Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 09:58

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snares
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2014, 23:19 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Hey guys, just about time to start setting cable restraints here in Wisconsin. Season for that starts dec. 1st. My question is, does anyone wax or die their snares? I've read about guys just leaving them out to try and get the smell off of them, I don't want to start setting and not connect because they have some scent on them. Any feedback would be appreciated ,thanks guys.

Post subject: Re: Snares
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2014, 08:47 
Trapper
Trapper

i'm pretty wet behind my ears myself about snaring but i boiled my snares in baking soda and left them outside for a few days, i at least can smell and oil on them.

2014/15
2 red fox (2 in dp's )
19 coon
2 coyote (1 give by bowhunter, 1 road kill)
7 skunk (7 to many)
4 opossum

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2014, 16:46 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

I have boiled them in baking soda , and I have boiled them in logwood dye. I have also caught critters in snares that were neither boiled or dyed, just hung out to air - out. I prefer to dye them however, they blend in a lot better. I have never waxed my snares. I try to wear gloves when setting to reduce scent, but I have set a lot without gloves and still connected.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2014, 17:36 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

2bird wrote:
i'm pretty wet behind my ears myself about snaring but i boiled my snares in baking soda and left them outside for a few days, i at least can smell and oil on them.

By boiling your snares you are taking the oil out of the snares. Not a good thing. They will rust from the inside out and you can't see it. If you are set on boiling them you need to put tannin back in them and that means by dyeing them. The tannin in the dye will stop them from rusting for a while. I personally don't do anything to them, but make them and set them. I don't believe they hold much odor anyways. The secret is to break up the outline of the loop with long grass, weeds and ect. I just tie the grass or weeds onto the support with floral wire to where it will break up the outline and that is it. The color means nothing. Animals don't see color like we do. It's a black and white world to them. When I set them up in open prairie, I have problems even finding them. So if I have a problem seeing them then I have no worries about the critter seeing them also. This is just my findings and my 2 cents. So if you have boiled them in soda, it would be wise to dye them to prevent the rust. Rust will destroy a cable in a short time. :wink:

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2014, 20:39 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Depending where you are ofcourse. But a lot of animals are used to ducking threw or under fences. So even the scent isn't quite as big of a deal to them. With footholds part of the problem is that they know there isn't such a thing as a free meal. Then add human and/or the scent of something in the ground..........

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2014, 23:56 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Thanks guys, that answers it, probably gonna hang em outside for the next week. That should do the trick. :--D
A week or two outside should be sufficient I'm hoping. Good luck to all and I'll post any pics if I can seal the deal.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2014, 00:17 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Richard Murray wrote:
2bird wrote:

By boiling your snares you are taking the oil out of the snares. Not a good thing. They will rust from the inside out and you can't see it. If you are set on boiling them you need to put tannin back in them and that means by dyeing them. The tannin in the dye will stop them from rusting for a while. I personally don't do anything to them, but make them and set them. I don't believe they hold much odor anyways. The secret is to break up the outline of the loop with long grass, weeds and ect. I just tie the grass or weeds onto the support with floral wire to where it will break up the outline and that is it. The color means nothing. Animals don't see color like we do. It's a black and white world to them. When I set them up in open prairie, I have problems even finding them. So if I have a problem seeing them then I have no worries about the critter seeing them also. This is just my findings and my 2 cents. So if you have boiled them in soda, it would be wise to dye them to prevent the rust. Rust will destroy a cable in a short time. :wink:

You know a lot more about snaring than I do Richard, and I should be more careful with my wording. I usually don't " boil " my snares, I simmer them. But I have on occasion let the fire get too hot and come back to find them at a roiling boil. I haven't been snaring as long as you have, but I have never had a problem with rust. I have had some big boar coon that nearly chewed through the cable when they were caught behind the shoulders, but it was with new cable. I never re-use snares after a catch, so rust has never been a problem for me.
One thing I disagree with you about is that " color means nothing " . By " color " I Assume you mean new, shiny snare cable , or dyed cable, or simmered in baking soda to remove the shine. If I am wrong, I apologize. I don't believe animals see color the way we do. They see shades of black, white , and gray. But I do believe they see light and dark shades , and shine. I have spent a lot of nights in the woods, and seen lots of "shiny " things in the woods. if I can see the moonlight reflect off of shiny pieces of metal in the woods on a moonlight night , I believe a coyote or a fox could see it even better. I could be wrong, but why do so many cat trappers hang up shiny objects to attract bobcats to their sets ? Maybe they can't see the "shine " of a snare cable that isn't dyed, but I like every possible edge I can take advantage of.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2014, 12:59 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

a local trapper around me puts a light coat of black spray paint on his snares, so I'm trying that. He said hes spray painted them, then set them the next day and still caught critters in them

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2014, 16:50 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

If your going to let them hang awhile that would be OK, but it seems to me that the paint smell may hang onto it for awhile.
And may also effect the function of the lock.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2014, 23:50 
Trapper
Trapper

Let me say, I don't have it all figured out about snares. I have been using them since the early 80s. Some years more than others. I mainly use them for beaver, but have used them for yotes also.

I will not boil, or simmer them in water. I agree with Richard. Now, one line of thought is, if you do this, and use them the same year, it most likely wont matter if they do start to rust on the inside, but if you try to use it the next year you may not like seeing the broken snare. With my luck that would happen. I got to see some snares set at a demo, that were dyed a very nice color, and I didn't see them and was five feet from them for a long time, the color was that good. This stuff was water based or well could be thinned with water, so there would be the same problem with rust in time I believe. This is just my feeling, but black is not the color to paint them. To me they stick out more painted black than with no color on them. Again that is just me.

I had some bad luck with some cable one time, being the conservative ok, cheap person that I am. The one place to not be cheap is with the cable you use. That penny or two I saved, was wasted as it rusted in less than 2 weeks being used as a drowner cable.

Paint snares if you want, but do test them to make sure things move like they should before you head out to set them. Most of the time, just working them a few times will have them ready to set.

Best of luck to you!
Remember, be careful.