Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 11:19

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2014, 09:19 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

-2 F but no wind when I got up to Thor's north parcel this morning. There's an old falling down farm house and a patch of trees in 80 acres there and I have some coon cubbies set. I found this in the memorial "Red Rooster #1" 220 cat litter plastic box set (the only plastic "bucket' type I still have in operation). It had sprayed a bit so I didn't want to deal with such issues this morning so will recover it sometime this weekend (it may not get skinned for a while in this cold spell).

Got down to Stinkbait's and found this juvie waiting for me. Stinkbait has some NA holy man friend of his and this guy has some German NA culture groupie staying with him that wanted to do the whole critter thing of dispatch, skinning, and eating a coon. Called Stinkbait and told him of this opporunity and took off for home but about 5 minutes later he called back the German gal chickened out and s aid she had too much stuff to do before going home so I reversed course and went back to finish the job. Only about a 9 pound coon, hopefully will go 1 XL on the board. Stinkbait is all excited to set in a patch of planted woods about 250 meters behind his place. He cuts wood out of there and coon sign is everywhere. He thinks we'll get "20 out of there". I think that's a bit too optimistic. We'll set this evening and see...

Now it's off to work I go :)

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2014, 09:52 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Looking good NonPC

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2014, 14:22 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Looks like your doin good PC. Pretty coon. Amazing how some want to do this or that but when it cinema diwn to gettin a little dirty they chicken out. Keep up the good work. Gotta love coni cubbies. Oh, by the way are you using 220's? That stinker is filling it up pretty good.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2014, 19:38 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Back- That is a 220 but most of my coon cubbies are armed with 160s. A bit cheaper and easier to handle trap (imo) and does the job putting the lights out on a coon.

I also have a handful of dps going out at my bro's and 1 coon cubbie down at the corner of his property that separates out his former small pasture and a grassy-sloughy area and a much larger pasture and grassy-sloughy area on the other side. I've had a box at this corner for the past 3 seasons. The dps up closer to the house have produced nothing but the cubbie has taken 2 of my "favorite" "others" (some of you know what those are from the past). I'll leave it at that but let's say that there might be more ground nesting birds around the bro's place next year...

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2014, 21:06 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Your on a role PC, keep at it.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2014, 20:37 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Well, nothing out of Stinkbait's coon Club Med today. Not surprising with the snow we gotten but last night started off clear. Hopefully something after the weather breaks to justify the walk out to that back shelterbelt.

I was pleasantly surprised to get a mrat out of what I thought was a pretty marginal set up along my friend Ry's creek in his pasture. I had set a 110 above the creek on a clump of higher bank that had slumped down to the water's edge. There was an opening through the grass on this clump and I placed some sweet smelling coon lure behind the trap. The way the rat is caught, I wonder if it didn't come behind, go through the lure, and then dive through the trap on the way back to the water. However it got into the trap, I'll take it :) >

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2014, 21:00 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Looks like you guys got some of that white stuff recently too :?

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2014, 00:50 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

The weather around here is going to suck the next couple of days. We got about 6 inches of snow today but tomorrow its supposed to blow so then things will drift up. Cold tomorrow night and Monday. I'm not going to find much in my sets if I can even find them all. The bright spot is that's supposed to be above freezing my next weekend :)

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2014, 08:12 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Supposed to be 9 degrees on Wednesday here, should get rid of that white stuff in a hurry. I already couldn't find one trap :/ been cleaning any skulls up off those coons?

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2014, 08:32 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nice looking rat. Guess we can call that a winter rat eh being snow and all. You got more snow then us right now. Good luck locating your traps.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2014, 11:31 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Congrats on the catches nonPC, nice job on the fleshing as well. Keep it up!

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2014, 19:20 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Got off of work early and went over to my friend's Ry's pasture to check on the 2 110 water sets I had there. I was there on Sunday afternoon and lots of mink tracks running all over the creek area. Thought we found a decent hole that had tracks coming in and out of it so propped up a 110 there. Another place the creek narrows down so its channel is only about 18 inches wide. Used a stick through the end of the spring to dangle the trap down about 3/4th in the water. Had to reposition my drag 2x2 to the other side so the trap hung 90 degrees to the channel. Thought that would be a mrat place and the other a mink.

It had drifted a bit over the past 2 days so had to dig through the snow and bust a little ice to remove the channel set. Saw fur and thought rat. Was surprised to see a little mink! Pulled the sets because its supposed to drift bad tomorrow. Will go after more critters in the creek come this weekend. Hopefully the coon will run as well as it will get above freezing!

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2014, 19:44 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Good deal on the mink NonPC.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2014, 20:12 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Too sweet! Them lil creeks can really suprise a guy sometimes. Great job R!

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2014, 20:40 
Trapper
Trapper

Nice mink, can't wait to after them myself!!!

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2014, 21:15 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Good job PC !

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2014, 08:24 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

That's a nice little mink R! Hopefully you will get more. Congrats! 8)

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2014, 21:28 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Congrats on your mink. Always nice expecting one critter and finding something different

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2014, 08:24 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Around 0 F out at Stinkbait's today but no wind. I walked out to the big shelterbelt 300 meters behind his place and found this frozen fur ball. About a 18 pounder. Got re-educated on what "dead weight" means walking back the quarter mile or so to the car. Its supposed to warm up this weekend (East River deer season also starts) so my kiddie sled will be going out there with me in case we get more than one at a time from this place.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2014, 11:13 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Nice catch in such a colder period. I hate carrying out and esp more then one. Once the excitment of a double or more is over and the carrying begins coming up out of creek edges.....well you get the picture. I couldnt do it if it wernt for very short walks and/or a deep packbasket. Hard on us aged fellows!

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2014, 14:05 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nice catches PC, love the mink story. Those blind/barricade sets can be real fur producers. Just like a "bottleneck" or "funnel" in deer hunting. Here i/we set several in a row with 110's and 220's like that. I usually take the spring off one side of the 220. If theres beaver sign( or otter now) I'll set 330's like that. Rats and mink do swim thru the 330's on occasion i believe but im not sold on the 280'a for beaver here. Your doing great. Considering the weather your hittin grand slams.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2014, 20:55 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I don't know about hitting grand slams but I'm having fun and getting some satisfaction :)

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2014, 23:35 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Mild night tonight and small moon. Hope the coons run hard. Probably 2 more mild nights before the cold returns on Monday. Will try to set some snares tomorrow. Sure would love to snag a reddie or a yote this year. Forecast high for Thanksgiving is 12 F. Winter looks like its here to stay...

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2014, 13:11 

Great under ice mink pic PC! Our mink and muskrat season started today and the bottom edge sets were a no-go since everything is frozen already...... :roll:

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2014, 19:14 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Doing good PC. I think that has to be one of the nicest pics I have seen catching coon in the snow :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next