Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 22:18

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2014, 18:52 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Great catch in the cage PC! Nice size sow for sure. 8)

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2014, 13:38 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

way to go on the cage catch PC

pepe lepue 3
greys 8
reds
coys3
Johnny sneekum hopefully
beaver 9
bobcat 7
otter 2

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2014, 19:32 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Good looking coon NPC

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2014, 08:16 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Nice! Great job. :)

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2014, 08:56 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I didn't do anything except climb into a barn loft and drop a cap into it. Well, then of course skin, flesh and put it up...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2014, 10:02 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Lol! Indeed! ..... I had to go back and re read the post. I thought when I first read it, that it was a team effort with you both setting a trap each of your own. Now I read it differently. Lol! Well, great shot placement then? Lol! :wink: Nice guy to give it to you though. Im sure you dont mind putting it up and in the bag with the rest. Seems your buddy may have a bit of trapper in him as well?

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2014, 11:58 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yeah, Ry's a hunter and wildlife lover but is probably too busy to do any trapping besides his one or two live cages in their barns. He works full time at my facility and then farms part-time with his dad. The main corn harvest and moving cattle around falls on the prime trapping times. Besides they have a local guy named "Squeaks" who traps over there so things like shooting a badger during deer slug season they'd go, "hey let's call Squeaks and see if he wants it". I think watching me pull that little female mink out of the creek a while back was probably the first time Ry's ever seen one in a trap. Anyway, our partnership of critters out of their barn has worked well the past couple of years. I think he has enough fur credit with me now that I can repay with a nice gift certificate for his wife and him to go out to one of the better eating places in Sioux Falls. I think I'll spring that on them after the first NAFA auction this coming year :)

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2014, 12:37 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Thats very thoughtful of you nonpc.

Cracks me up. Squeaks, Ry, stink bait...... what do they call you that you arent telling us about? Lol! :wink:

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2014, 15:17 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

The storyteller gets artistic license, no? :wink: Stinkbait and Squeaks are real nicknames although I call S.B. by his proper name now that I've spent a lot more time with him. "Ry" is just a shortened first name.

Back in early college when we lived in a dorm, I was a bit more "gamey" frequently occupying the "gut room" that was down in the basement where we used to clean game (don't know if that still exists in the dorm anymore or not) and the second year I didn't cut my hair or beard for 7 months (wonder why I didn't have many dates then???). Anyway, come spring some guys had gone fishing and decided let bullheads swim in our communal bathtub (no one used it anyway, we all just used the showers). I had nothing to do with the bullheads but sort of got blamed for it. One of the slicker ladies man supposedly walked into the bathroom, saw the fish swimming, and said, "pure R***** ****"". I guess my rep had proceeded me... :)

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2015, 08:54 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Here's a pix of some neat snow formations after our mini-blizzard last Thurs. How it carves the snow like this would be interesting to do a time lapse...

I went out to dig out 2 110s I had sitting covering a bank hole that we saw mink tracks head into on Ry's deep bank creek. I expect to dig through a bit of snow. Got there and there's probably 5 feet of snow covering those two traps right now. I wouldn't mind digging down if I knew exactly where the traps were but being off 10-20 feet in either direction is a lot of snow to move by hand.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2015, 09:16 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

We are way behind on snow fall this year. Not good. We really need the moisture. I'm with you PC, them coni's will have to sit for a while. If you have a garman you can mark them type of sets. Works really well for me for marking my trail sets\mafia out in the prairie. Sometimes have a hard time finding them when there is no snow, but when the snow comes then it gets really rough to find them. The garman pays off big time for me.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2015, 21:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

We're experiencing a January "thaw" starting yesterday with highs above freezing through at least Monday. I've had 4 dps out at Thor's farmstead since before Christmas that haven't produced anything so hoping something pops over the weekend. I got permission tonight to set his neighbor's home place with some other dps. I don't think anyone has hit this place for a number of years so hopeful there. This guy also has a good number of alfalfa fields with some terraces so maybe next year get my legholds out there for k-9s and diggers (and of course I'll take coon that wander through :) ).

I might also put out a couple of mink boxes on Thor's stock dam and along his drainage to see if I can grab another one before the season ends on Jan. 31.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2015, 00:06 
Trapper
Trapper

Good Catches there this year PC. I hope to find some land to trap for next year.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2015, 20:22 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

A fur mystery today. I got a call from Stinkbait this morning that he found 6 yotes in a road ditch not far from his place. They were all frozen and in a group. I told him to pick them up and we'll look them over. I got out to where he was doing some fireplace masonry on a new house towards evening after I had set some dps at a new place (an old granary and hay barn) nearby.

Not only did he have these 6 doggies in the back of his truck but a nice warm coon to boot. As he drove onto the pasture to go to the work site this morning there was a plumb coon a sitting. Too bad for mr. coon that Stinkbait had his Ruger .22 mag revolver along.

Anyway, I drove his truck to my house where I unoaded the critters. Most of the yotes looked beat up; one missing a back leg, some no lower jaws, fur ripped up, etc. I was trying to figure out what had happened to them. Obviously someone probably dumped them in the ditch but after a few varmint hunts or what but some had traumatic damage as well. Took S back his truck and he said some of the local heroes claim to run down yotes with snowmobiles so perhaps this is the cause for the demise of the doggies. Maybe these guys were even packing rifles as well (won't know until I thaw them and start skinning).

Sort of sick seeing a waste of nice fur but I'm going to try to salvage as much as possible; skulls, if those are busted up the remaining teeth, tanned head skins, tails, pieces of the main fur that still good to tan, whatever. maybe something of the resource can be saved for more than the momentary motorized blood lust of a few...

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2015, 21:44 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Good luck to ya. There is some good fur from what I can see. One mans garbage is another mans gold. You can make it work.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2015, 21:51 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Thats messed up nonpc. What goes through peoples heads? Good on you to make it as right as you personally can. Things like you doing this is why I have such high regaurd and respect for you. God bless you for this. I know he approves of what you are doing. :wink:

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2015, 13:53 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thanks for the kind words, Amak!! I'm finding out it takes a bit to thaw a yote with my little space heater even on days in the low 30s. Maybe by tonight one will be ready to go. AT least I don't have to worry about things going bad on me temps wise :wink: The first one I'm doing looks complete except one massive exit hole in the side. Its been a while since I've had to sew up massive bullet damage. I think trappintime is an expert and I might have to pick his brain a bit.

The warm spell treated me good this morning. Caught an ave. size cooner in the hay barn I set yesterday. Probably go 1-2 XL. Finally one the board as well at Thor's farmstead. Caught one in his open machine shed next to the cat food area. I had no idea that this stupid swivel chair was in reach of the chain. Its always amazing what they get tangled up with in junk-er-low organized areas...

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2015, 18:51 
Trapper
Trapper

Glad you are willing to try and salvage the yotes PC. I dont understand why people would do something like that. I hope you can do something with them even if they are beat up.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2015, 19:42 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Good job PC. Hope you make some good money for your effort. Glad to know I'm not the only one to pick up roadkill. 8) :lol: :lol:

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2015, 19:47 

So PC, let me get this straight, somebody dumped 6 coyotes in a ditch???????

If this is the case, way to go!!!!

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2015, 22:10 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yep.

I've also seen landowners in West River South Dakota and central Texas impale them on fence posts and let them rot away (have pixs of the Texas example at work). Obviously their hatred of the animal is worth more than what the fur is worth if taken during the winter...

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2015, 22:25 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

NonPCfed wrote:
Yep.

I've also seen landowners in West River South Dakota and central Texas impale them on fence posts and let them rot away (have pixs of the Texas example at work). Obviously their hatred of the animal is worth more than what the fur is worth if taken during the winter...

Happens here too PC, but I don't complain. I found a place several years ago where a guy dumped carcasses snared when the fur wasn't prime. I got a lot of jaws and made a lot of knives from them. 8)

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2015, 22:28 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

doc9013 wrote:
NonPCfed wrote:
Yep.

Happens here too PC, but I don't complain. I found a place several years ago where a guy dumped carcasses snared when the fur wasn't prime. I got a lot of jaws and made a lot of knives from them. 8)

NonPC, you are correct about the past practice of hanging yotes and other varmints on fence post in Texas. But I think the laws changed and are better enforced about "proper disposal of animal carcasses" now. I haven't seen any post hangers in years.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2015, 00:13 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

doc9013 wrote:
NonPCfed wrote:
Yep.

....And I just so happen to be one of the fortunate and lucky owners of one of them! Still awesome too! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2015, 14:06 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Great job PC and to what you are doing. Kudos to you! Nice coon catches too. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next