Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 10:46

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: beaver questions
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2014, 20:43 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I have three 330 connibears, and a duke #4 and 17 snares. When it comes to snaring beaver in water, how much of the snare is in water? I've read 2/3 snare of the snare is in water with the snare loop being 10 inches. My duke #4 will be at a castor mound set with a drowner cable. Same with my 330s, they will be at castor sets. I have an idea for my snares though. The bank is mostly straight up and down, and the places that I can get to the water will get the castor sets, but the steep parts im thinking about setting a "snare pole set". Its used in the upper Midwest for under the ice snaring but I think I can use it for open water snaring. The idea I have is take a green pole as thick as my arm about 8 foot long and strip off most of the bark and attach the snare to the pole, and anchor the snare to the bank up high where the beaver cant reach. Then while standing on the high bank, shove the whole thing into the water and into the mud until the snare is at the correct level/depth. The green pole will have castor lure smeared on the snare side, and it will be set up so the snare will be near the bank. The beaver when he swims between the pole and bank to sniff the castor he will go through the snare and be caught I hope 8). I hope you understand what im saying lol. Any opinions or ideas?

8 Raccoons

"Every creature that is alive is yours to eat; I give them all to you as I did the green plants."
Genesis 9:3

Post subject: Re: beaver questions
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2014, 22:45 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

anything green will probable be eaten when a catch is made.use your snares at castor mounds also,deep water you can put them on drowning locks and let them go deep.i've also found a good snare set is just a solid tree out in the water, anchor your snare under water to it,use wire to hold your loop half in/half out and smear castor lure on the tree.they smell the lure,swim around and hit the snare.

life member pta distric #1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
i have trapped in nebraska,michigan,new york,alaska and pa.
us air force retired.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2014, 23:45 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

CG..I used a similar setup after they legalized snares here. I wasnt inpressedwithour catch ratios. 2-4 snares on a dead pole. Wire fresh green sticks to te poke and hung the snares out about 2' from it. Textbook under ice snare set and if we were kicin in beaver we'd starved to death the first week. Switçhed to using the under ice pole set for legholds and did better. I think the original snare set was too open and the odds were low theyd stick their heads in the exact spot needed. Check your game regs too as some states have depth laws with snares.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2014, 12:24 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

My first concern is involving pelt damage. After all, why else do we trap if not for the pelt? I learned this in the school of hard knocks. Anytime you tie off a beaver to a dry or otherwise solidly staked snare, the beavers are so strong that they do extensive damage to their pelt in the form of broken hair, all the way around where the snare is. That goes down as an automatic damaged pelt at NAFA.....and damaged beaver goods bring squat, no matter how much work we put in on them. The answer is to drown the snared beaver just as if you were using a foothold. Plus that also keeps other beavs from coming along and carving up your pelt with them teeth. So, in my view, instead of bringing them up on land, take them the other way and do yourself and the beaver a favor.

I have snared a bunch of beavers. Day in and day out, a 10-12" loop with the very bottom of the snare being submerged 2-3"under in open water gets them every single time. Unless beavs are educated, they are not hard to catch at all even with snares. Try to think simple. Any natural pinch points in the water, slides in and out....or make an easy castor set by forming a pinch point chute with mid sized dead limbs reaching from bank out into water. Set snare on water end and castor on a small stick about 10 inches from bank and 2" above water level. Very easy in most instances. Same set works very well for 330 too. If water gets too deep to fast, angle it.