Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 12:39

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Do you think the moon position and phases affect animals?
Poll ended at 20 Dec 2014, 21:37
Yes 90%  90%  [ 18 ]
No 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 20
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2014, 21:37 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

A very good friend and I shortly discussed the affects that the moon has or has not on critters. I have trapped, hunted, and fished for 25 years watching closely the conditions as well as moon phases and positions and have found that though other influences come into play, I can say I have seen the moon definately has influences. For instance, I spend less time fishing these days and I catch more fish then i used to when I had little regard for the moon. I see time after time without fail, the bite come in, last its time span and go out....all because i fished peek lunar times. If id showed up at the end of my trip, i would have swore fish were not biting. Yet an hour ago we filled the basket. To this i will add, check quality guided fishing trips on the ocean, and the most expensive trips are based on the moons position and phase along with season. Poor phases of the exact same trip are half the price....

Relating to trapping, I personally see a big difference in critter movement depending on moon cycles. What I would like to do is see how many have paid attention enough to say, if you feel the moon does or does not affect the animals by voting yes or no, then list in a post in detail of experiances as to why you believe that or made that connection for your belief in the matter. Please dont list "its just what i think"...i want reasons as to why through experiance. There are no right or wrong answers here and opposition is welcomed so please dont try to refute another persons post if its different then yours.. I hope to get a good feel for what the majority has found to help form thinking.

Thanks

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2014, 21:42 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

As per the question, "Do you think moon phase and position affects animals," I voted yes. My lack of experience, however, hasn't granted me the wisdom to say what that effect might be. :roll:

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2014, 22:31 

My only reasoning is: paying attention to this issue when I first started, reading what the members posted as to their opinions, and trying to interpret what has been going on, on my line. I gave up trying to keep a journal with stats. I'm just too forgetful. I have noticed that canines do not seem to move on full moons, as a general rule, but I have had an exception or two. I have only started catching coyotes the last two seasons. I have no way of knowing but it seems logical that some animals will have to move on a full moon as a result of forced dispersal or the need to hunt or breed. I tend to think that cats will hunt a full moon, simply because they primarily hunt by sight. I don't have much experience with them either. I completely agree with the fish concept, and have adapted the same methods of only fishing the three days before and after a full moon, and also on a new moon. I fished the "super moon" a few years ago and had some of the best crappie fishing ever. It was insane. Don't mistake any of what you just read for anything other than aimless rambling.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2014, 06:16 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yes i believe it does. We groan everytime we have a full moon and we 're running setlines for catfish. Now the days before and after(waxing and waning?)seem to be better then the 36-48hrs of peak full moon. We still hunt and fish during a full moon. Deer activity(during daylight)always seems to be less during a full moon but we've always contributed that to the better visibility at night for them? We do see a marked increase of deer on our trail cams during nights with a full moon. Furbearer movement increases for us during a full moon cycle. I know our inmate population was a good indicator of a full moon as well. Working in a mental health facility you monitored a full moon as well. We had a noticable increase in admittance's and incidents..

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2014, 06:56 

I believe it does. Not only the hunting seems to be tough, but trapping as well.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2014, 09:48 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

For myself I would say the moon has some degree of effect on how animals behave. But I do believe that barometric pressure plays a far greater role in the behavior pattern of animals and fishing. So for the pole I can't vote yes or no

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2014, 10:44 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

wolf1199 wrote:
For myself I would say the moon has some degree of effect on how animals behave. But I do believe that barometric pressure plays a far greater role in the behavior pattern of animals and fishing. So for the pole I can't vote yes or no

x2 :wink:

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2014, 13:39 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Richard Murray wrote:
wolf1199 wrote:

wolf1199 wrote:

Sure you guys can vote.....I didnt say a yes vote meant the moon had total control of animals. As stated above, there is no doubt other influences icome into play. This poll isnt about the degree of which factors of nature most influences critters (ie.....barometric greater then moon influences), but rather if you believe the moon has enough affect on animals to be a contributing factor to be considered. Obviously various phases, amount it plays a role, which patterns are best, position ect all are details that can be heavily debated on what is "best", as is the amount of influence the moon has. One person may believe moon to have total control while another thinks it is an influence but has a moderate affect. In either case they both think the moon affects critters albiet to different degrees. But both would still prompt a yes vote. A no vote would mean the moon has no bearing on animals to the degree it should not be a consideration of the list of animal influences.

So in the statement made, "For myself I would say the moon has some degree of affect on how animals behave". That in its self would prompt a yes vote, unless you feel the moon has such little effect it should not be considered, then it would prompt a no vote.

Pretty Please choose your vote fellas.... :wink:

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2014, 14:07 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I've been trapping a couple years and really don't know why the moon phase plays a role in catches. But it sure does. My coyote catch falls during a full moon for some reason and I can't explain why. Coyotes are still moving during full moon and you can bet they are still eating and hunting.

Somebody enlighten me on why??????????????????????????????????

Different subject, WHY does most peoples coyote catch in traps drop off in December???????????

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2014, 15:42 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

moon phase definitely affects animals. I believe a lot of animals move more before and after a full moon, more at night but also around noon , especially deer. A great time to fish is just when the full moon is coming up over the mountains. Like wolf said though, barometric pressure also has a great influence, which is why animals move just before or just after a storm moves through. Hunger and lust play important roles too, so I would never base a hunt just on the moon, but it does play a role.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2014, 21:51 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

I know that the full moon sucks! I started paying attention to it several years ago and have noted in my mind that animals may move, but they don't do it at times when I'm able to get at them; say high noon or midnight. New moon reactions are similar. I work those days and see deer and yotes out in broad daylight in the middle of the day. Very seldom do I have the time to hunt all day long, and when I do it probably aint when the moon is right. You see a difference in people too, although some are loony full time, it seems crazy really takes over come full moon phase. Maybe that's where the word loony comes from in the first place? (Lunar) :shock:

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2014, 23:25 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Mohawk wrote:
You see a difference in people too, although some are loony full time, it seems crazy really takes over come full moon phase. Maybe that's where the word loony comes from in the first place? (Lunar) :shock:

Maybe that's why somebody just stoled all my trapping gear! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2014, 23:39 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Sac Creek wrote:
I've been trapping a couple years and really don't know why the moon phase plays a role in catches. But it sure does. My coyote catch falls during a full moon for some reason and I can't explain why. Coyotes are still moving during full moon and you can bet they are still eating and hunting.

Different subject, WHY does most peoples coyote catch in traps drop off in December???????????

I know when coon hunting during full moon my number of coons treed does not drop off and never has, but I know some hate coon hunting during the full moon.

I have heard that many times by great Wolfers about December yote catches drop off and nobody has an answer. I only know of one wolfer that don't have a problem with it, but he is on great dispersal routes. My belief is that it may have something to do with the dispersal. Pups being kicked out on their own and finding new territories and old territories being restablished by the alpha's. Every thing is a scramble at this time. Being on the dispersal routes may be the ticket. Just a thought. This needs a thread of its own, I like it. :wink:

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2014, 23:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Amak wrote:
Richard Murray wrote:
wolf1199 wrote:

wolf1199 wrote:

Sure you guys can vote.....I didnt say a yes vote meant the moon had total control of animals. As stated above, there is no doubt other influences icome into play. This poll isnt about the degree of which factors of nature most influences critters (ie.....barometric greater then moon influences), but rather if you believe the moon has enough affect on animals to be a contributing factor to be considered. Obviously various phases, amount it plays a role, which patterns are best, position ect all are details that can be heavily debated on what is "best", as is the amount of influence the moon has. One person may believe moon to have total control while another thinks it is an influence but has a moderate affect. In either case they both think the moon affects critters albiet to different degrees. But both would still prompt a yes vote. A no vote would mean the moon has no bearing on animals to the degree it should not be a consideration of the list of animal influences.

So in the statement made, "For myself I would say the moon has some degree of affect on how animals behave". That in its self would prompt a yes vote, unless you feel the moon has such little effect it should not be considered, then it would prompt a no vote.

Pretty Please choose your vote fellas.... :wink:

In that case and for you brother my vote will be yes.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2014, 23:57 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Amak, I voted yes. I think weather , moon phases and a lot of other variables help or hurt a trappers catch ratio, but I try to log the important things in my log book each year I trap.

Don't know if it's legible, but here is my starting log for this year.

Kelley

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2014, 09:18 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I have to say im well pleased with the post of explainations and experiances. Pro or con on the subject, its very important to get the well rounded thought processes of a bunch of great outdoorsmen and trappers. I had hoped there might be a few more who do not think the moon affected animals enough to give it consideration. I need both sides for a true accessment. Not that im out to try and get someone to change from thier findings, but if opposed to the idea please post so and why......and by all means vote no. Feel very free.

Thanks so much to all that have shared and voted so far. it is really good hearing and seeing all the various angles. Keep em coming guys!

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2014, 01:13 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Ok I voted no, just to be the odd man out. But one thing I have noticed with all your comments it's mostly deer and yotes your talking about. Far from the majority of animals in the over all picture. I agree there is a time and place for everything but the moon or its phase in my opinion has less effect then barometric pressure. Now if your all into Vodoo and the moon that's a different story :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2014, 03:23 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

wolf1199 wrote:
Ok I voted no, just to be the odd man out. But one thing I have noticed with all your comments it's mostly deer and yotes your talking about. Far from the majority of animals in the over all picture. I agree there is a time and place for everything but the moon or its phase in my opinion has less effect then barometric pressure. Now if your all into Vodoo and the moon that's a different story :mrgreen:

Your not totally the odd man out. Yes, I do believe the moon does play a small roll in animal behavior, but I do believe that the barometric plays a far greater roll by far. So I felt my vote is to be yes because of the small roll it does play. The roll that the moon plays I feel it controls the time the animal moves in a 24 hour period, but not all animals.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2014, 22:48 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

I can't speak for all animals, but I've paid attention to moon phases mostly for deer huntin. What I notice is that bucks tend to follow moon phases more than does. May be nothing more than a coinkydink, but bucks tend to move more mid-day in full and new moon phases where the does tend to stick to a more dawn/dusk pattern. Maybe this is due to rutting activity, but my theory expands on that point. I'm thinkin that does stick to dawn/dusk movement while the bucks move according to the moon in order to pick up on a hot doe trail after she moved through. Then he follows the estrous trail to the doe. Incidentally, I see yotes and fox out in the middle of the day during full/new moon periods. Maybe there is a front that pushes them into moving at that time that makes it a happenstance, but it seems to be too common of an occurrence just to blow off the moon driven activity theory. OR perhaps I'm just nuts and its all in my head. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Richard Murray wrote:
Mohawk wrote:
You see a difference in people too, although some are loony full time, it seems crazy really takes over come full moon phase. Maybe that's where the word loony comes from in the first place? (Lunar) :shock:

Maybe that's why somebody just stoled all my trapping gear! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

This wouldn't surprise me a bit! I'm very sorry to hear this happened bro and if you need anything, let me know!

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2014, 07:16 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Sac Creek wrote:

To answer your last question Sac Creek, it is a simple one, the catch drops off in December because most trappers pull their traps to take care of Honey Do's and eat too much Christmas food! :lol:

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2014, 18:04 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Swamp Rat wrote:
Sac Creek wrote:

To answer your last question Sac Creek, it is a simple one, the catch drops off in December because most trappers pull their traps to take care of Honey Do's and eat too much Christmas food! :lol:

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2014, 18:08 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

I have noticed over the years that my catches of most critters falls off in December. I think it is a combination of things. First, trapping season has been in for a while, so there are fewer to catch, and the ones left may have been educated. But mostly I believe it is because the countryside is littered with gutpiles and deer carcasses.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2014, 22:29 

doc9013 wrote:
I have noticed over the years that my catches of most critters falls off in December. I think it is a combination of things. First, trapping season has been in for a while, so there are fewer to catch, and the ones left may have been educated. But mostly I believe it is because the countryside is littered with gutpiles and deer carcasses.

That's a good point, I'm not sure how much of an impact it makes up here with the wolf packs running around. They are eating machines. I can also tell you that a few years ago, I would hear 30 to 40 shots on opener, this year I heard half a dozen. The last Saturday of season (usually busy), I heard one shot. There just are not many deer around due to the previous two very brutal winters. But my December catch definitely nose dived. I'm still seeing sign, much more sign of fox and cats than last year, and, as always, lots of wolf tracks. I pulled off two farms 50 miles South of me, great sets still functioning when I pulled, sign was there, caught almost nothing. I set that up about the beginning of December. I have had a cat, or cats, walk by my set up in one location the last couple nights without so much as breaking their stride. It's really frustrating when you can see the detail in the track and the length of the stride and know you missed a nice cat.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2014, 15:44 
Trapper
Trapper

Amak, haven't had time to get on much for a while, but had to chime in with my two cents on this one! First of all if anybody works in the health care field they know that the crazies really come out big time on the full moon! If this is true then why would it not affect other animals? I have thought it best for trapping when it's not a full or close to full moon. I always thought that the canines felt safer in the darker conditions. As far as fishing for trout anyway, the new moon is the very best. It's the best time to catch big Browns on wet flys or top water lures. I don't know for sure if it's the moon, but you won't catch many during the full moon.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2014, 01:15 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

doc9013 wrote:

You know Jeff asked a good question and doc you added to it just about bang on. Same thing happens up here with out fail year after year. November and first part of December is a super animal catch month especially marten. When the temps get colder and the snow deeper things slow down. By mid December things are at a crawl. After the New Year things pick up a bit. If your trapping the same ground there are only so many animals to be had, once caught it will take time for others to filter in.