Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 21:44

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: question about a digger
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2014, 13:58 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

I have a question for you expert trappers about a digger. My brother has been trapping since season opened this year, except for the 2 weeks of deer season. He is using mostly dirtholes , targeting fox and coyote. He has caught one fox and has several more on his trail cameras. He has also caught several coons and grinners. On 3 occasions, at 3 different dirtholes, something dug his bait out of the hole and left it sitting beside the hole. It was not eaten , just left sitting. One of the sets had a trap there at the time, the other 2 did not have a trap at the time because he pulled them for deer season. The bait he is using is called " Predator plus Minnesota brand ". I have never used it so am unfamiliar with it. Any ideas what animal would dig up the bait and just leave it sitting ? He said he could see no tracks or other sign. Thanks for any input. .

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2014, 17:41 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

some baits don't taste good! it worked, they dug it out, but didn't like the taste.

life member pta distric #1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
i have trapped in nebraska,michigan,new york,alaska and pa.
us air force retired.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2014, 17:52 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Well i aint no expert but heres my theory. Most prepared baits i imagine arent very flavorful to eat. My guess would be fox, we always have a few do that stuff every year or so. But, any critter couldve on the ones with no trap, possums, Squirrels etc. even the set with a trap if the holes to vertical they'll do that. Hard to say. Could be any critter taken advantage of a free "meal". If he thinks its a furbearer a different set bearby may help? I wouldnt make a textbook dirthole just in case.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2014, 18:12 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

I was thinkin the same thing CC . I've smelled things before that smelled good but tasted like butt. :shock: :shock:

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2014, 18:15 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Back, he remade his sets today and used mostly step-down sets. be interesting to see what happens.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2014, 19:09 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Doc, I've seen red fox do that sort of thing. Reds like their meat well aged, which is how the dirt hole set got its start. Reds were observed catching prey, digging a hole and covering it up. Later, they would come back and dig it up and eat it after it was deemed "just right" for their taste buds....thus the dirt hole set was born. Funny thing is Charles D, said also once they would dig it up and eat it, they would then urinate and deficate on and around the hole. He said thats how folks got started using urine on the backing. He said that was actually a no no for him, because he thought it was a signal that said "this was my food cache, and i have claimed it to eat and now its gone". So he didnt like urine at dirt holes.

Sorry for rambling..... id bet it was a red fox being picky.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2014, 23:56 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Amak wrote:
Doc, I've seen red fox do that sort of thing. Reds like their meat well aged, which is how the dirt hole set got its start. Reds were observed catching prey, digging a hole and covering it up. Later, they would come back and dig it up and eat it after it was deemed "just right" for their taste buds....thus the dirt hole set was born. Funny thing is Charles D, said also once they would dig it up and eat it, they would then urinate and deficate on and around the hole. He said thats how folks got started using urine on the backing. He said that was actually a no no for him, because he thought it was a signal that said "this was my food cache, and i have claimed it to eat and now its gone". So he didnt like urine at dirt holes.

Sorry for rambling..... id bet it was a red fox being picky.

I never use urine at my dirt holes either. Imo it is not needed. :wink:

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 01:51 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

doc9013 wrote:
I was thinkin the same thing CC . I've smelled things before that smelled good but tasted like butt. :shock: :shock:

doc,
You are the first I've heard of that eats their canine bait. I imagine it might taste the way you said it did.
REM

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 06:53 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

At one time E.J. Dailey took the credit and claimed he invented the dirthole set. He had a whole section of his business dedicated to the dirthole set, specialized digger, metal mokded fox paw, urine, several baits and lures, stakes and chains. He was a salesman lol. Even had a special trap he pushed for it. I forget now which company(maybe Blake & Lamb?)made it but it had EJ as a spokesman. Double underspring., i believe it may have been called the "Daikey Special"?. Gramps had catalogs of his i read and reread as a kid and we both had a lot of his books and pamphlets.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 18:06 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

remrogers wrote:
doc9013 wrote:

doc,
You are the first I've heard of that eats their canine bait. I imagine it might taste the way you said it did.
REM

I wasn't talking about bait, Rem. :wink: :wink: :shock: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 18:12 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

doc9013 wrote:
remrogers wrote:
doc9013 wrote:

doc,
REM

That was funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 18:45 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Richard Murray wrote:
doc9013 wrote:
remrogers wrote:
doc9013 wrote:

doc,
REM

I recall Amak cooking up a fox that smelled delicious! Personally, I think I'd rather eat butt. :shock:

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 19:04 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

My brother fed me fox stew and it was good. Meat tends to be a bit stringy though.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 21:55 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Mohawk wrote:
Richard Murray wrote:
doc9013 wrote:
remrogers wrote:
doc9013 wrote:

doc,
REM

I recall Amak cooking up a fox that smelled delicious! Personally, I think I'd rather eat butt. :shock:

And if I remember right him and mohawk spit it back out just as quick as it went in. :shock: :lol:

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 22:02 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Richard Murray wrote:
Mohawk wrote:
Richard Murray wrote:
doc9013 wrote:
remrogers wrote:
doc9013 wrote:

doc,
REM

And if I remember right him and mohawk spit it back out just as quick as it went in. :shock: :lol:

doc as much as I want to im not gonna ask you how you know this :mrgreen:

pepe lepue 3
greys 8
reds
coys3
Johnny sneekum hopefully
beaver 9
bobcat 7
otter 2