Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 09:44

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2014, 09:41 
Trapper
Trapper

Being new to trapping this year, I think I might be making a mistake. I think I am leaving my scent. Could some of you please tell me what you do to keep from leaving your scent, please.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2014, 10:36 
Trapper
Trapper

1Butch wrote:
Being new to trapping this year, I think I might be making a mistake. I think I am leaving my scent. Could some of you please tell me what you do to keep from leaving your scent, please.
IMO animals around rural farm and ranch areas, are very familiar with human scent and do not shy away from it unless concentrated in one spot associated with something else like a baited dirt hole; pee post or whatever.
In my experience if you are basically clean you leave very little scent with your hands. If you are worried about it just rub some local vegetation on your hands before setting. Actually you leave much more scent from your body; essentially have confidence, keep it simple and just get in, set and get out as quickly as possible. Your body sheds off much more scent than you leave with bare hands and will generally dissipate in a day or so..

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2014, 12:59 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Ditto bctomcat

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2014, 15:01 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

X3

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2014, 18:56 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Bctomcat is spot on. :wink:

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2014, 20:01 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

1Butch, I should have probably asked this in my 1st post. What exactly is going on with you and your sets that makes you think you have a human scent problem? Dont be bashful, spill your guts and lets have it all.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2014, 20:03 

Yup.....free yourself from your olfactory demons!! I just started realizing the truth of what bctomcat said this last year or so. I have been slaving away at keeping everything super clean and using no-scent soap, slipping in and out of "scent free" boots, etc. I wasted so much time farting around with that stuff... :evil: :oops: But every novice seems to get the impression that scent control is the end all be all of trapping. Your main worry regarding scent is to make sure that you do not contaminate your traps. For instance, you make a set and bait it with your bare hands getting bait on your hands, then you go to make your next set and you handle the next trap with contaminated hands, thus contaminating your trap. That can result in your trap possibly being dug up.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2014, 23:01 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

TrapperAL wrote:
Your main worry regarding scent is to make sure that you do not contaminate your traps. For instance, you make a set and bait it with your bare hands getting bait on your hands, then you go to make your next set and you handle the next trap with contaminated hands, thus contaminating your trap. That can result in your trap possibly being dug up.

I don't even worry about that anymore. I am always luring and baiting with bare hands. Still making catches. My hands stink pretty bad by the time I get home. I think its more to being to lazy to take the time to put the bait gloves on. :oops: But that also taught me something in the process, still catching yotes. To me, it's all about bedding and blending. I believe the baits and lures at the set over ride the light smells on a trap. Learning from Craig O'gorman is a big part of my beliefs. Have found his teachings about song dogs to be so true. jmo

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2014, 05:51 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Richard Murray wrote:
TrapperAL wrote:
Your main worry regarding scent is to make sure that you do not contaminate your traps. For instance, you make a set and bait it with your bare hands getting bait on your hands, then you go to make your next set and you handle the next trap with contaminated hands, thus contaminating your trap. That can result in your trap possibly being dug up.

I don't even worry about that anymore. I am always luring and baiting with bare hands. Still making catches. My hands stink pretty bad by the time I get home. I think its more to being to lazy to take the time to put the bait gloves on. :oops: But that also taught me something in the process, still catching yotes. To me, it's all about bedding and blending. I believe the baits and lures at the set over ride the light smells on a trap. Learning from Craig O'gorman is a big part of my beliefs. Have found his teachings about song dogs to be so true. jmo

I've been dug up by coyotes with lure on my traps before......but red fox are much much worse about it and I think for me coons take a close second place for discovering my traps that have some funk on them. Reds seem to not only know the slightest smells of lures, but think they must investigate to the extent......they can drive you nuts almost like a wise coon will. Anyway that is lure scent not human scent so it can be helped if its a problem.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2014, 09:47 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Amak wrote:
Richard Murray wrote:
TrapperAL wrote:

I've been dug up by coyotes with lure on my traps before......but red fox are much much worse about it and I think for me coons take a close second place for discovering my traps that have some funk on them. Reds seem to not only know the slightest smells of lures, but think they must investigate to the extent......they can drive you nuts almost like a wise coon will. Anyway that is lure scent not human scent so it can be helped if its a problem.

As usual my words don't come out the way they are in my head. :oops: Probably could have been worded different, but that's ok. I will not worrie about it no more. I will just go trappin and keep to myself and be happy. Sorry guys.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2014, 10:21 

Nothing that needs apologizing in my mind here Richard. What you're doing works. I am still finding out about how different trappers approach things, so there are lots things to learn. I mainly trap fox and have found that they do dig up my traps if there are any issues with bedding or scent.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2014, 12:47 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I agree with TrapperAL on the fox. I/we have much more problems with fox being "diggers" then yotes anymore. Its almost like the yotes have "evolved" and are use to human scent and not near as wary. Maybe gutpiles from deerhunting etc have something to do with it? Fox are a much more wary and timid species i think? My scent control use to be almost an obsession and im still "old school" with some things but not near as bad as i was. With the populations we have now even if you scare a critter or two off is it really that bad? When i "cut my teeth" populations were low and fur was high for K9's. Every critter counted. But with the "fox boots", gloves, not breathing on a set, etc did that take some of the fun and enjoyment away? If foxes were $100 again and populations low i may go back to the former procedures but honestly its really not worth all the headaches and stress. Do what your comfortable with. Ive caught canines in rusty traps and barehanded. Confidence has a lot to do with it, go as far as you wish for confidence and peace of mind. As was said solid bedding and location are more important.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2014, 19:28 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Richard Murray wrote:
Amak wrote:
Richard Murray wrote:
TrapperAL wrote:

As usual my words don't come out the way they are in my head. :oops: Probably could have been worded different, but that's ok. I will not worrie about it no more. I will just go trappin and keep to myself and be happy. Sorry guys.

Im confused bro. You said nothing ill worded or nothing wrong at all. I understand exactly what you were getting at. My experiences with coyotes are very much the same as yours with the exception that ive got busted by yotes with dirty traps before but its only very rarely. I meant to say that fox and coons find many more of my traps then coyotes do as far as dirty traps goes. Like you, I dont stress over it much. What you're doing on your coyotes works....thats all there is to it. You can and should be proud of your methods and catches bro, I know I am proud of you and love your postings on what you do because everyone has their own things they figure out that works well for them and it opens the minds doors of many other trappers. Dont change a thing....nothing wrong with your postings anywhere that I've seen and think your wording is just fine like it is.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2014, 21:28 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Has anybody ever thought about the loose fresh dirt at the trap bed being the reason for traps being dug up? I believe this is the problems with the coons digging up traps, not a little funk that the traps has on them. How many of us has caught a critter and reset the trap, just to catch another? What I am getting at is this, (will use a yote as an example), think about what that trap goes through during that night with a yote in it. That yote urinates, craps every where, if the hole is shallow the bait may even get pulled out, lures are at the set, yote gets saliva on the trap from biting it, hair is on the trap, it goes on and on with what that trap gets on it. Then when we dispatch blood gets on it. At that point we have only touched the trap with gloves on. Well that goes for most trappers. How contaminated is the trap at this point? To the MAX. Not to mention the wax on the trap that holds odors greatly. So I bait and lure bare handed. I open the lure bottle and use a stick to lure and bait with a long knife, its not like I used my fingers. What smell I have on my hands is from the outsided of the bottles, but when I make my set i have gloves on, so that little smell on my hands is covered. That is small potatoes compared to what that trap already has on it. Now just think if it was a rear foot catch and the yote goes to do its business. Them same traps are reset and still ends up catching another yote or coon. Then at the same time I have set clean trap and do every thing text book scent wise, just to have a screen cover pulled off or a trap dug up. This makes no sense to me and made me think a little. There has to be a reason and I believe its the fresh loose dirt over the trap. Even flat sets has freshly dug dirt, even with good blending. Not the extent that a dirt hole has, but still fresh. Fresh dug holes have a certain dirt smell more so than untouched dirt. I may be right or may not be. Makes sense though to me. I have had way less, almost nill, this year than last year on traps being uncovered. I think the reason for this is because I am using a much bigger dirt pattern now than compared to last year. That puts the yote and coon in the pattern befor they even realize it. Its paying off for me. :wink:
P.S. Jase my brother, I believe I took it wrong. My bad. I was already in a bad mood at the time I read your post. I spent a couple days setting up a property only to pull every thing back up. They put cattle on it and the cows were tripping my trails sets up every where. So I pulled out of there. That's where the bad mood came from. A lot of work for nothing. Wasted baits and lures with it. Those trails were hot with yote sign. I was going to put a smack down on them. I'm in a better mood now. Did some more scouting today on another property and it is even better. On one single trail for a quarter of a mile I pick up a gallon zip loc bag full of scat. A territorial line that is pounded. The rest of the trails were hot as well. Will start setting it tomorrow. So in a few days I should be back in the groove and even better the the start of the season. Sorry for taking it wrong, love you brother!

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2014, 21:43 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

That sucks about the cows and property Rich. I think anyone would have been in a bit of a mood. No harm no foul bro we all can have them days at times. One very good thing is that you found such a good place to continue on with. Hehehe! They dont even know whats coming! :lol: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2014, 11:54 

Richard that same thing happened to me. I got on the yotes in a cow pasture. The stream cutting through the pasture was hot wired off from the cows and I had canines working my sets. Then the farmer dropped the fence so the cows could get at the water more easily and everyone of my sets was tripped off by cows everyday :evil: I finally pulled because I was sick of remaking sets every morning.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2014, 19:15 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

TrapperAL wrote:
Richard that same thing happened to me. I got on the yotes in a cow pasture. The stream cutting through the pasture was hot wired off from the cows and I had canines working my sets. Then the farmer dropped the fence so the cows could get at the water more easily and everyone of my sets was tripped off by cows everyday :evil: I finally pulled because I was sick of remaking sets every morning.

I learned that lesson the hard way last year. They will make your life miserable. I am a heave setter in the cattle trails and when I pulled up to the pasture the next day and seen them cows, I automatically new what I was going to find. They did not let me down. :evil: All that work and money on baits, lures, anti freeze and ext. all wasted. :twisted: