Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 10 Dec 2017, 21:24

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Want better traps
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2014, 09:54 
Trapper
Trapper

This year I started out getting 12 Duke #2 and 12 Duke dp's. I want to get better traps next year. Seems that Mp 550, bridger and Victor are good quality. What way should I go. I have taken fox with #2s, but I would like to get something that I don't have to adjust in the field, something a little better grade. I have no complaints with the Dps

Post subject: Re: Want better traps
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2014, 10:15 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

well in my opinion wich was developed by (Amac CatmanJR and a few others) although pricy I don't think you can go wrong with MB brand traps I have since up graded to the 450 fox specials 550 and 650 offsets and I could not be more happy with their performance just recently took a coyote in a walk through with a staked 450 set for a fox in a open field thought for sure it would of pulled out but it was there waiting for my

pepe lepue 3
greys 8
reds
coys3
Johnny sneekum hopefully
beaver 9
bobcat 7
otter 2

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2014, 12:52 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Bridger and vics will still require tinkering, even out in the field (vics especially, and just for information, duke patterned their trap off the vics). Most people for their all around use use the mb 550. I like the 550, but I much prefer the 650. If I was going after strictly yotes, I'd probably use the 550, but I mainly chase cats, and I want a bigger trap, so I prefer the 650. For fox, the 450(my choice) or 550 do well.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2014, 13:12 
Trapper
Trapper

I was running bridger 1.75's for the last couple years. While I like them and have caught my share of animals I felt the need for something a little bigger. Last spring I got a half dozen of the bridger 2 dogless and then a few months ago bought a dozen mb550's. While they both are super traps, I think I like the dogless Bridgers better. I can't really say why but I do feel they are a great trap.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2014, 14:55 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Vics are just and American made equivalent to the dukes. And an embarrassment to the industry. If they didn't have the reputation they earned with their older traps, they would be out of business.

I have been fairly happy with my Bridgers, though the newer ones seem to have gone down in quality some.

I haven't used any MBs, I own one 750 wolfer. But they seem to be about the best quality out there. If I was going to buy new traps that's probably the route I would go.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2014, 17:05 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Im just about going to have to second virtually everything posted already. I will see about adding just a few things to keep info flowing.

On the bridgers, alot will have to do with size and style as far as getting a yes nod from me. About 50% of them I have delt with, I have literally hated and would have much rather owned dukes instead. However they do have some sizes and styles that excel. I will never buy their coil spring 1.5, or 1.65...... and am not too awfully impressed with the new style 1.75 because they bend too easy, but arent bad for the price. Their bigger traps arent too bad, and as I understand it, the new dogless are serving well but need the modified ones so they for sure hold up on yotes. Also, I really adore their #11 DLS as a coon trap.

As far as MB, I own the 450, 550, and 650. I have yet to be dissappointed in them or felt like another trap would do me any better in any other way....but they are costly. On a tight budget, or itf you are one of the penny pinchers,,,, may want to go another route. If you are intetested in a fully modified trap, its very difficult to not just go the extra pennies and get the MB as it comes heavy built as a tank and most are fully modified or equivalent to that, and I seriously doubt you will ever be doing very many field adjustments.

One other trap make that is a very solid and well built trap is Sleepy Creek traps. I own some and am very impressed. However with the price being so close to MB in comparable traps, i personally dont think i can justify them over the MB.
But they are a good reliable trap none the less.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2014, 19:00 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I would not hesitate for one second to sell or trade my 650's to get more #3 bridger dogless. Also they are just as coyote proof has any trap on the market. I have both. There are a couple mods I do make on my bridgers before setting on the line, but they are easy and small. No tinkering in the field with them at all. My pans on them do sit lower then the 650's with the adjustments I have made on them. There are a couple of things about the 650's that I dislike very much, but am not going to open that can of worms. Just my two cents guys.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2014, 19:49 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Richard Murray wrote:
I would not hesitate for one second to sell or trade my 650's to get more #3 bridger dogless. Also they are just as coyote proof has any trap on the market. I have both. There are a couple mods I do make on my bridgers before setting on the line, but they are easy and small. No tinkering in the field with them at all. My pans on them do sit lower then the 650's with the adjustments I have made on them. There are a couple of things about the 650's that I dislike very much, but am not going to open that can of worms. Just my two cents guys.

I dont have any bridger #3....but if you dislike your 650's that much why dont you trade them to me for Montana #3? Id gladly trade.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2014, 20:22 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Amak wrote:
Richard Murray wrote:

I dont have any bridger #3....but if you dislike your 650's that much why dont you trade them to me for Montana #3? Id gladly trade.

I would gladly for dogless bridgers, but not for Montana's. :shock: :lol:

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2014, 21:03 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Richard Murray wrote:
Amak wrote:
Richard Murray wrote:

So then, you like the 650's better then #3 Montana specials at least! Lol! Which bridgers will you trade for, modified or unmodified?

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2014, 22:44 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Amak wrote:
Richard Murray wrote:
Amak wrote:
Richard Murray wrote:

Which bridgers will you trade for, modified or unmodified?

Either. :wink:

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2014, 13:20 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Richard Murray wrote:
Amak wrote:
Richard Murray wrote:
Amak wrote:
Richard Murray wrote:

ive got som bridger number 3s might be interested if little t will let me but they are on the lines right now

pepe lepue 3
greys 8
reds
coys3
Johnny sneekum hopefully
beaver 9
bobcat 7
otter 2

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2014, 19:30 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

peace keeper wrote:
Richard Murray wrote:
Amak wrote:
Richard Murray wrote:
Amak wrote:
Richard Murray wrote:

ive got som bridger number 3s might be interested if little t will let me but they are on the lines right now

As long as they are the new dogless, I am game.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2014, 19:50 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

I had a Bridger #3 once, old style with the dog. It was a good trap. Had it not been for the MB 650, I would have continued buying the Bridger. I have laid hands on the MB 550 and LOVE IT! I don't have any, but may end up with some one day. I also had some Bridger 1.5 coils. Hated them with a passion and traded em off for some #3 and #4 DLS traps.

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2014, 22:08 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

You folks are pathetic. All this talk about MBs and Bridgers. Not a single mention of the best trap there is. Just pathetic, I am sorely disappointed in you all.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2014, 22:15 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Woodswalker wrote:
the best trap there is

......that would be the one with a nice spotted backed pale bobcat in it! :mrgreen:

Lol! Kidding....I know you are a dedicated long spring guy, is that what you refer to?

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2014, 22:24 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Amak wrote:
Woodswalker wrote:
the best trap there is

......that would be the one with a nice spotted backed pale bobcat in it! :mrgreen:

Lol! Kidding....I know you are a dedicated long spring guy, is that what you refer to?

Yupper, the trap with a paw in it.

I have a few Coils I use also. I am going to be working them over during the off season.
Just seems like those old longspring grab ahold and don't let go.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2014, 23:01 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Years back when I used leg holds the victor long spring was a very good and dependable trap. The number 2 was a very good fox trap as the number 3 but a bit of over kill.. The number 4 was a good beaver trap and would take the odd wolf with it. The jump trap made by Oneida was more to my liking as it would come up faster through the snow then a long spring. Coil spring traps up here were non existent at that time. But there was a big flaw with them as well. The tight wound spring on them would freeze solid when moisture seeped onto the spring. Over the years now they have made things better. If I had to go back to leg hold traps it would be the jump and long spring, no coil. That's just for my conditions and what has worked super for me for half my life trapping. Every trap has it's time and place. Some just out shine others.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2014, 19:53 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I still got quite a few DLS traps in #3 and #4 don't use them much any more, but will hang in the barn until the kids bury me.
Also have a dozen or so jump traps that I haven't used in probably 30 years. I never was a jump trap fan on coyotes.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2014, 21:39 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

1 1/2 jumps are my favorite Marten traps. I have to pack into a lot of areas so I need something light. And they hold quite well. I am getting ready to run a line about three miles up into the Selway. Long hike but beautiful doghair timber.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2014, 18:36 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

I use #3 and #4 DLS for cats and yotes, and love em. They work quite well.

Of course I have no heartburn with the MB 650 either. :wink:

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2014, 21:11 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I would be willing to bet that the old Victor #3 longspring has caught more Yotes than any other trap ever has or probably ever will. (I like Blakes better though) Kind of the 30.06 of the trapping world.