though. I never try to build a structural road block. I mean the animals are going through that one spot naturally anyway
Along the top edge even without any blocking. It wont take much wannab, just a little insurance and something to help gaurantee you that they will pass over your trap. Try to use the power of suggestion rather then structural force in this case, since you already know where to place the trap and know where they travel naturally.. If you want put lure down low along the edges of the set on each side.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2015, 13:32 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Snagged number 5 last night. Did not catch him on the pond dam, but a catch is a catch! This is the third cat caught in this spot, kinda think we found a cat highway. :--D

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2015, 16:58 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Great catch Mark and nice looking cat.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2015, 21:59 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Well marked cat wannab....and heavily armed with a sledge and machete! :shock:

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2015, 06:58 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Nice job Mark and Shannon! Beautiful cat right there. So glad you guys got him. Here's to hoping for a pile more for ya! :--D

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2015, 17:01 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Nice cat !! Good job.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2015, 18:30 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Lightning strikes again!! Caught this nice little female last night. We turned her loose so she could hopeful go make more for us to catch. We also caught a very nice bore coon in our new LDL body grip traps, I was very surprised and pleased with the condition of the fur, no rubs, or damage from fighting.

URL=http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/msjordan10/media/20150214_113938_zpsoqsgi9mp.jpg.html]Image[/URL]

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2015, 19:05 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Very pretty lil female guys! Hats off to yous for releasing her. She's a cutie for sure. Man that LDL Mag puts the crunch on them coon dont they? Lol! That took him out quick. Really nice job.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2015, 19:11 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

:D :) :) :)

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2015, 23:52 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Great catches wannab! Them cats are addictive, ain't they? Looks like a sweet coon too, love them 160s for coons. They're bad medicine :lol:

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2015, 06:45 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Now you're talking! Nothing like a repeat on cats. That looked like a very nice coon for our part of the country. I doubt the Ol Santa that sent the traps has had few if any coons in his LDLs.

That being a small female bobcat, has anyone ever kept up with an average of the sizes of females? Some of us that trap down this way have decided our average females come out being about 14-15lbs.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2015, 09:04 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Swamp Rat wrote:
Now you're talking! Nothing like a repeat on cats. That looked like a very nice coon for our part of the country. I doubt the Ol Santa that sent the traps has had few if any coons in his LDLs.

That being a small female bobcat, has anyone ever kept up with an average of the sizes of females? Some of us that trap down this way have decided our average females come out being about 14-15lbs.

No exotic fur up here Swamp and yes the answer is no coon ever. Mohawk they are 220s not 160s.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2015, 20:47 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Swamp Rat wrote:

Swamp, I would have guessed her around the 14-15lb range, and we debated for a long time whether to keep her or not, even after we released her she sat there for at least ten minutes and we kept saying "should we keep her or let her go" I kinda wanted to keep her and have her tanned, but we decided it would be bed to let her breed and have more cats.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2015, 20:51 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nice action all around!!!! Just have to have little Miss Kitty draw her big boyfriends in :mrgreen:

Genesis 1:26