Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 19:31

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2014, 13:04 
Trapper
Trapper

I have pretty much trapped out my coon spots so I decided to try trapping some fox or coyotes. I have a thick little swamp loaded with canine tracks of some kind. Some are much larger than others. I saw one fox in there earlier during bow season. I only have one coyote trap so far (duke #4 offset) so I'm setting it in a little pinch point where the tracks come together. I put in a dirt hole set. Trap is 8-9" behind the hole and for bait I have a chunk of kaats bros Red lable in a handful of sheep's wool. I put a small log right behind the hole for backing and sprayed some fox urine on it along with a few fresh dog turds from our little house dog. I need some tips if y'all have any. Thanks

Muskrats 4 (first)
Mink 1 (first)
Beavers 2 (first)
Coyotes 1 (first)
Red fox 2
Otter 1 (first)
Skunk 1 (first)

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2014, 13:25 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Don't know where you are located, but snares will work very well in the situation you described, if you are allowed to use them. There is a ton of information floating around on this and other trapping sites. Read all you can for different ideas. What works in one area might not work where you are.

REM

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2014, 14:17 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks remrogers. I'm in indiana. Snares would be a great choice for my situation. I've never used anything except footholds and conibears so it would be a learning experience. Is there any particular brand of snare that you could recommend?

Muskrats 4 (first)
Mink 1 (first)
Beavers 2 (first)
Coyotes 1 (first)
Red fox 2
Otter 1 (first)
Skunk 1 (first)

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2014, 15:20 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Sounds like your on the right track. Im no help with snares. No.4's too heavy for fox. Soon as your able id get some 1.75's/1 3/4s or 2's. Eastern yotes can be held quite well in those. We catch alot of yotes n fox in 1.5's but they pretty heavily modified. Kaatz makes good stuff. Since your in Indiana check out Hoosier trappers supply too. Sometimes the local houses have the icing on the cake for their region/area. Personally ive had mixed results with domestic canine attractives. Could be what they eat? May work for you though? May need to mix the sets, lure and bait up. Last few years the sunny day trappers here hit the critters hard. The K9'ers used dirt holes almost exclusively. Ive had good luck in swampy areas using bones for backing. Seems like a lot of critters meet their demise in those areas. Yotes are attracted to the bones. The white really stands out. Just watch any exposed bait laws. Youd probably get a few tips etc doin a search on here. Is your trap dyed n waxed etc? Yotes can be dumb, they can also be Wiley n tricky too. Good luck.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2014, 15:53 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Don't crowd them at all. If they feel closed in they wont come near it.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2014, 16:57 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks for the tips guys. I have a pile of deer bones but the last time I used one for a backing I just caught possums. I'll give it a shot again though. As far as my anchor system I have an 18 inch wolf fang cable stake. Is that deep enough? I sure couldn't pull it out.

Muskrats 4 (first)
Mink 1 (first)
Beavers 2 (first)
Coyotes 1 (first)
Red fox 2
Otter 1 (first)
Skunk 1 (first)

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2014, 18:58 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Woodswalker wrote:

I crowd them in all the time with no problems and so do others that I know. :wink:

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2014, 20:17 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Richard Murray wrote:
Woodswalker wrote:

I crowd them in all the time with no problems and so do others that I know. :wink:

I would like to debate crowding coyotes if you all want to. :shock:

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2014, 20:56 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Sac Creek wrote:
Richard Murray wrote:
Woodswalker wrote:

I would like to debate crowding coyotes if you all want to. :shock:

I'm game :D

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2014, 00:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Im game.. But by crowding you mean a lot of brush ie: to funnel them? Ive brushed in trails and caught yotes, its a given some may have spooked out, I'd never know if they did unless there was snow. I have no experience snaring so i cant debate cow drippings about crowding into snares? But footholds yes. But ones "crowding" may be anothers a"lightly brushed"? I do crowd sets .. Firm believer in gang setting. Always believed if its good enough spot for one set, 2 wont hurt.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2014, 10:37 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Here is my take on crowding canines. If its in a brushy wooded area, you can crowd them into a snare or foothold with little problems. They are use to the brush at least in that area and do not seem to mind one bit. They push through the brush of the area all the time hunting, eating, and traveling. I've caught way too many very large and old wise males to think any different in cat sets that most folks would think were too closed in even for coons to get through. On the flip side, I have laid down a 3" around 6' long limb as a means of guiding in open grasslands that were not far from timber (30 yrds) and couldnt get a single yote to approach it even after they had approached my first made set that was open.

Its my belief that it boils down to what is normal or abnormal to any specific spot, and run of yotes/fox. If you block in a set with alot of wood in grass and barren ground you wont likely catch a yote consistently. But if you use grass, and dirt to do the deed you will score and score. In reverse, clear out a circle in thick dogwood growth they are running through, and make an open set and your chances dwindle of a hit because they will likely skirt it. Its the same for snares or foot holds baited or just scent. Nothing is for certain all the time, and anything can happen. I tend to make a set according to what it is like where im trapping.... and if im in an area that will allow me to block in heavily i will.....but if im restricted to open terrain i keep it subtle.

One of the best snaremen i know is wolf. He doesnt promote blocking in of snares for canines. And in the vast majority of where he sets the under brush as i know it, is non existant up there. I take yotes regularly and anytime i want to in snares blocked in heavily, but it is in areas so filled with under brush you about cant get through. In areas of less brush i do what he does and set open. Its all relative to your area and our personal trapping conditions in any one spot as to the approach. In most cases, even some set that is out of the ordinary, if left long enough will become the ordinary and thus will hit....even wood type blocked in sets in the open. But most of us do NOT have that kind of time or patience for that to take place. Ever see a yote hunting in and around an old broken down brush pile in a pasture? Using all your resources instead of just half makes us more versital and expanded trappers that can and will be successful in any terrain, anywhere.