Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 02:15

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lure shy beaver
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2014, 20:37 
Trapper
Trapper

I've been trying to trap beaver since October, and haven't been able to get them to come to lure except for once or twice. We have to use cage traps, so it is a challenge. Tried a lot of lures, but they don't seem interested in them. I know they are there because of dams, fresh pullouts and cutting etc, along with tracks. Does anybody have any ideas of what might be wrong? I've tried several locations too, but all with the same results.

Post subject: Re: Lure shy beaver
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2014, 23:08 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

How big are your cages? That's a tough one. Colorado laws suck. If you are able to get to the run entrances, maybe put the cage opening right up against it and when the beaver swims out he will swim straight into the cage like a 330. Even a very narrowed down spot with the cage half in the water and blocked off heavy. Don't know if all this will work, but I was thinking when the beaver swims in and could not go through it would stop and turn around if it can and put its feet down and trigger the treddle. Just a thought maybe but don't really know Boone since you can't seem to get them to enter on dry land. :wink:

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2014, 23:18 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

He could be in Washington or New Jersey.

TFH - Where are you located.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2014, 23:35 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Wow.. And i thought we had it bad.. I dont know if a beaver would commit to a cage style trap? Naybe young/dumb kits? Maybe try non castor lures or fresh peeled sticks from the area? I dont envy you. Id love to know when you catch one. Can you use the encapsulating traps?

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2014, 23:42 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

remrogers wrote:
He could be in Washington or New Jersey.

TFH - Where are you located.

He is in Colorado. I know him. :wink:

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2014, 08:21 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Are you having to use a hancock style live trap or some other type?

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2014, 08:55 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

My hat goes of to TFH! A youg lad that gets after it with them cages and does not give up. 8) I would be pulling my beard out by now. :shock: :lol:

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2014, 21:40 
Trapper
Trapper

I don't have a hancock, but do have a bailey, which is about the same thing. When I have $400 I feel like blowing on a trap, I will get a koro, hopefully more than one, because they are one of the best beaver cage traps. I got 4 beavers in bobcat guillotine door traps last year, and a few rats and coon. Tried to use a beaver food lure and caught 3 rats 3 nights in a row and have caught a couple coon with it. It seems like they don't like the lure, or maybe it is just the beaver. When I find a den, I put the bobcat trap up against it. So far, both dens I have tried that with proved to not be dens. One I thought for sure was, because it was under a tree they were cutting down, and had claw and brush marks going into the den. I know a place where there is a muddy run and what looks like a den on the other side of a channel. I have only had boots on when I go down there, and the mud has to be a few feet deep, so I need to take waders and go look. My plan is to set the bobcat trap in front of the den, and the bailey in the run. There are lots of tracks and marks in and around the run too, along with muskrats and rats dens close to there food pile. I want to find where the rat dens are, and set them up like a beaver den. I saw one swimming around under water when I was there the other day. Lots of beavers and rats around here, just hard to catch. I've even put the bailey as a blind set and they haven't gone over it except once. Thanks for the help, I'll see what happens. All the ones I did catch last year where yearlings. I don't think the adults that I caught on trail camera would have fit in the size trap I had down there.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2014, 23:23 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Oh boy. Yeah you got it tough. I've used a hancock quite a bit, and that style of trap are tough to catch beavers with. I dont think I have ever caught an adult in one, but actually like you noticed, i dont think there is quite enough room in them for a large beaver. Like you are experiencing, my success was very sporatic. I had the best luck, if you want to say that, by setting it in blind fasion where they were coming in and out of water naturally on their own. Also caught a couple by putting it where beavers were pushing up mud by placing the trap in the way just out from their working. One thing i learned quick, is once those big traps pop off with or without a beaver inside, the others around wont come near it. Ive had them fire the dang thing with long sticks and miss the beaver but have the stick....game over. Those things are SUCH fun to set too. Just try to put it in their paths near shore so trigger/pan is only 3-4 inches under water and make sure to set it slightly off center.Finding where they are feeding or coming in and out of the water is very key i think. I like to try to get them to push or pull with their feet right on the pan/trigger. They crawl all over sticks all the time and shove past and push against them so its natural for them. One other thing is take the time to drizzle some sloppy silt from the bottom over as much of the trap as you can to camo it and hide the shiney frame and chain link.

Good luck, youre at a disadvantage, so have extra long patience and dont expect quick catches. Also, try to stay back from the area where they are at and dont scent up the place and disturb it. Keep it very low impact and low key once you get set. I know how expensive they are, but the more traps you can get in an area increases your chances a bunch.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2014, 23:53 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

You might look into Comstock cages as well. They are double door and have a conibear type trigger. So they can be used under water at dive unders and den entrances etc.
I don't have much experience using them on beaver though. I know a guy who has a lot. But haven't seen much of his work. Just that he uses Comstocks, he does live trap them for relocation though, so I know it works.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2014, 17:22 
Trapper
Trapper

I've looked into comstocks before, and want to get some at some point, and am also looking into making my own traps, esp. the beaver traps, and guillotine door muskrat traps that are tall and thin so I can put them in runs and in front of dens so they will stay alive when caught. also trying to make coon traps the same way. Want to make 3 or 4 sizes so they fit inside eachother. Know where some dens are they are using behind a dam. Put a trap in front of one hole and blocked up the other hole, so as long as they don't make it through the blocking, I should be getting them in a day or 2. Thanks