Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 06:53

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2014, 21:02 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thanks wolf!! He softened up enough with our thaw to probably skin out. I should go do that.

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2014, 18:35 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Wasn't feeling the best this morning, had church, and then it rained hard mid-morning so we didn't go out until the afternoon to check traps. Stinkbait had lots of energy and had borrowed a new toy (a skid loader with a strong bucket) and had cleared some brush around his place and then out at the other shelterbelt (which had been a cockleburr heaven). He had found a coon in one of the cubbies and brought it back with his truck, average sized one. We took that box back out to the shelterbelt and brought another (total of 3 across about a 1/8 mile of the strip. I asked him if he checed the lonely dp out there and he said no, so we found a juvie in that one. If it doesn't stretch 1X, I'll tan it and make it a hat for stinkbait.

Nothing else in my other places, although I finally managed to get the thawed stinker out of that 220 and got that bucket back in operation. I set a few snares yesterday afternoon and was anxious to see if anything had happened. I had a double snare set on a small water way that had a good number of yote prints yesterday crossing through. The most prints was a simple crawl under of b. wire next to a clump of grasses and the other was in the drainage itself and was a bit taller (used a pig tail #9 wire to hold the loop up and put some handful of grass on either side. We checked this last this afternoon.

I'm no means an accomplished snareman but I thought this set up was ok. It had a shared "kill stake" away from the fence formed by 2 rebar stakes driven in against each other about 10 inches off the ground and in a X shape. When we get there both snares are down and not much of a sign of struggle. There are 2-3 tufts of yote hair on the lowest b. wire of above the drainage area snare but that one is laying there basically closed off (down to about a 2-3 inch loop). The end of the other snare I couldn't find for a while and then see it laying across the 2nd b. wire strand of the fence, kinked up enough at the end so a flat loop can't be made anymore but no chewing through of the cable. There didn't seem to be any fresh vehicle although a 4-wheeler could have run on the strip of grass on the other side of the fence without leaving prints and then if it happened earlier in the morning, the rain might have washed any fresh sign away (its the 2nd day of of deer gun season and people are about).

So, I don't know if I had barely had this critter in the snare and it managed to pull out of it (like a single shoulder or upper leg catch) or if I had one wrapped up nicely or quietly waiting and someone helped themselves (no one can see this area unless its from a long, long way). All I know is my vexation with coyotes continues :(

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2014, 18:56 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Keep at it R. You will get him in time. I'm rootin for ya and my money is on you! :wink:

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2014, 21:18 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Don't give up, cause that's when failing comes easy. Your on the right track. Keep going.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2014, 22:16 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nice catches, congrats. On the snares I would guess you got it by a leg, likely lower on the leg and in fighting it for a bit, slipped out.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2014, 12:45 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

As some of you know, "Thor" is one of my landowners that I trap his land. He is an organic operation and not highly capitalized. He has no land that he rents because he's on the family's original and expanded farmstead and none of his machinery is probably newer than 25 years old. He doesn't plant hybrid corn so can keep and grow next year's crop from his own seed source if he chooses. He usually gets his corn in later than most other guys so then harvests it later as well (sometimes the next spring). When the boys and I checked my coyote snare down the fenceline of the edge of one of this year's corn fields Tues. night after work, he was out combining (you could hear him more than see his lights).

This morning when I started walking down the field, I saw the combine at sort of an unusual parking angle but didn't think much more about it. Was going to take a pix anyway because a person doesn't often see a Deere corn head on a HI-Case machine but as I got closer, I saw the major "oops" that had happened to the machine. Probably no more combining of his corn for a while. Don't know if they can replace the busted axle (that's what it looks like) in the field or will they have to somehow tow it home and work on it there. Anyway which way, its a bummer...

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2014, 15:35 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Very good on the coons. Id bet the one will just hit XL. Looking great nonpc.

Bummer on the machine. Has to stink for him.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2014, 16:02 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Nice job PC!! I pity whoever has to fix that one :lol: Fixing a truck axle is bad enough let alone a combine!!

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2014, 00:27 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

The cold can be a pain but it can also be forgiving to a tired old lard butt like me that can't get things done in anything but hare speed. Caught up skinning everything but a small one that will probably end up being Stinkbait's hat coon skin. Tonight and tomorrow night the best chances for the coon to run again until probably close to next weekend. I will be deer hunting next weekend and hope to have a bunch to cut up the following week so I think phase 1 of the season will be done next Friday. For as disorganized as I was going into the season, I'm pretty pleased. If I could ever get it totally together who knows :--o !

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2014, 20:33 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Found this frozen stink-iscle up in Ry's pasture this morning. How it managed to crawl nearly half way through my 160, I don't have a clue. Got it out of the trap but it will probably be a while before it thaws enough to skin. It was over 50 F today, tomorrow the high is supposed to be 15...

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2014, 08:58 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

......and people think 160's are too small for coons! I distinctly remember when i switched from what few 220's I had to an arsenal of 160's. Originally i did it to keep dogs out of them being more comfortable with the smaller size for that reason,,,,,,but i still had a creeping lil thought in the back of my mind they may be too small for coon too. So like a fool, I slid the triggers over to within a half inch of being maxed out on the edge and kept them together and straight down. That next morning after a few checks I had to re work every one of them because i was catching good sized coon WAY too far back. In one case the jaws were on the coons thigh area and it's ankle's by the back feet where the almost 20lb coon just barely didnt make it all the way through. From then on I knew them 160's are all the trap a guy needs for coon. Even the jumbo's take it right behind the ears where you want it.

One thing a guy can tinker with in the off season, is taking a round rat-tail file to the dog notches and make them deeper.That makes the trigger wires to travel less distance before the trap fires.. However i would judge the need from where the target species is being hit most consistently. Just file a little and check it often and "slip up"on perfect making sure not to go to far into the dog.

So..... considering that even with triggers set right for coon,, having skunk get through them to a degree with their tiny heads and front shoulders is gonna happen at times. Did he spray?

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2014, 09:13 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

You did well on phase one of your plans. So now phase 2 what does that involve?

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2014, 12:02 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Hopefully pick up a bit more fur still this week. After getting through today and tomorrow, the rest of the week is supposed to be around or slightly above freezing for highs.

Phase 2 will be putting out dps at Thor's and maybe another guy's farm place and have them tell me when we get a catch during a warm spell. This will save me time & gas money running up before work to places I can stop by on the way to work, during lunch if needed (dispatched 1 coon last year during lunch), or stop by on the way home. I hate rolling into a person's place at 5 Am and getting dogs and such relied up when people might still be sleeping.

I will also try to get more snares out at least through Dec. that the landowners can also visually check more frequently than I can walking down fencelines. They'll get a cut of my fur check. And will also have a couple of coon cubbies (and snares) active at by bro's place.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2014, 12:19 

Looks like you are keeping yourself busy in the shed PC. Keep the steel out there, we have the right kind of year to keep picking up fur. You know around the upper Midwest that when the snows decide to come, everything changes. Keep slingin'!!

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 00:37 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I got humbled by a big old boar coon the past week. First, when I was skinning him out, the limbs were thawed enough to work but the head & neck area were still semi-frozen. Ended up making about 3 sizable cuts right before the head. Tonight, fleshing him out, I hadn't brushed/inspected enough to find all the burs (even though he came out of "burwood forest") and ended up making 2 more cuts with the Necker. Greasy, grisly old pig!! Now I'm hoping for a SDB grade maybe. I guess if a guy is going to FUBR a big prime coon, let it be a #5 color and have a conibar burn across the back of the neck :--o :wink:

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 01:48 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Ouch, that happens PC. Least your catching fur. Any chance of sewing the holes and selling to a country buyer? The postage may be more then hes worth. We've put the better ones up and so far what im hearing is pretty cheap offers. I may of asked before but what kind of DP's are you using? I like my bandit busters but theyre push trigger only. I keep hearin how awesome the push /pull ones are?

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 09:09 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

NonPCfed wrote:
I got humbled by a big old boar coon the past week. First, when I was skinning him out, the limbs were thawed enough to work but the head & neck area were still semi-frozen. Ended up making about 3 sizable cuts right before the head. Tonight, fleshing him out, I hadn't brushed/inspected enough to find all the burs (even though he came out of "burwood forest") and ended up making 2 more cuts with the Necker. Greasy, grisly old pig!! Now I'm hoping for a SDB grade maybe. I guess if a guy is going to FUBR a big prime coon, let it be a #5 color and have a conibar burn across the back of the neck :--o :wink:

I did that to one of amaks coons few years back. Before he could say a word I just stated a couple extra vent holes to help in the drying process :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 19:48 

Great pics as usual PC. I'm surprised you got the stinker in the cold weather as of late.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 20:33 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

wolf1199 wrote:
NonPCfed wrote:

I did that to one of amaks coons few years back. Before he could say a word I just stated a couple extra vent holes to help in the drying process :mrgreen:

This is true, he did do it and say it! Funny stuff there! I also put a small hole in the one I done that day no sooner then I got started up by the head on the back of neck. Swamprat had to show off and did his PERFECTLY....which we heard about for the next six months! Lol! All good fun!

Nonpc, its always them big old heavy coons that will get you. In the past I could roll through coon after coon of average size with no probs, then butcher up a tough old boar pelt. I learned to slow way down and take my time on them big old heavy money coons. I can make up some time on smaller less gristled up coons with less value. Its really worth it to go slow on them, because so often they have scars that are so easy to get a cut going on. Older coon naturally have had more injuries. I go really easy around them scars.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2014, 18:26 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I thought I was going to get through the season without catching a grinner but resuffling and adding some coon boxes out at Stinkbait's territory resulted in 2 possums today about 60 yards apart.

The first one I left with him to play a joke on his gf (he hung it head down from a branch outside their house). The second one was a bigger boar (the one on the log) and I thought I should put it up, although would it still be considered a "black" possum or an "ordinary color"ed one??

We still have a couple of dps out on the land he has permission for and this one near the base of a couple large cottonwoods on the south edge of the "big" shelterbelt finally produced, about a 15-16 pound sow.

I got "Stinkbait" and "Sammy" to pose with the fur in hand! Another one to send to NAFA in the 2nd pick-up in mid-January.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2014, 18:34 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

That's a nice catch PC! Also a nice silver possum. Worth putting up. 8)

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2014, 19:16 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Nice looking coon and possum. Possum not a black and is actually a quite nice OC. I think the sow coon was very nice too with good color and looks heavy furred. Nice catches for sure, good job. I also dig stinkbaits NATGEAR sweater.....totally cool camo!

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2014, 19:24 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Excellent catches PC. That silver grinner looks to be good sized. I got $10 for one like it a couple years ago. They are tough and that gristle is like iron, but a good fleshing knife will do wonders.

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2014, 18:09 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

My friend Ry put his and my live traps up in his family's farm's barn yesterday. He checked after work and had this nice sow coon in it. She's bigger than the pix shows, going 21 lbs. on my cheap scale and will go 3XL-4XL. A Christmas Eve present to me!!

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2014, 18:20 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Good looking coon NPC. I'll maybe get ahold of 1 sooner or later. Gotta set before I can connect though. :P

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next