Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 07:44

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2014, 18:38 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Been having good luck this year on blind sets and pocket sets baited with makeral and salmon oil. Caught three in one night, a new record for me lol. I love to use drowner cables when possible.

8 Raccoons

"Every creature that is alive is yours to eat; I give them all to you as I did the green plants."
Genesis 9:3

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2014, 21:33 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Good lookin hides Gitter! Congrats.

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2014, 00:34 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nice lookin furs. Congrats.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2014, 01:09 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nice put up :) !!! What's the sizes there on those 3, 2XL??

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2014, 08:08 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Wow! Excellent work on the line and in the fur put up! Im impressed! I like them drowners too!

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2014, 08:19 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Thanks everybody! I'm getting the hang of catching raccoons in the water. I've learned a lot of things and correct me if I'm wrong.....Blind sets are the best, and simplest way to catch a raccoon. Just find pinch points and set a trap in the water. If you cant find a narrowed down pinch point a baited pocket set is the next best thing. I like to use fish, and it has to be fresh in case a mink comes around. For lure I like to use fish oil, salmon oil is what I have been using. I like to use drowner cables when possible because I had a raccoon pull out of a trap. My favorite trap for raccoon is the duke 1.5 CS. I only have time to trap on the weekends so I tend to target animals that can be caught in one night assuming you are on location.

8 Raccoons

"Every creature that is alive is yours to eat; I give them all to you as I did the green plants."
Genesis 9:3

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2014, 10:57 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I always enjoying looking at coons floating in drowner sets. Your doing good and your put up is super. One nice thing about coon in drowner sets is that the fur is clean. Keep at it and enjoy the pics.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2014, 21:56 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

CoonGitter wrote:
Thanks everybody! I'm getting the hang of catching raccoons in the water. I've learned a lot of things and correct me if I'm wrong.....Blind sets are the best, and simplest way to catch a raccoon. Just find pinch points and set a trap in the water. If you cant find a narrowed down pinch point a baited pocket set is the next best thing. I like to use fish, and it has to be fresh in case a mink comes around. For lure I like to use fish oil, salmon oil is what I have been using. I like to use drowner cables when possible because I had a raccoon pull out of a trap. My favorite trap for raccoon is the duke 1.5 CS. I only have time to trap on the weekends so I tend to target animals that can be caught in one night assuming you are on location.

Now you got it! For anyone willing to wade into the world of blind sets for coons, esp in water, there is a huge reward awaiting.

Unless the area is wide with no way to do it, you don't have to have a natural pinch point to plop a trap down. Dragging a few limbs down the bank to the waters edge and presto, instant blind set. Ive used all kinds of stuff to create my own blind set spot. The more sloped the bank the easier it is, as wide and flat is too much work. I have also in the past made up 3 foot long chicken wire fences stapling it to 2 slats, one on each end, sharpened and used as a stake. You can just unroll it, stab it where you need it for instant blind set action. I do like to keep it about 18 inches from the trap, and use upright sticks in fence style for that last bit, so the coon only tears them up instead of the wire fence. Nice thing is, it just looks like some trash on the river to prying eyes. Even better if you leave them out to weather ahead of time. I guess what I am saying, is you can probably cut out another 1/3 the pocket sets (probably more) by creating your own pinch points. I know it's slightly more work and time then a natural blind set spot, but it's still way faster and easier then the original digging and trying to maintain a pocket that keeps exploding every catch. That's how I catch the vast majority of my coons, as most folks that know me, know. Blind sets for coon are the bread and butter for me.