Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 03:21

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Flooded
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2014, 22:31 
Trapper
Trapper

Total frustration!
Set my water line in a creek about a week ago. Thur my daughter went to the hospital and Friday while there it rained all day. I haven't been able to get within 500 feet of my line due to flood waters. Will my catches be any good? Looks like water won't be low enough to see my traps till Thursday. So roughly seven days without being able get to my traps. I didn't know if the water would keep the critters good. I expect to have flat tails and maybe a otter or two. I read the post about hanging them in these temps but the water should be much colder.

grinner 1

Post subject: Re: Flooded
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2014, 22:39 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Hope your daughters better Grinner. Been there Grinner. It'll be touch and go. If you can locate all your traps then the catches. Flowing water helps preserve them i think? Ive seen coons slip after 2 days in the water but then ive seen'em good after a week. Chemicals can do a lot of damage too. Good luck

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2014, 08:21 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Hope your daughter is well.

Thats a tough situation. I fear the animals will not be good for more then one reason. i hope im wrong and are ok. My track record with flooding creeks has not been good and ends up more of a salvage mission. During flood the drainages change so much, and silt can cover traps by 2 ft sometimes. You have your work cut out.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2014, 08:37 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks guys,

I think I was afraid to face that I may have wasted a life. Water is still out this morning and I am leaving for training in Ohio. Be back thur and I hope water will be down by then. One good thing about this creek was it has mostly a clay bottom. I flagged all my traps as fear of theft is minimal. I staked them all pretty good high on the submerged bank. Really gonna suck if I do have a otter in there it will be my first.

grinner 1

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2014, 10:52 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Good luck grinner. Hope your Daughter is fine. 7 days in cold water on beaver and otter should not be a problem to much. Your chances of salvaging those should be far greater then coon I would imagine.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2014, 12:32 

Same as everyone else, I hope that all is good with your daughter. If you staked everything well and flagged it all, I'll go out on a limb and say you should get most of your stuff back. Floodwater can be tough on a line. Hang in there.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2014, 21:56 
Trapper
Trapper

Well I'm sitting Columbus Ohio wishing I was home. Thanks for your input guys and for the support for my lil one. I honestly thought thur.... Well better left unsaid. Yesterday she flipped the switch and is hooting and hollering and acting like nothing was wrong. That kid is my rock, when I think I'm having a bad day she makes it all better. My baby girl that wasn't supposed to live five minutes turned six years old n October.

grinner 1

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2014, 08:55 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

She is a miracle! Glad she is better.

You cant blame yourself if indeed the worst happens and animals are not useable. For one, it was well beyond your control. If you could have changed it you would have and that shows your good intent. Another thing is, though the animals may seem to be wasted....thats only as far as humans are concerned. Other animals will live that could have died because of the winter reducing the pops based on a limited carrying capacity. Also, many other animals and organisims Would prosper and gain life from those animals, making that life taken far from useless in many ways to nature. We will always feel bad with that sort of thing, but we should not let something that happens well out of our control cripple us mentally.

My main worry isnt necessarily just rot. My concern also involes loads of drifting hazards like logs and all kinds of stuff that normally wouldnt come down the river. When a flood is on in my part of the country, that serene river turns into a merciless meat grinder and an endless battering ram. A caught dead animal can easily get beat to a pulp. Traps can take the abuse as well. I hope not, and wish you the best, but here where I live there would not be much hope. Good luck GG.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2014, 20:08 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Hows your baby girl Grinner? Did you make it back home and if so how was your line?

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2014, 07:05 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

So glad to learn your baby girl is on the mend Grinner. As for the traps going under the high water, been there and done that. Don't expect to find much to salvage other than your equipment. Maybe where you are the water is cooler than it gets down here down here, if so I couldn't guess the outcome.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2014, 18:26 
Trapper
Trapper

Well I made it home in one piece and after seeing the kiddos headed for the creek. Traps were empty and still well under water. I dug all the debris out and reset snapped ones. Next check I was rewarded with a nice rat. I'm going to give this creek a once over and then pull. Not productive so I'm just burning gas.

grinner 1

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2014, 18:40 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Well, the good thing is that you still got all your traps and no critters went to waste and then got rewarded with a rat! :wink:

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2014, 22:40 
Trapper
Trapper

Baby Girl is going back to school tomorrow, Happy times as she loves school. Teachers, aides and bus drivers all say she brightens their days when they see her smile. Ill post a happy pic of her if I can remember my photo bucket info. The Rat reward was def a nice one, put me on the board for the year. My seven year old boy has decided it needs tanned so he can have it in his room. He has a beaver pelt tanned by his grandpa for him and he has deiced he needs one from every animal. He told me tonight we are going to Alaska next year. I asked if he was paying for it and he told me I needed to. Hope one day to oblige him!

I am getting frustrated with this creek situation. Even though the water has gone down its still four to five foot deep on average with some holes appearing green so unknown there depth. I have tried bottom edge, Hole sets, all the tricks I have learned on here but have yet to connect with Beaver or Otter. I think the bank beavers have moved north o the property line. There are holes all along the bank with breathing holes about five foot back from the edge. It looks like they are making there winter food stuffs in these "dens". I cant find the toilet for the otter but know they have been seen in there in the past. Do Otter move on like Beaver or do they have a home range? I miss my shallow water creeks at times. I am afraid if I do connect with the Beaver It will be the little ones that get shoved out.

grinner 1

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2014, 23:01 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Sorry for my rudeness, forgot to say congrats for your baby girl getting better. Very cool! 8)

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 07:46 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Praise the Lord your Baby Girl is back home and ready for school.

Sounds like your creek trapping is becoming your nemesis. You will soon adapt and learn how to take full advantage of it through trial and error. :wink:

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 07:58 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Glad your baby girl is better Grinner. Deep creeks can be a pain no matter what your chasing. Raining here, if you guys are gettin it then the creeks may go back up. Im not an otter trapper but from listening and reading on here and countless books they seem to have a large travel range tgst can encompass many miles and take several weeks to complete. I know in the past they were incidental catches in our pocket sets. Any narrow foots on the creek? Bkibd/barricade sets with 330's may be a good set in your arsenal? Even if its not narrow enough sonetines you can block the side of swifter water and put a 330 or even 2 in side by side in the " trough" of current and catch beaver abd a few rats. Are you targeting rats? Some bigger creeks can have nuce numbers. I trapped some up your way that ran into the illinois long ago and the rat and beaver numbers were high.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 20:26 
Trapper
Trapper

Swamp Rat wrote:

Sounds like your creek trapping is becoming your nemesis. You will soon adapt and learn how to take full advantage of it through trial and error. :wink:

Well Swamp I definitely have the error part down pat :oops:

I am trying the channel sets to, Back, I think honestly they have moved farther up the creek. I intend to change my sets one more time. More because I am stubborn then I think they will be productive, I just don't like giving up or admitting defeat. I know the property owner wants some of the older smaller dams gone. They are no longer being maintained. Im thinking tanner rite :lol: anybody had any experience with blowing dams?

grinner 1

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 22:04 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

grinner getter wrote:
Swamp Rat wrote:

Well Swamp I definitely have the error part down pat :oops:

I am trying the channel sets to, Back, I think honestly they have moved farther up the creek. I intend to change my sets one more time. More because I am stubborn then I think they will be productive, I just don't like giving up or admitting defeat. I know the property owner wants some of the older smaller dams gone. They are no longer being maintained. Im thinking tanner rite :lol: anybody had any experience with blowing dams?

I don't like giving up or admitting defeat either. No experience blowing dams, but I seen it happen on Duck Dynasty though. It was very cool! :shock: 8)

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2014, 00:46 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Tannerite will do it. Sometimes the DNR will blowem for free too? Its good you arent giving up but it sounds like they moved on if the dans arent being maintained. Any other owners uour team or downstream let you in on them? When you just have a section of a creek its hard to stay on the fur. Been there too many times. No fresh cuttings above the new water line? I lost an otter this morning, pulled out but he was usin all 4 fine by the tracks. Asian carp head, few leftover frozen dead minnows from the summer and a shot of menhadden oil. Was actually a coon pocket set on a ditch i can step over. No.1 coil wasnt up to that task lol. Waters only 2" deep in most spots. Never dreamed an otter would come up thru there.