Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 15:00

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: mouse proof DP's
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2014, 09:22 
Trapper
Trapper

How can I keep mice out of my dog proofs? Even with half a Dixie cup over top they still robbed me blind last night.

Muskrats 4 (first)
Mink 1 (first)
Beavers 2 (first)
Coyotes 1 (first)
Red fox 2
Otter 1 (first)
Skunk 1 (first)

Post subject: Re: mouse proof DP's
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2014, 10:05 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

You can try a golf ball, or a tin can over the top.....if they are absolutely determined, i dont know of a fool proof way, esp if its rats and not mice.

I almost always have to move the dp a decent distance away in the path of the coons where it doesnt look to be as good of rodent habitat. Definately a negative with dps.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2014, 12:21 
Trapper
Trapper

Every time I set the dp's on a hair trigger I start catchin mice. I just don't see how they pushed that Dixie cup off.

Muskrats 4 (first)
Mink 1 (first)
Beavers 2 (first)
Coyotes 1 (first)
Red fox 2
Otter 1 (first)
Skunk 1 (first)

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2014, 12:33 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Speaking of hair triggered dps. I found that many times coons can get rough with a dp before being caught. If on hair trigger, they stand a greater chance of firing prematurely. Not sure of your brand, but I run stock dukes, and I try to get as deep as i can with the dog and notch. Coons have no trouble at all fireing them and getting caught none the less. That doesnt solve your mouse issue I know, but thought id throw that out there.

Are the cups damaged in any way even if only slight? Could wind blow em off?

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2014, 23:55 
Trapper
Trapper

The cup is always right beside the trap and it looks just fine. I think I might be dealing with some swamp rats or some mighty strong mice.

Muskrats 4 (first)
Mink 1 (first)
Beavers 2 (first)
Coyotes 1 (first)
Red fox 2
Otter 1 (first)
Skunk 1 (first)

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2014, 02:12 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Just an observation.. Ive found mice are more attracted too sweet baits.. We dont have a lot of issues with mice though. On rare occasion we do catch barn rats in our homemade DPs. On even rarer occasion we set the triggers heavier if we find barn rats are stealing bait/tripping them/getting caught. I cant recall any vermin issues when we've used the gland type coon lures.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2014, 09:02 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I dont know how extensive they are pestering you on your line. If numerous traps are affected then it might be worth fighting the battle, provided there is good coon sign and movement. If only a trap or two is affected then moving them would be far easier. Coons travel quite a ways through the night giving us more then a few options for locations to set. If you feel that rat battle should be fought, The only other solution I have came up with in the past is setting up to actually take the rats out. I've used multiple rat traps with bait, and block type food poisons for rats, when I had to have a trap on a certain location. That has been mainly for ADC work, but the line isnt much different. If rat food poison is used, place it around the area but avoid the coons actual travel route. If the rats are that bad, they will clean up 3-4 blocks in a single night and your probs will slow way down. Rat traps are a bit less to worry about, but with a higher cost up front. In any case....I referred to it as a battle for a reason.....

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2014, 17:16 
Trapper
Trapper

It's every trap every morning. The coon sign is good but I'm pulling the dog proofs and sticking with conibears and footholds in that area. Dumb as it may sound I'm making a bunch of possum sets with leftover deer scraps and cheap duke traps so I can atleast catch something over there.

Muskrats 4 (first)
Mink 1 (first)
Beavers 2 (first)
Coyotes 1 (first)
Red fox 2
Otter 1 (first)
Skunk 1 (first)

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2014, 21:13 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I dont think it sounds dumb at all. I've done the same type thing more then a few times. Grinners are still fur, and they pay a portion of my gas for trapping every year. I dont blame you on pulling the dps there. Sounds too overwhelming to mess with. Body grippers and footholds will take good care of you though...you can count on that. Smart move IMO.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2014, 23:18 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I dont think it sounds dumb at all. I've done the same type thing more then a few times. Grinners are still fur, and they pay a portion of my gas for trapping every year. I dont blame you on pulling the dps there. Sounds too overwhelming to mess with. Body grippers and footholds will take good care of you though...you can count on that. Smart move IMO.

X2. Love my grinners and even stinkers! Nothing dumb or wrong with what your planning. Many would have whined and gave up.. Youve got grit and determination.. That'll take you far!

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2014, 23:37 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Backwoodsmansback wrote:

X2. Love my grinners and even stinkers! Nothing dumb or wrong with what your planning. Many would have whined and gave up.. Youve got grit and determination.. That'll take you far!

x3! War is war and extra money! Quiters always lose in the end. :wink:

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2014, 19:31 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Im dying to know....have your conis and footholds rang true yet?

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2014, 20:00 
Trapper
Trapper

Only had a few sets out but I got one big boar coon in a 220 and a possum in one of my coyote sets. Looks like one more warm night and then it's back to below freezing for the next 2 weeks.

Muskrats 4 (first)
Mink 1 (first)
Beavers 2 (first)
Coyotes 1 (first)
Red fox 2
Otter 1 (first)
Skunk 1 (first)