Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 14:06

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oddest trapline "catch"
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 01:28 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

On the line this morning i had a "catch" that got me to thinking about odd things we "catch". Following the rules of course, non breathing biological(grass, sticks etc) is ok? whats everyone's oddest or weirdest catch that stands out? I got all pumped up, some barricade sets in a ditch thats got nice rat sign and we're catching a few almost everyday. Seen a 210 was tripped from about 50'(what i call a 210 is a single spring 220). Got up there to find id caught a half full 20oz pepsi bottle lol. The ditch runs under a major highway and theres all sorts of trash in it, on it and around it. I pick up what i can. Ive caught corn cob before too in various sets, hedge apples, cord worth of sticks and woo, etc. uncle caught a duck decoy once in a flooded beaver swamp.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 08:54 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Oddest catch, well there are a few. First was a weasel and flying squirrel in the same 120. The other was a jack fish in one of my 220 otter sets and the oddest of all was a mallard duck caught in a dive stick set up for otter after freeze up. And with out saying there was my 2 thumbs once.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 12:35 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

A big buck mink caught under the ice in a 330 set at a beaver lodge entrance. Caught him right in the middle of the belly. Figure he swam through the trap and pushed off on the trigger with his foot as he was passing through.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 15:12 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Isnt it amazing what can happen on a trapline. Ive caught several snapping turtles in rat n beaver run sets and even in a little no.0 SLS under water pole set. He was able to get air so was fine, released him, we like dressing bigger ones. Ive heard but never had it happen two critters in a single catch trap. In another state we used colony rat traps and had to cut a door off one too empty it one time but thats not too odd i guess.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 15:52 
Trapper
Trapper

A snowshoe hare in a marten/fisher box set 6 ft above the ground on a leaning tree.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 19:06 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

BC how in the heck did it get up there? Do hares climb? Our cottontails dont although i learned groundhogs can.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 19:09 
Trapper
Trapper

A black bear in a coyote set and a northern pike in 110 conibears set for muskrat/mink. That is the oddest catches I have made.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 19:58 

Not sure if this is all that "odd", but I caught a red squirrel in an MB450 intended for fox.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 21:16 
Trapper
Trapper

Backwoodsmansback wrote:
BC how in the heck did it get up there? Do hares climb? Our cottontails dont although i learned groundhogs can.

Hares are not known to climb as far as I know this one hopped/climbed to the set that was on a tree leaning about 45 degree but why , the set was baited with beaver and a skunky lure??????

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 21:35 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

During one of my stints in college, I had a room mate (farm guy) that for some reason brought home to the apartment a big domestic rabbit. When he went home for Christmas break he didn't want to take the rabbit home and we couldn't leave it in the apt. so I said I'll take it home to my parents house because we had an unused room in the basement. In this room, we had various heights of old furniture; a coffee table, a old dresser about 4+ ft high, and against one wall, a big 3 panel homemade shelf system that pops and I made to house my many, many models I had made while a kid, including a nearly 6 ft. long, 2 ft. tall wooden battlecruiser I had made (basically 1/72 scale although I think in reality its beam was too narrow--made with a 2x8 board)--and the ship would have rolled over if its big guns would have broadsided with multiple turrets--but I digress).

Anyway, the top shelf of this big set was over 5 feet off of the ground. I walked in one day to feed "Floyd" (my roommate had named the rabbit after his dad for some strange reason) and he was up on the top shelf just chilling. What I figured was that Floyd had hopped up on the coffee table, and then up on the old dresser, and finally up on the top shelf of the model shelves. I took him down and I never saw him up there again during our break. Found rabbit turds up on that shelf occasionally probably for about a year afterwards...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2014, 06:32 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

We have caught 2 beaver by rear feet in the 40 lb range, and a nice sized female bobcat in the tiny #11 traps. No idea how any of them catches even happened with them big feet.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2014, 08:32 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Amak those no.11's are pure poison if they get in them deep enough. I dont think or cant remember anyhow of a hind foot beaver in one but ive caught several by a front foot. Even had a couple still locked up by a front foot and alive in no.11's. Ive held some yotes in'em too. If i can find it ive got a pic of a yote in one, it was the day before deer camp 97(or 96?). I had my brother and his wife and about 7 youngsters(kids had a slumber party plus they had 4 kids already(7now) along plus my oldest 3. I dispatched it from the next levee over thinking it was gonna get away. That wasnt necessary, she was locked up deep n tight. She'd been raiding my dirt holes and dry sets for coon. For some reason i didnt make a set specifically for her, just moved the no.11 further out on the main set she was hitting, barehanded i might add. Experimenting a little. My brother had her mounted but she burnt up with everything else when his house burnt down.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2014, 08:32 
Trapper
Trapper

i will have to say my 2 red fox, same day, 800 yards apart in duke dog proof traps. i was blown away when i walked up on them.

2014/15
2 red fox (2 in dp's )
19 coon
2 coyote (1 give by bowhunter, 1 road kill)
7 skunk (7 to many)
4 opossum