Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 06:38

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bobcat and coon
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2014, 13:19 
Trapper
Trapper

Well I am struggling with photo bucket. Will try again when I have more time. I wanted to upload photos of the my son and I's first coon from this weekend. But my prize pic was a bobcat we released this morning. Not a great pic but very exciting for us. He went under the bridge to check the trap this morning before work and school and came back to the truck and said "you aren't going to believe this but we have a bobcat." Well we took a couple of pics with the phone and then together we nervously released it with the catch pole. They must be released in Indiana. So in our first 2 weeks of trapping with just 2-4 traps out at a time we have caught 2 possum, 1 big coon and a bobcat. Hope that doesn't sound braggy, just really excited.

On a side note, the bobcat was caught in a trap set for coon baited with fish oil and mink gland lure. Is that unusual a bobcat would be interested?

Post subject: Re: Bobcat and coon
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2014, 14:29 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

H71- You must be down in the southern part of IN wheres there's more forest and hilly ground? I thought northern and central IN was a lot like around here, no bobcats. Maybe I'm wrong...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2014, 14:32 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

P.S. Congrats on hte bcat even if you had to release it. Not everyone gets one in their steel. Way to go on the catch-pole release. I don't like even dealing with hissing squirming feral hcats with a catch pole just because I don't like cats in general. Having a much larger one with some serious swinging claws I'm sure raised the pucker factor a bit :)

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2014, 15:05 
Trapper
Trapper

NonPCfed

Yeah we are in hilly southern Indiana. About 10 miles from the southern border (Ohio River). Bobcats have really taken off in the last 10-15 years and there is serious talk of a hunting/trapping season on them.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2014, 15:09 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Congrats on the catches! Bobcats are always something, nice to see them in a trap. It's not at all uncommon for them to come to fish baits. A lot of trappers actually overlook that aspect (fish works pretty well as an attractant for females and young cats). Also don't overlook fish baits for canines, they will also come to it. It's interesting releasing a cat, makes it more so if using a catch pole. Good thing you had some help, cats almost require it if you must release them by catch pole.

NonPC, cats don't require trees, they require cover. The two are not necessarily representative of each other in this case.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2014, 18:30 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thats awesome Hoosier! Congrats on the catches, what you could and couldnt keèp! Might offer you a suggestion. It sounds like your truck is nearby when checking so weight isnt a problem. I prefer a "release board". It works great alone and might be an idea for you incase one day your running traps alone? Catch poles work great but like was said they can be a pain when alone. Only way i do non targets now. Less stressful for them and me. Ive never had it happen but in the scenario they turn on you after the release youve got a big shield between you and them. But i think thats a rarity in itself?

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2014, 21:21 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

CMJr.- I don't mean to pick on you but "cover" can mean a lot of things (I do "land cover" for a living so the whole thing can get pretty messy when it comes to scale changes and how things are classified). I think when you say "cover" you're probably meaning "brush"--trees, dense woody bushes, cedars/junipers, maybe inter-mixed with thick grass. We have some forms of "heavy" cover in e. SD (thick cattail sloughs, waist-high CRP grass, etc.) that are great for pheasants and wt-deer but I doubt hold any bobcats.

In SD, most of the bcats are caught in the West River drainages, big rocky and woody covered buttes, badland areas, and the Black Hills. There are some bcats on the east side of the River where its breaky and there are cedar/some hardwood woodlands and actual Missouri River valley forest proper. The state just opened a season along the lower 7 counties on the east side of the Missouri 2 years ago but I haven't heard any results about it. I wouldn't be surprised if there were bcats along the lower reaches of at least the Big Sioux River, and maybe James and Vermillion as well, but I've never heard of anyone catching one. Away from the Missouri River in East River, I've never heard of any resident bobcats even though there are lots of big cattail and bulrush sloughs and some big grassy hilly areas that have some tree and brush cover but not a lot. Maybe its a prey thing as well. For whatever the reason our form of cover doesn't hold bcats.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 06:36 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Nonpc, I can see why the 'cats are absent in your neck of the woods, if the terrain is anything like the image I have in my head of it. Here, 'cats are found virtually always around heavy tall grasslands like CRP, but the difference may well be edge. Our grasslands for the most part are broken up by heavy bushed fence rows, hedge rows, brushy draws, thickets, and the such like, giving the cat a place to slip down through while picking off prey on the edges of the grasses. I have in my mind vast acres of solidly grown heavy grasses and cattails and such there, and that don't leave a whole lot of room for the cat to see it's prey to gain an advantage no matter the style of hunting the cat may do. For a cat to just take off hunting through acres of heavy grass with no edge is useless and unproductive for them. So you can easily see why there would be so much area that is un inhabitable for them, seeing how food and hunting success is everything for a good cat base. The grass is just so close together and thick they cannot gain the advantage without edge. All kinds of prey inhabit the grasses for them, they just cannot get to them effectively enough.

What cat man means by them not needing trees, is the fact that they do not need or even want heavily forested area's of mature stands. Certainly cats can make a living in that condition, but with big vast mature timber prevailing the underbrush tends to be shaded out. That is a double edged sword for the cat as then they have not enough cover to slip up on prey effectively, nor are there the prey base numbers, seeing how most of it's prey animals thrive in woody brush, bushes and shrubs that are on the ground or providing cover very close to the ground. But still the cat can approach from a short distance knowing it's prey is in front of it because it can see just far enough, and also gains the element of surprise. In mature timbers, most of the cover is in the upper canopy along with the prey base, making it very difficult for the cat to stay into the prey like they need to be. That's why in heavy forested area's where cats do survive, they must cover immense amounts of ground to keep up with the scattered food base. If the ground cover is there with mature tree's, then the cats will still thrive, but, take away those mature trees and leave the same underbrush and the cats go on unchanged. The same cannot rightly be said in the reverse. Taking this into consideration, it's also easy to see why cats tend to like low lying areas like drainages and valleys so often. With all the area's nutrition and moisture being carried by the lay of the land to these low area's, it's the richest part of the whole area, and thus, the vegetation, shrubs and bushes in particular, grow the heaviest in those area's. That in turn means the same will hold the largest amount of prey that depend on those shrubs and bushes. It's kind of the same with grasses that have edge, because such a large amount of rodents inhabit native type heavy grasses. One of those rodents are a huge food base for cats where ever they exist, and they are the many strains of Hispid Cotton Rats.....but again the cat needs at least some edge with the RIGHT kind of cover, to be able to detect the prey, stalk it, and ambush it successfully.... and needs enough room to do so without the prey detecting it first. Females need vast amounts of prey to keep success rates high in order to support 2-6 hungry little mouths, compounding the need for suitable habitat. If that doesn't exist, the cats don't either. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 15:21 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

A lot of people dont think about the understory with mature forests, there virtually is none. Its good for squirrels if its hardwoods/nut trees but deer and predators dont prefer it at all. It was amazing in my younger years we'd log a farm and the farmers would start complaining about deer moving in. Mature forests are gorgeous but can be a game void. I think most predators are edge hunters, ive found K9s like to hunt where two types of cover meet too like a pinestand and CRP etc. deer are like that too, oûrs travel the edges, maybe thats why the predators started hunting there too?

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 21:51 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Amak wrote:
What cat man means by them not needing trees, is the fact that they do not need or even want heavily forested area's of mature stands. Certainly cats can make a living in that condition, but with big vast mature timber prevailing the underbrush tends to be shaded out. That is a double edged sword for the cat as then they have not enough cover to slip up on prey effectively, nor are there the prey base numbers, seeing how most of it's prey animals thrive in woody brush, bushes and shrubs that are on the ground or providing cover very close to the ground. But still the cat can approach from a short distance knowing it's prey is in front of it because it can see just far enough, and also gains the element of surprise. In mature timbers, most of the cover is in the upper canopy along with the prey base, making it very difficult for the cat to stay into the prey like they need to be. That's why in heavy forested area's where cats do survive, they must cover immense amounts of ground to keep up with the scattered food base. If the ground cover is there with mature tree's, then the cats will still thrive, but, take away those mature trees and leave the same underbrush and the cats go on unchanged. The same cannot rightly be said in the reverse. Taking this into consideration, it's also easy to see why cats tend to like low lying areas like drainages and valleys so often. With all the area's nutrition and moisture being carried by the lay of the land to these low area's, it's the richest part of the whole area, and thus, the vegetation, shrubs and bushes in particular, grow the heaviest in those area's. That in turn means the same will hold the largest amount of prey that depend on those shrubs and bushes. It's kind of the same with grasses that have edge, because such a large amount of rodents inhabit native type heavy grasses. One of those rodents are a huge food base for cats where ever they exist, and they are the many strains of Hispid Cotton Rats.....but again the cat needs at least some edge with the RIGHT kind of cover, to be able to detect the prey, stalk it, and ambush it successfully.... and needs enough room to do so without the prey detecting it first. Females need vast amounts of prey to keep success rates high in order to support 2-6 hungry little mouths, compounding the need for suitable habitat. If that doesn't exist, the cats don't either. Hope this helps.

Yes this is what I was eluding to. I'm sorry NonPC, looking back at what I posted, it came off as kind of snappy. I apologize, that wasn't what I was intending.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2014, 20:26 

Hoosier, you aren't bragging at all! We are excited for you! Catching a bobcat is about as exciting as trapping gets IMO. You and your son must have an eye for location to be having success. It isn't at all uncommon for a newbie to bat zero their first year with footholds. I know from personal experience!
Here in Northern MN, the bobcats are flourishing. A few years ago, I would report to the group every time I found a cat track. It was a big deal to me. Now I can go out and find a track any time I want. In fact, I saw a bobcat tonight on the road while running my line. We have a limit of five in MN and can hunt them as well. Ours aren't nearly as pretty as the Southern and Western cats, but they can get pretty hefty.
Good luck with the photobucket. Once you figure it out, it's easy. Scan the archives for posts about how to use it, they are there.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2014, 21:36 
Trapper
Trapper

TrapperAl

Thanks for the kind words and for the opportunity to pick brains on here. If I am having success it is mostly from countless hours on this message board. Hopefully the picture of our bobcat shows up.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2014, 23:09 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Not a very good pic Hoosier.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2014, 23:19 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Congrats on your catches H71. Knowing you can catch a bobcat is almost as good as getting to keep it, but not quite. :roll: You will be ready when they make it legal to keep them.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2014, 23:27 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Oh heck, I forgot, congrats on the catches also. Darn cool. 8) To bad you had to turn the cat loose. :(

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2014, 12:26 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Its hard to tell, but is he caught by his back paw?

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2014, 20:49 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Cats are a very exciting animal to have in the trap. Congrats!

I feel your pain of the release. Several years back I had to "release" an otter to the State before we had an established otter season. I missed it i think by one year. A good friend felt sorry enough for me that he picked up an otter where in his State is legal, had it tagged, tanned it, cleaned the skull, and shipped it to me as a gift to ease my pain. I'll never forget that extremely kind gesture, and it still hangs on my bedroom wall next to my bed. With the risk of embarrassing him, I will keep his name, but he is a very promenent member right here on WAT.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2014, 23:20 
Trapper
Trapper

Longhair
Yes it is on the back paw. It was either an accidental as he was walking on the berm under the small bridge or he was standing on his back paws trying to lick/smell the lure we put on the beam.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2014, 08:44 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I dont know how your set was made or what set type it was, and that might have been an issue for the rear foot catch. But honestly a cat can work a set and go through it properly and for what ever reason still get hit on the rear foot. Ive had it happen several times on classic bobcat sets blocked in tight and right, and set specifically for the cat. I guess im just saying it may not have been as accidental, or wierd as it might seem. Hoosier, you guys may well be able to repeat that catch quite easily in the future should you all get your cat season. It looks like a Tom to me from body structure....do you know its sex?

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2014, 09:08 
Trapper
Trapper

Amak

As you can see, we were way to nervous/excited to get a good picture, let alone roll it over and sex it! LOL

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2014, 12:44 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Hahaha! I can see your point about being excited! If you happen in the situation again and think you want to know the sex,Cats are built wierd in "that" area, and just from looking at the rear end, even just standing there, a toms goody bag is right up next to the underside of its anus. That makes it visible from behind and no need to have to examine from belly side like you would have to on a canine. Its nice to know, if you do get a season, because it can define what the approach to the rest of the area would be to engage in more cats. Females habits and toms habits vary greatly in some very key cat trapping aspects. Thats just future info that you may or may not use someday. Again, very nice catch on a great cat....of which i believe to have been a tom.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2014, 15:41 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Been busy and little time to post. No apolgy needed CMJr. I just thought th eterm "cover" needed to be expanded.

Both Amak and Backwoodsman mentioned edges and how that might affect bcat ranges. We have lots of edges in eastern SD but few of them have this kind of cover as described by Amak:

Quote:
Our grasslands for the most part are broken up by heavy bushed fence rows, hedge rows, brushy draws, thickets, and the such like, giving the cat a place to slip down through while picking off prey on the edges of the grasses.

and we certainly don't have:

Quote:
Hispid Cotton Rats

So, I think its the lack of specific covers, especially "cooridors" of them and a prey issue, although I'd think bcats would eat ground squirrels and voles.

Who knows, maybe I'll get surprised some day but probably would have to get some legholds out to test that theory :wink: