Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 09:49

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coon Fleshing Question
PostPosted: 09 Dec 2014, 18:15 
Trapper
Trapper

I was wondering if any of have run into coon pelts that are all scarred up. I have had a handful of pelts (mostly boars) that are have 3+ large scars on them. The problem I have been having is when I flesh these scarred up coon, is when I hit the scar with my knife, it blows a huge hole in the pelt (I am not hammering on the pelts either). The problem is, I usually don't discover them until I hit them with my knife. Any tips on locating these before its too late??? The skin seems so delicate around these areas that not damaging the pelt seems almost impossible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2014, 18:47 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I hate scars. Unfortunately with large boars many have them. One of those things we cannot help and never really know until fleshing them sometimes.There are a few things you can do to be semi ready for them. First its most common on bigger boars so use caution on them from the get go. Before starting the pelt, visually inspect it on its sides and back to see if you can spot any. Lay your arm out and run the pelt slowly across your arm so the hair lifts from the angle and sometimes that exposes a bad spot. Then hang it by the nose and with bare hands, run them slowly down the sides and back after brushing. If you feel tiny little lumps or bumps like a scab or dirt that is right down on the skin, inspect it well. Anything you find, get the location in mind and ease into that area when you get to it. There are 2 kinds of scars to deal with, new and old. New ones are the most problem and are the thinnest and often have a hole already in the leather. They have a bluish grey hue to them similar to tick bites but larger, so anytime you start coming into that color that is too big or dark for a tick bite, esp in an otherwise creamy white pelt, proceed with caution. That color is your warning. With old scars, they are almost like grisle in a way but still different. The color is a lighter white then the leather. Most of the time those scars are not on the gristly neck part but now and again they are. So if you come to that gristly white looking spot out of nowhere in a strange spot go easy. Often you can feel and hear the knife go over a hard spot. By going easy, i mean flesh to the sides of it on good leather and ease towards it until you find the edges. Then carefully go over the top very lightly but dont try to push or cut it off. Only the loose fat over it. Same with a new scar only much more tenderly. Find all the edges by working into it from good leather once you spot it, but Work the actual scar as minimally as possible and leave a little more on it then normal. As you work the pelt, make sure you dont get the nose of the beam on the scar or it will open it.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2014, 17:28 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks for the tip Amak, its much appreciated!!!!

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2014, 19:38 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Hows it going browning, any better luck on them bad spots?

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2014, 19:45 
Trapper
Trapper

Yes, for sure. Tricky finding them on really fat ones, but when I find them before I hit them with my knife I have been in good shape, thanks again for the tips. Just amazed on how many of my coons this season are scarred up. Didn't have any last year, this year I have had at six or seven that were fighters.