Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 00:33

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2014, 13:47 

Well, better late than never! This is the latest I've ever started trapping but at least I have some steel set. Today is the first day of mink and muskrat in PA and decided to go for mink. The occasional muskrat wouldn't be bad but they are few and far between. About 3 miles up the road from my house is an old beaver dam location that has produced mink and the occasional muskrat for me consistently. I normally do really well with bottom edge sets here but due to below freezing conditions for a week, the creek is completely frozen!

The good news is, there was plenty of mink sign in the snow on top of the ice.

All of the traps set today were blind sets and crossing logs.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2014, 14:54 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Good luck to you. Positive note you have good mink sign therefore I would think a catch should happen very soon :D Looking forward to some of your PA pics

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2014, 15:06 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Best of luck to you Rick! May your chains be tight man. :wink:

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2014, 19:00 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Good luck Rick

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2014, 21:07 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Go get 'em Rick!!

I have a place in the backyard creeklet where a mink (caught one about 10 feet away 3 years ago) would have to slither up over a willow tree branch in the main "channel". I've modified it a bit with some bunches of grass and now corn stalks so now there only about enough room for the 120 to fill the hole. I think I'll invert one and have the trigger wires at the bottom and see what happens. Last time in the creeklet I had a mostly submerged 120 overing a pocket for nearly 3 weeks before the buck came by. I would like history to repeat itself :)

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2014, 10:10 

Well, 4 days and nothing yet. I don't have that many traps out but I thought with the snow storm the animals would have been moving.

This is what my crossing log sets look like this morning.

My young nephew had a ball tagging along checking traps this morning.

Last edited by trapperrick on 27 Nov 2014, 10:18, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2014, 10:17 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Winter wonderland , good luck to you over the weekend and enjoy your Thanksgiving.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2014, 11:43 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

I thought for sure that you'd have a mink in the crossing log set! It may not help to have the snow, but it is pretty (to me). Good luck Rick.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2014, 00:06 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Having any luck Rick? Sometimes those old boar mink have a huge loop they run. Oughta be cruising back thru anytime. Ever try or have any luck with coni cubbies for mink? We've even used the big food service cans and modified them for either one or two 110's( i know some like/ preder 120'a bût we dont have many anymore and found 110's work just as good for us). Nice too see you taking youngsters along. Does he hve te bug yet or still developiñg the trapping obsession?

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2014, 06:17 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I know little to nothing about mink so forgive my ignorance, but I have a question. All I can relate to in this mink instance is how a coon or bobcat would react. With those two animals, I consistently find that if they are using a crossing log while winter is still at bay and fall is in, then suddenly winter comes on with snow and creeks freeze, they tend to abandon crossing logs and start running down on the ice of the creek when its thick enough to hold them. I guess its easy travel compared to the heavier snow up on the banks and outlying area. I just wonder why mink dont do this if its availiable?

Again i know not much, but Ken Smyth in his bottom edge set book claimed his catches would increase by a bunch once weather turned bad and ice came on and thought it drove the mink to hunt the water under the ice more consistently then when water was open. I have no clue if its that way always and everywhere but its something a person might consider. I think in Charles Dobbins mink book he trapped very successfully under ice for mink as well.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2014, 08:45 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Amak i think your right. Less resistance on the ice then inches+ etc of snow. Owls etc take mink too and up foundering in the snow probably isnt the safest place to be. I know if theres a freeze and water levels drop that gap between the surface of the water and the ice can be a bonanza for mink trapping. As long as its just 5 or 6 inches they'll turn it into a highway. Outside bends in that situation and setting right up right against the bank on inside bends works good. Guess theyre officially dry sets but 110s were tailor made for that set. I dont have a lot of experience with the bottom edge set and little success. I know guys that runem almost exclusively once the watèrs iced over. My "barricade sets" i always set in the fastest part of a section of creek. Not necessarily a rapids but in a narrow section i watch for the current line and set my 210 there in it. On open water mink(and rats) will travel in that current just gliding along. Ive watched it too many times in deer stands an fishing for it to be a fluke or just a rarity.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2014, 17:58 

Mink are amazing animals. Don Powell put it best in his video when he said, mink don't do what they should do. He has a video called mink after mink on purpose and he has a lot of trail camera footage of mink. They do use crossing logs quite a bit but like you mentioned Amak, they do seem to abandon them as soon as the water freezes.
Right now, I only have about 8 or 9 traps out. I took out the crossing log sets because it's now deer season in PA and lots of hunters with sticky fingers are out and about. It's been tough because the first day of mink season was November 20th and the creeks were already frozen. I set crossing log sets because I couldn't set bottom edge sets. Since then, 3 straight days of weather in the 60's melted all of the ice and I set some bottom edge sets. This place where they are set has been very productive for mink for me the last 2 years. So far, nothing..........

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2014, 19:47 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Hey T-rick. Just checking in. Wondered how things are going and if you had any traps out. Hadn't seen your thread come up in a bit so thought id say Hi. Hope all is well buddy. :)

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 04:50 

Things were scaled way back for the rifle deer season which has been going on for the past 2 weeks Amak. deer season ended this past Saturday and now starting to gear back up again. I set a couple of land traps yesterday for canines and getting ready to set for fisher and bobcat which that season starts this coming Saturday.

Deer season ended with an empty freezer and so fay I have an empty fur shed as well. I really thought I would be able to get more trapping in this year since my new job keeps me local. The one thing I didn't count on was the constant overtime. Don't get me wrong, that's one reason I took the new job was for the job stability, but I have less "me time" than I thought I would have. So, I will just make the best of it.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 18:10 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

If you have a chance to get down this way Rick, I can load you up with some deer meat. :wink: Do you all have a late doe season ? Ours comes in Thursday.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 19:27 

doc9013 wrote:
If you have a chance to get down this way Rick, I can load you up with some deer meat. :wink: Do you all have a late doe season ? Ours comes in Thursday.

We have a late archery and flintlock muzzleloader season which begins the day after Christmas. By then, the deer are scared blankless and we put on drives for them. Ever try shooting a deer running 60 miles an hour through the woods with a flintlock muzzleloader? The first miracle is if the muzzleloader goes off.... :lol:
Thanks for the offer Doc! I plan on another visit. Just let me know when and I can try to swing it.

As far as the trapping, I caught my first fur today, a woods rabbit....Sorry, no pics. We have 2 sub-species of rabbits around here, the eastern cottontail rabbit and the Appalachian cottontail rabbit or woods rabbit as we call them. It is now being used as coyote bait.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 20:33 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

You know you're welcome here anytime Rick ! Why didn't you eat that rabbit ? :shock:

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2014, 12:44 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Lol, i was thinking the same thing as Doc, rabbit sounds good. Rick whats the issue with your flintlock? Bad hang fire? No bang? Flash in the pan?

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2014, 13:10 
Trapper
Trapper

Backwoodsmansback wrote:
Rick whats the issue with your flintlock? Bad hang fire? No bang? Flash in the pan?

I'm not answering for Rick but if he's like me, it's that millasecond delay that you just have to look up to see what you hit or I mean missed.
Good luck on the line this winter Rick, cable season is coming soon :D

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2014, 17:51 

carpcatcher wrote:
Backwoodsmansback wrote:
Rick whats the issue with your flintlock? Bad hang fire? No bang? Flash in the pan?

I'm not answering for Rick but if he's like me, it's that millasecond delay that you just have to look up to see what you hit or I mean missed.
Good luck on the line this winter Rick, cable season is coming soon :D

Well, once it comes to the after Christmas flintlock season, I'd rather be trapping but my dad likes to deer hunt. Now, after the deer have been pushed and shot at for 2 weeks by 800,000 hunters across PA, the deer are just a bit skittish. Then throw in snow, fog or a cold rain and you have tough conditions for using a flintlock rifle. You know that old saying, keep your powder dry? Well the 4F powder in the pan doesn't always ignite after the flint hits the frizzen and sparks fly.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2014, 02:21 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Heres a few tips/tricks i use for foul weather flintlocks. First i load it outside if its cold out, under a cover of course. I seal the edges of the pan by rubbing an old unscented candle vigorously along the edge. Theres better waterproofing materials for the pan.. But.. If its too "sticky" or actually is partially frozen or congealed the lock time is horrible. Crisco as lard work too if you dont Ming the oil/ grease on your frizzed, pan and gun. I cover the muzzle with black tape, just one good piece. It'll blow right off when you fire. You can use a condom if you wish and some are sold expressly for this purpose now but i like the tape. A "calfs knee" over the lock or some sort of waterproof cover but a tanned piece of hide works good just be careful with colors. Darker the better for safety's sake or even blaze orange etc. traditionally it was a calf or deer knees hide. Maybe one day Pennsylvania will allow other ignition options for that season. Theres things you can do too so the lock time is shortened a little also. I hunt a lot with powder burners. Not everything i do is foolproof but ive made bangs and meat enough in bad weather i know it helps some.. Good luck...

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2014, 20:34 

I caught a red fox in my fisher trap this morning. He was pretty good size.

He weighed in at 13 pounds.

Last edited by trapperrick on 22 Dec 2014, 20:41, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2014, 20:39 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

nice fox TR

pepe lepue 3
greys 8
reds
coys3
Johnny sneekum hopefully
beaver 9
bobcat 7
otter 2

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2014, 20:42 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Great catch TR! PLUS you posted a picture and actually weighed it....very nice! :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2014, 20:55 
Trapper
Trapper

A fox in a fisher set is way better than a grinner in a fox set. Nice catch