Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 03:05

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Desert Trapping
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2014, 19:01 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

OK, to start this thread , I would like to recognize the people and media that I have learned from.
As a wee boy, I water and dry land trapped in Texas in the late 70's and Early 80's (80-81).
My mentor was Harold Price, a man that had lived the old ways and knew a lot more than me
and didn't pass a lot of that knowledge on. I recon I still owe him some traps that dissappeared
while I was trapping with them. He went on to writing books under the name Wildwood Dean.
I moved to the desert in 1998 and didn't even think about trapping until about the 2006-07 season.
I got on the internet and started looking at trapping forums, some were good, some not.
Joined WAT and felt good about it, not like some sites, Trapperman was to arguementative,
Sullivan's line was to restrictive as to how the question was asked and semantics. The other
forums where generally state forums that didn't help (I thought).
From my youth, I could track and bed traps, but the desert was different, the soft (sand) and
hard (rock) soils where not the clay soils I had trapped in the past and I knew I had some
schooling to do. Not knowing any trappers in this area my only hope was the internet and I used
it to the max. I learned internet facts about the animals that were in my area and began to find
that these facts were like the stuff printed in the hunting and trapping magazines from days gone
by. Just like anything on the net, take everything with at least 4 grains of salt. Sometimes, the
information was good, but didn't apply to the areas I was trapping, sometimes it was pure
bogus.
I guess I just went on a RANT, so, here are the people and sites that helped me learn to be a
desert trapper. Lone Gunman, a great Tonapah, Nv. trapper .Tracy Truman, a great Las Vegas
Trapper, and so many others on so many trapping sites that A: I don't remember and B: it
doesn't really matter. As for internet sites, they ALL helped, whether I was a member or not and
it didn't even matter where they were based or what they were trapping. I have learned from
any trapping site I have ever been on. Even if not something directly pertaining to desert trapping,
a new way to stake or set or a new lure, bait, trap, or system of trapping.
To end this first post on desert trapping, I would like to thank every trapper I have met in person
and every trapper that has ever posted on the internet. The knowledge that is passed on in this age
is trueley a thousand times more useful than the pamplets or word of mouth that I had in the 70's.

Kelley

Post subject: Re: Desert Trapping
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2014, 20:01 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Interesting start, Kelley. I look forward to reading your thread!!

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2014, 20:41 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

The main thing about desert trapping is the same for trapping anywhere. SET ON SIGN.
The problem in many desert areas like mine are that sign can be hard to impossible to find.
Looking for a print in the dry desert soils we deal with is a fustrating job. Unless it has rained recently, the soil is dry and pug marks are all you are going to see- could be a cat, yote, dog- anything that walks. If it has rained, the prints can stay pretty much "fresh" for a year or more. Scat is another problem. Without rain to break it down, scat can last for years. This means that someplace that seems like a great area may be, OR, it could have been last year. Also some areas can be good at certain times, not others. What I am talking about are the extremes of elevation and seasons. Coyotes and badgers generally stay in the lower elevations here, grey fox and lions generaly stay up high. Bobcats can be at any elevation as can any other species. I will explain later as I post, just remember- elevation, season, cover for now.
All furbearers have their prefered prey and habitat and as the seasons progress, they move up and down in elevation to compensate for temperature, prey, and cover. Snow in my post equals both elevation and cover as it slows movement, increases or decreases vision, changes prey behavior and lowers temps, therefore lowering elevation on many furbearers.

Kelley

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2014, 22:16 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Kelley it sounds like we are in for a treat on learning about desert trapping! Now we will expect you to post pictures if you get a bobcat on your finger like LONE GUNMAN did or maybe some great videos of cage trapping bobcats and grey fox like Tracy did. I'm still using the large butcher knife I got from you a few years ago. I am looking forward to this thread. :wink:

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2014, 21:12 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Ok, so there is a small thing that all desert predators need....something to eat. The problem I run into on this subject is that MY desert may not be your desert and the prey animals may or may not be the same in your desert. For this post, I will use the bobcat as my target animal, but will mention canines at the end of the post.
Here is a general statement on what bobcats eat from a website:
"Bobcats eat small mammals including woodchucks, mice, squirrels, racoons, and rabbits.
They also eat birds and reptiles."
In my desert they eat rodents, quail, chuckars, cottontail and jack rabbits, ground squirrels, insects, and reptiles. This is by no means a complete list, and to be honest for the most part, when I am trapping in the winter months reptiles and insects aren't too much on the bobcat menu, but, these are the prey animals I am looking for in good enough numbers to attract them into the areas I trap. How do I do this? I look for the areas that contain the elements these prey animals need to survive and prosper. WHAT? Now I've gone from looking for good bobcat areas to looking for good prey areas!! Of course they are the same areas, but I put this in here to get trappers into the mindset that just because you see 6 covey of quail in that valley in the spring or summer doesn't mean that they overwinter in that valley. Always have it in the back of your mind when scouting that seasons change and so can the animals using a particular habitat.
While on this topic of " seasons change", I would like to add that I have scouted a valley that has plenty of bobcat sign that I may never trap. I can get to it in the warm seasons, but it is above 7000 feet in elevation and the mining trail that leads to it is pretty much straight up on the mountain side and straight down on the valley side. No cell phone coverage and I trap alone. I will however trap the draw leading from this valley and the slope and flats below it knowing that as the snow gets deep in that valley the cats will move lower.
Now, I said I would mention canines in this post so here goes... Same principle, except that here, in my desert mesquite beans are a fall/winter staple in coyotes diets and knowing where the beans are abundant helps. For Grey Fox, I like areas that are frequented by campers as they get used to eating thrown out food, scraps and firepit leavings. If you have an area like this and can legally trap it after camping season, do so (and if you do, remember what the grey's have been eating all summer and bait accordingly).

Kelley

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2014, 21:54 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

OK, so I am having problems with every piece of electronic and computer equipment I own.
I have been out to an area twice trying to get some video for this post. Both times the cameras
have had problems, and then trying to download to photobucket has proven to be
problematic. Here is the setup- A valley with a mesquite thicket about 700 yards long by
about 50-75 yards wide. Mountains all around this valley and a dry lake bed to the east
of the mesquite thicket. Lots of rabbit, rodents and quail. Also this area is the only
area where I have seen Chukkars in Southern Nevada. I am going to try to add some visuals
to this post, but with my luck lately, it might not happen. Here is Google Earth of the thicket:

Here is a video from the trail cam as I set it up:

Now here is the, how do I say it, revealing, but not the best video of what I'm looking for:

The problems I have with trail cams is the wind, so I set the sensitivity really low and miss a lot of
what happens. The good thing is that in this small area, I know there is at least one cat.
The amazing thing is that this cat is hanging out in this small area with no water, but plenty of prey.
The other problem is that this area has a lot of traffic, Geocachers, partiers, people target
shooting, and just generally hanging out. When I set here it wil be an in and out set. I will
set on the first day and check/pull the second. If I did not connect, I will repeat at another time.
When setting for coyotes here years ago, I lost traps and do not want a repeat performance

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2014, 23:20 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

OK, so here I am trapping public land in an area that has a lot of traffic. How do I trap it?
Fast, Furious and traps out of there. I plan on setting and pulling the next day. How is that
possible? My plan is to set 4 traps using different baits/scents with the wind blowing towards
the cover and have 5-10 snares set downwind. This gives me the best chance at a first night
catch in this area. If I don't connect, I will repeat this tactic until I do. On valleys, draws and
fingers of cover, this method works well for me. If my target animal is downwind, it should
move upwind due to the smell. If it is upwind, it may or may not move downwind and either
get in one of my sets, or after checking out a set, walk into a snare. I think of this as funneling
my target animals. This is in a valley floor. Remember that in a change of elevation, the
wind will normally blow up in the morning as the ground heats up and down in the afternoon
as the ground cools. On a slope, one or more snares below and above your set(s) are
also "scented" by your set(s).

Kelley

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 21:32 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Hiding your catches/trapping activities on desert Public Land. Part 1
I have several reasons to hide what I am doing when trapping out here. Trap/catch
theft and Anti's being the main ones. Some of my methods are simple, but a
person still needs to think about it at every set. One thing is parking to check a set,
I used to park on the right side of the road, get out and go check an out of sight
trap. Some areas I trapped for grey fox had several trappers in the area and it
seemed we all did the same thing. ( Before continuing, I would like to say that to
my knowledge, I never lost a trap or catch to the trappers, and saw many trapped
fox that I left alone, but still lost traps and catches in this area). I started pulling
off to the left side of the road before or after my sets and near something hard-
rock or ground that wouldn't show prints easily so I could get out of my vehicle
without leaving prints easily seen from the road, if I need to cross the road,
I will walk up or down a ways and then walk across. Here in Nevada, we can't set
public land within 200 feet of a highway or "major" road. Major roads are
defined as roads that maintenance is regularly done on- generally non-paved
roads that get yearly or more grading done. Thinking that the 200 foot offset
will keep your catches out of sight of people is wrong. Spot/Jack lighting
is legal here in most places and a lot of trappers/hunters/callers are lighting
the desert for eyes. Do it myself while checking early in the morning. To
prevent losing/ having destroyed a trapped animal to a spot lighter, you have to
have a solid barrier between the road and the set. A trapped predator WILL
look at a spotlight, keep it out of sight of the road. Now let's get started with
marking where your sets are.
Flagging, and when I talk flagging, I mean flagging the side of the road or trail your set is of off.
When I lived near Searchlight, Nevada during
trapping season it looked like a major logging or mining site was being put
in in some places due to the construction flagging along the roads used to mark
trap sets. I have also seen it further north and have gotten out at a few flags
along roads after (some times months after) trapping season and found old set
locations. If you are going to mark your sets near the road, use natural things.
Rock piles, old trash (don't bring in new litter), or use a GPS to mark your sets.
I like GPS as it doesn't leave a trace, and remove your flagging/trash after the
season is over. If I can find old sets by seeing flagging, I could set in front/behind
your sets next year and ruin your season. Not that I would, but some will. Due
to the soil, or lack of it in my area, I like cable extensions for two reasons, they
let me tie off to something away from my trap bed and they allow a trapped
animal to get to whatever cover there may be. I think that an animal in cover will not
fight the trap as bad as an animal in the open and it saves the set a little better.
Also, if the animal hides itself from other people, all the better for me.
Part 2 coming, this one is getting long. Kelley

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 22:10 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Hiding your catches Part 2

The days of the week you have traps out matter on public land. On the weekends there
is a LOT of traffic out here. Quads, dirt bikes, 4x4s, you name it, they are out in the desert
playing. I like to set, check and pull my traps on weekdays, less eyes on me and what I am doing
Setting traps that you can check from the road without getting out of your vehicle also helps.
You do have to remember the out of sight of spot lighter rule. Use "tell-tells" to see if your trap
has anything in it. A tell-tell can be a stick that is tangled in the chain and falls when the trap is
moved out of it's bed or a rag tied to the cable extension, or any other visual that lets you
know something happened at your set. (Be advised that you should check with your local officer
as to what a "trap check" is, some require eyes on the set, not looking through an optical device
at a tell-tell from a distance). I prefer to walk my sets and am careful about leaving a trail of my
own making to them. I will take several different ways to within sight of a set but not up to a set
unless it has a catch.
Weather also matters, I like having traps in high traffic areas out during cold windy, overcast days
before or after a front comes through. This keeps most of the adventuresome people out of my way.
I could have started setting the 1st, but I didn't because I knew a front was coming through here that should bring rain and wind. The rain will slow down many from going to my trapping areas, but the wind would blow down my snares, so I held off until it calmed down a little. Weather matters.
My last advise is that you will lose catches and traps no matter what you do on public land.
Sometimes you could have made it harder on the thief and sometimes no matter what you did
you will still lose. Kelley

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2014, 06:23 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Still following Kelley so keep going. I am patiently waiting for more pics of sets,examples, and pretty western cats. :wink:

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2014, 08:32 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Amak wrote:
Still following Kelley so keep going. I am patiently waiting for more pics of sets,examples, and pretty western cats. :wink:

x2 :D

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2014, 22:41 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

OK, so today I am going with the bad weather setting of traps. I realize that rain or overcast is not bad weather to most of the trappers on WAT, but it is for the desert where I live as it slows the "other people" from being near my trap sets. Anyway I am going to set my traps on a Saturday and check/pull on Sunday. I am going to get video and pics of my sets and catches-lack of catches if the electronic gods of posting pics and videos are on my side. I also want to give an idea of where the traps and snares were set and why with Google Earth. I really would rather set traps on the weekdays and pull them on the weekends, but as with anything trapping, I do with what I have as far as threat of trap loss and catch loss as apposed to catches. I will use a few different sets and scents to try to get a cat into my traps and snares. Well, me and photobucket and videos were a bust. Can't load them so I wasted a lot of time today. I will go back to pictures on the line even though I believe videos are better. Set 3 duke #4 2 coil and 2 snares out today, will check and recover in the morning. I will take pics of anything that I catch and of the sets as I can't get vids to work any more. Guess i'm going to have to learn YOUTUBE.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2014, 15:07 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

KC,

Your advice of setting on sign is good, but don't pass up locations that should have target species, either hunting or traveling to and from. I'm talking travel/dispersion routes as animals are going into hunting areas or looking for territory to establish themselves. As you said, tracks can be hard to locate and scat can be new or old and all look the same. Some areas I never pass on are major saddles in long ridges, stock ponds, either wet or dry, and the trails coming and going. Two tracks running across seemingly featureless areas, but connecting two areas of structure for hunting or resting will pay off if the sets are there.

Also, your thoughts on learning from others is spot on. A person can learn something from anyone if the ears are open. You may not use something learned immediately, but you'll come across a situation where you might modify that lesson to work in your area. I also trap mostly public lands and understand the frustrations we all encounter. A lot of trappers have the same issues when having exclusive access to private land. Some folks think that they can trespass anywhere they like and anything they "FIND" must have been abandoned and is subject to the "finders keepers" mentality.

Keep this thread going. Much to be learned for all of us.

REM

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2014, 18:55 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Remrogers, that is what I did on Saturday, set where I knew a cat was traveling even though the "sign" was trail cam pics. 3 traps and 2 snares and no catches or evidence the sets where worked. That's 5 traps days with no catch. Pulled everything because the area can be too well traveled by others. 34 degrees, no wind and foggy last night. I'll set again soon. Kelley

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2014, 20:34 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Trying this to add videos to my posts. Photobucket kinda went south on me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAgfCQB ... wner-smbtn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt2QL3i ... e=youtu.be

Kelley

Last edited by kcmendy on 08 Dec 2014, 21:49, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2014, 21:42 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

kcmendy wrote:
Trying this to add videos to my posts. Photobucket kinda went south on me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAgfCQB ... wner-smbtn

Kelley

Kelly, the video nazi's won't let me play it. It says something to the effect of "If the owner of the video has given you permission to access this, please sign in."

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2014, 21:52 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Yeah, Amak, still trying to work the bugs out of Youtube, maybe I should start one on the campfire and figure it out before posting here.

Kelley

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2014, 07:23 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

I am enjoying your videos and desert trapping instuctions Kelley. The logo on your cap looks like the one I have from the now defunct Western Nevada Traps & Treasures that Lone Gun once ran.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2014, 19:15 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Swamp,
Same hat, getting a little worn nowadays. Usually wear a boonie, for the shade, but on overcast days it still goes on the line with me. Kelley

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2014, 13:10 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

No digging tools needed is so strange to me. It would also drive me bonkers not ever getting my trap solid. Id imagine after a while id get use to it but dang it would be troublesome to me for a while. Looks like prime cat habitat KC. Thanks for the vid.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2014, 20:59 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

So I guess I'm a wimp. Went up the slope to set traps on Saturday and found myself underdressed for said activity. Warm and no wind at home, 38 degrees and 10-15 mph winds up around 2-3000 feet higher. I didn't set and returned Sunday to lay my next line in. Started out at 28 degrees and warmed up to the mid 40's. Nice day on the line. Got several videos and will post as they (some time in the future) get loaded to U-tube. Seems that youtube is slower than photobucket, but with fewer error or dropped vids. Here is what I got from my Saturday wimpy "scouting " trip.

Saturday:

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=SpOkyfg2_T0

This goes under strange things you find in the desert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUOUWzl2FAs

I'll post some sets I made today (Sunday) tomorrow after they load. Kelley

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2014, 21:08 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Amak, I should clarify the no digging tools required. In SOME places they are not, also many of my traps are set exposed. My go to digging tools for setting in the other areas are a 3# sledge or an Army E-tool. I was hoping to post vids from today's sets, but it won.t happen, hopefully tomorrow.
And next time I set I'll make a video of actually digging and bedding a trap in my wonderful rocky soils.
Kelley

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2014, 23:24 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

kcmendy wrote:
So I guess I'm a wimp. Went up the slope to set traps on Saturday and found myself underdressed for said activity. Warm and no wind at home, 38 degrees and 10-15 mph winds up around 2-3000 feet higher. I didn't set and returned Sunday to lay my next line in. Started out at 28 degrees and warmed up to the mid 40's. Nice day on the line. Got several videos and will post as they (some time in the future) get loaded to U-tube. Seems that youtube is slower than photobucket, but with fewer error or dropped vids. Here is what I got from my Saturday wimpy "scouting " trip.

Saturday:

Kelly, that first link brought up my channel of my coondogs. How did that happen? :shock: Do you get the same thing or is it just a glich in my puter. The second link was good with your manikin vid. CSI Las Vegas, I got a laugh out of that one. :lol:

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 07:54 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Richard Murray wrote:
kcmendy wrote:

Saturday:

Kelly, that first link brought up my channel of my coondogs. How did that happen? :shock: Do you get the same thing or is it just a glich in my puter. The second link was good with your manikin vid. CSI Las Vegas, I got a laugh out of that one. :lol:

Same thing with me Richard...some of my trailcam videos. :shock:

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 09:10 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Swamp Rat wrote:
Richard Murray wrote:
kcmendy wrote:

Saturday:

Same thing with me Richard...some of my trailcam videos. :shock:

This is wierd. :shock: :?