Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 24 Oct 2017, 02:56

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fur Market Report
PostPosted: 23 Oct 2014, 16:36 

I decided to start a new thread. As trapping season begins across the US and Canada, let everyone know what your average whether you take you fur to a local buyer or one of the big auction houses. It would be interesting to see what pelts are fetching across North America.

Post subject: Re: Fur Market Report
PostPosted: 23 Oct 2014, 22:32 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yes Rick that would be interesting to see, I'm game for it.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2014, 18:45 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I'm in.

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2014, 10:13 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

The 8th grader and me went up to the country buyer where I used to sell wholesale to and still buy some supplies. I was picking up some re-rod stakes and the sipping on those would at least be as much as my gas driving up and there back and maybe the kid and I could get in some hunting on the way home.

"Pete" was putting up some beavs that he had in the freezer from last spring. He said he was losing $2 a piece on them even though he had bought them "cheap". Just getting them out of the freezer to make room for newer stuff.

We talked a lot about the coon market. He wasn't going to buy any until Nov. 10 and would probably start at a $10 base (whole) with aves. in the $5-7 range. He told me that last year it was crazy early on as a number of traveling fur buyers who had done so well in 2012/13 believed the good times would continue and came in bought early and bought high. Cases where a trapper would line a pile of coons up and these traveling guys would "nose count" them and pay $20 even $25 across the line. He said he tried to keep up for a while by staying close but after 2-3 weeks saw that it was unsustainable high and went back to where he thought he could make a profit. He bought very little fur after Christmas.

For most of the traveling buyers the ship rolled over in 2014 and he's "heard" of guys who lost tens of thousands $$ in single days at the auctions when coon did sell. A number of these guys went belly up financially and are out of the business. Their "suppliers" still think its whoop-em up times and Pete has had numerous calls of guys with freezers full of coon already who want him to buy them. No way he tells them. Those guys might be bumming this year when no one buys their critters or only offers a few bucks or at least a lot less than last year for them. Maybe those guys will get frustrated and quit trapping. I wouldn't shed any tears for them. Less competition for the "steady eddys" who use some common sense...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2014, 17:15 

You're absolutely right Roger. There were country buyers last year in my area dishing out $20.00 bills for unskinned early coon last November. Those poor guys got slaughtered come auction time. I guy I know called one of the local buyers to see what coon in the round will go for with the start of trapping this weekend. The buyer said he would not take a coon caught before November 10th and he was not taking any small coons at all this year.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2014, 03:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Ive talked to a few of our country buyers. Even though i dont think we'll have a lot if fur i was just curious. Tops of carcass coon,$5-$6, skinned tops of $7-$8, no kits or smalls or early blues or yellows, they wont even guess on rats and mink. Only buying S&D possums topping at $2. Said too early to guess at reds, greys and yotes but $5 tops for carcass fox and they really dont want to buy any yet, yotes only good colors and size, no flats, $1 carcass, $2 skinned , $5 S&D. 'Rats should stay up nicely. We still dont have many around here.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2014, 19:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Backwoodsman!!! You are still among us :) Some of us after April thought maybe you slipped down a bank of the Illinois or Sangamon River never to be seen again! Good thing that didn't happen.

Unless you guys have really crappy reddies, I think your country buyers are stiffing guys a bit with only offering $5 on a fox. NAFA is predicting good ones will be in demand. I know you have said in nthe past that your area of IL doesn't have good yotes but if I was an upland trapper there, I learn how to tan them and also clean the skulls up nice. Done right, those two products are worth a lot more than what the buyers are willing to offer...

Here's a news release from NAFA from October. I don't know how many on WAT have seen it:

http://www.nafa.ca/wp-content/uploads/2 ... 0-v1-2.pdf

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2014, 01:42 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Hello PC. I spent a lot of time along the Sangamon. Stayed out of it though lol. Back in the 90's we made good money cleaning skulls and sending them west. Several were buying them out there at a decent price for crafting and "authentic American Indian artifacts". I forget what the prices were exactly but it was around $4-$8 for coon, fox n yote were about $10? Yeah our yotes are pretty much flat and colorless. On occasion theres a nice one or one with wolf genes but few and far between for those. Possums/grinners moved last night so I'll give ya the skinny on them later on lol. Might be able to buy a soda with those returns..

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2014, 17:54 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I just spent a few minutes over on Trapperman. Reading a fairly active thread reminds me why I don't go there often. Not quite as crazy profane and nasty like reading the comments on "controversial" Youtube vids but a lot of folks who don't know when to put a filter on the thought process. Just my opinion, but I think getting to the knowledge base and/or neat stories on WAT is a lot faster than wading through the x percentage of just various forms of BS on a Trapperman thread. A lot less pictures as well. Some entertainment value I guess...

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthre ... oeny_today.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2014, 05:06 

I have this same post on the Hunting PA web site. One guy reported turning in 2 raccoon in the round to his local fur buyer and getting $3.00.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2014, 01:07 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I found this report out of Wisconsin actually fairly encouraging. Not a total bloodbath on this guy's mink as has been predicted (??).

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthre ... /4742271/1

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2014, 13:26 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Buddy had a local country buyer come by and sold some of his catch already. Out of 17 coons the buyer only wanted 5. Told him if he put a few of the others up(larges) he'd buy those later. The 5 were big i guess? $3.50 for 3 and the 2 biggest went $4.50. He just skins em and freezes them. 11 S&D Rats all nice no kits etc $5-$6.25. Wouldnt buy any grinners green, if S&D he'd only buy Larges and up.75-2.25. Mike usually catches about 5 or 6 mink a year and the buyer told him tops are about $14 S&D with sows bringing about $7 tops. Big change in 12 months but it happens. Ive trapped and sold for less believe it or not.