Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 18:17

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: #3 OS for fox?
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2014, 09:45 
Trapper
Trapper

Ok, i have 9 Duke #3 OS for coyote but my question is will it hold a fox, coon, bobcat? would it be batter to go to a 1.75 or a 2?

2014/15
2 red fox (2 in dp's )
19 coon
2 coyote (1 give by bowhunter, 1 road kill)
7 skunk (7 to many)
4 opossum

Post subject: Re: #3 OS for fox?
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2014, 12:36 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Covering a wide area of critters and sizes with those species. #3 or maybe a #2 for coyote and bobcat. #3 is Way too big for fox or coon. A #2 is really still big for coon and a bit so for fox. Personally i wouldnt deliberately set anything over a 1.5 for fox but 1.75 would do in a pinch. I have caught and held plenty of yotes in 1.75 just fine. I dont care for 1.5 coils for coon here in Kansas because our coon are big enough to be very strong and yet small enough to pull the front slim foot out of 1.5's way to easily. You will lose a good number of coons in them that you should have in your bag. 1.5 long spring is ok but the #11 double longspring will hold as many coon and more then any other trap i know of....they are amazing esp with double jaws. I know its hard to deal with in money and all, but there is no catch all sized trap. Every animal has a size trap for them. When you start deviating from that, both you and/or the animal suffers the cost.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2014, 12:47 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Amen to the #11 longspring for coon.

If you use 1.5 longspring be sure and move the chain, j-hook 7 swivel to opposite end of trap from spring.

But you did not ask about either of these, The #3 OS may not be the best choice for fox but very good for coyote and bobcats.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2014, 14:20 
Trapper
Trapper

ok, for coon i'm really happy with dp's and i'm ok with 1.5's set up on drowners. i guess what time really asking is, what would be a good coyote/bobcat trap that if i got a fox/coon in it i would have a decent chance of them staying in the trap, i am not specifically targeting fox/coon with the trap in question.

2014/15
2 red fox (2 in dp's )
19 coon
7 skunk (7 to many)
4 opossum

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2014, 14:57 
Trapper
Trapper

I just started using the new Bridger #2 dogless this season and have got yotes and fox in them with no problems at all. They seem a little big for the fox but didn't harm them. I was using the 1.75's and they just didn't seem to hold the yotes that I pinched :x .

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2014, 17:49 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I see....now I get you. I don't know if there is a perfect answer to that scenerio. If you were asking about a coyote trap with the possibilities of coon or fox getting in them it would be a little easier because you can typically use a smaller trap on coyote then what works best for bobcat. I prefer a #3 for bobcat period, because they have such large feet and there is a whole lot less chance of making marginal hits on a high dollar cat. I do like #3 for yotes as well, but a person can very effectively drop to a #2 and that would work ok for fox, but coon are still going to be a problem. Your best shot would be #2 with no offset for sake of the coon but you will lose some. Every fox will be in there though if its a decent hit. On the flip side should a large tom bobcat come by the #2 will have a better chance of a marginal hit with him. Kind of a catch 22.

What I do, is use #3, then fairly close to the set or on the same trail on either side of the #3 i plant dps. A#3 with a large offset will help in the case of a fox if it dont get up the leg too high and is perfect for yotes and cats. I normally am not dealing with fox where there are decent trapable numbers of yotes or in the case of bobcats for that matter. What few places i do indeed have a few yotes around with red fox, i target the fox and size for them. A good red around Kansas is most often worth as much or more then a typical yote and i have averaged better on the red fox. I have gotten as much as $90 for reds through the auctions at NAFA, plus reds are 10X less work. A great trap that will catch fox and yet hold a coyote with is the MB 450. I have lost very few yotes and they are excellent for fox. I have held large coon in the beefy little strong arms too. But to be fair i have lost some coon and a few yotes in them...... like i say, there is no real perfect answer because their is no perfect trap for all 4 of those animals with one trap. I would think a normal sized #2 would be the best option. Bridger traps run large for the size so be aware of that.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2014, 08:12 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thru the 80's my favorite k9 trap was the 1.75 Victor Professional. Little too heavy for coon but it did work. Like was said several times theres no perfect trap that covers all 4 of tour target critters. Whats best for one is a compromise for others etc etc. i have no cat experience so im no help there. I caught many of the 3 besides cats in no.2 DBL in the 70's and its still my favorite snow/frozen/ rough ground trap for k9's but its really too big for coon. The DP idea or extra "sloppy" coon sets around the k9 set is a good idea and ive employed that myself. Targeting coon only.. No.11, hands down.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2014, 09:35 
Trapper
Trapper

i have one 1.75 Victor Professional, i dont know i guess i will just have to give a #2 a try and see what happens, i like to think i could catch some bobcat but who really knows if i will anyway. Thanks Guys

2014/15
2 red fox (2 in dp's )
19 coon
7 skunk (7 to many)
4 opossum