Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 11:09

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2014, 12:38 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Had a nice little selection today in my opinion. Went to pull my beaver sets since they weren't getting any action, and was going to come back and try again under ice. First set of traps was for muskrats and caught a small muskrat. Figured that would be all I'd catch. Went to the next trap, and had this beauty

I'm having trouble getting this picture to upload. I clicked resize, set the width to 790, and it still says it has to be under 800 pixels wide. Anyone able to help?

This was the trap I had the muskrat eaten out of. I had stuck the eaten muskrat back under the culvert, and put the trap back into the trail. Waited through a week of nothing then picked him up today. I had a 220 there in case a coon lumbered through the trail, so it really wallopped the mink.

Finally, got to my beaver traps, and started pulling them. Second trap, seen a tail floating in the water :--D Pulled out this fella. Average size eh?

BIG thank you to Wolf for your tips on trapping this trap shy fella. I talked to the trapper who caught the other beaver in the summer, said it took three weeks to catch the first one! That was about how long I was after this one

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2014, 13:23 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nice!! Those mrats on the freezer sure look black. I bet you have some real nice dark chocolate brown ones when they dry off :)

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2014, 22:06 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

congrats on the catches LHB AND THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH TAKING HER WITH YOU she will learn some and pretty soon be trapping right with you hope your season keeps getting better and better

pepe lepue 3
greys 8
reds
coys3
Johnny sneekum hopefully
beaver 9
bobcat 7
otter 2

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2014, 22:58 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Congrats LHB on catching the beaver :D What kind of set did you finally catch him in. You also got some nice looking rats there. Anyway LHB you made me proud by catching that beaver and looking forward to more catch pics even if the girl friends catches a few :P

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2014, 06:46 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I caught him In his trail where he was coming up out of the water to feed. Triggers on the bottom with a clear opening on top, left him be for ththree days, not sure if the extra day of me not poking around helped. Whenever I was there he would come out and slap the a water. He also started a new trail by his house to go around my trap

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2014, 19:59 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Good deal LHB! Proud of you.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2014, 04:40 

Looking good LHB, keep on catching!

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2014, 15:08 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thanks guys!

Think rat trapping is about winding down for me. Caught one more today, and plan to pull the traps next time I can get out. I think I have around 20, my goal was 20, so I'm hoping I got it! I kinda lost track, just been skinning what I can and putting the rest in the freezer.

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2014, 18:42 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Your kicking some booty LHB! Keep on stacking up the fur. Congrats young man! 8)

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2014, 20:52 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I hope you met your mrat goal!

Would be nice to get you out on the prairie when there's lots of rats like some of Westside's adventures. I've done nothing like that but did take 46 off of a 3+ acre slough four years ago with about 2 dozen sets. My best day was an even dozen. I wonder when the conditions around here will get to that point again???

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2014, 20:55 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

NonPCfed wrote:
I hope you met your mrat goal!

Would be nice to get you out on the prairie when there's lots of rats like some of Westside's adventures. I've done nothing like that but did take 46 off of a 3+ acre slough four years ago with about 2 dozen sets. My best day was an even dozen. I wonder when the conditions around here will get to that point again???

Sounds like a blast! The rat population here is decent, but theres also a decent amount of trappers around. Know I try and just get ponds on property where no one else is allowed to be, and the owners make sure of it. My best in one day was 5 in 5 cages

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2014, 06:36 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Picked up a couple more rats this week, and pulled my traps at the bigger pond, still trapping the small one close to my house. I don't think theres any rats left there, but my Uncle wants them all gone so I'm just gonna leave them for a while since it only takes me 20 minutes to go and check them. I also got a coyote yesterday, it was given to me by some deer hunters

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2014, 21:30 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Well I got my final rat tally tonight. 21, with one of them being a donation, I just squeaked out my goal of 20

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2014, 21:52 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Congrat on meeting your goal LHB! Squeaking by or not, does not matter, you made it and that is what counts. Way to go man! 8)

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2014, 23:51 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Good for you meeting your goal of 20 rats. Keep at it bud.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2014, 21:31 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Haven't had any action except a lil mouse in my weasel box. Did end up with a weasel though. My Grandfather raises chickens, and a weasel got in and killed some chickens, so he caught it in a live trap and brought it to me. So I shot him with a pellet gun, so shouldn't be too much damage to the fur.

I'm getting a few sets planned out, on Wednesday, I'm going out to set some squirrel traps and a couple coyote snares. It was like a coyote and crow highway around my bait site! Hopefully I'll pick up my first coyote this year

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2014, 12:14 

Congrats on meeting your goal LHB! Have you thought about going after them through the ice? I would trap them longer as our season goes through Feb and we have no spring rat season, but our ice gets so thick it is too much work.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2014, 12:20 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I might have a couple spots to stick some cages, but its harder now with snow on the roads because I can't take my scooter, and I have basketball which takes up a lot of my time

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2014, 07:39 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I've been busy with basketball and haven't had time to post my catch pictures. I have a basketball tournament this weekend, so my goal is to put the pics on sometime this weekend. Just wanted to give an update in case anyone was wondering why my thread was empty :wink:

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2014, 16:42 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Have a few hours till my next game, so heres some pics.

First time getting one of these buggers in a conibear. Its a welcome thing to me, I'd rather have him dead, than jumping around a cage, those are no fun :evil:

Then of course I needed one of these to clog up my squirrel set :|

I managed to get this little dink, he came into my bait station, and I had a cubby quite close by, and he went in after the muskrat, even though there was beaver coyote and muskrat at the station. I'll take it!

Same day I caught the first coon, I picked up this one, making it my first double on coons! Although it was a pretty crappy coon to be honest. Some how, he survived the conibear (Not sure how, looks like a solid catch on the neck to me) Then snapped the chain off the trap, and ran with the trap. Luckily it was recovered not too far away.

This picture may be kind of hard to tell what I'm talking about, but this is in a pond, is this a muskrats bubble trail or something else?

Lastly thought I'd share another pic of my occasional trapping partner. Still got over two months left to do some trapping, hoping to pick up a coyote and a few weasel

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2014, 18:10 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Your doing good LHB, don't you just love those flying squirrels :mrgreen: Great pics and keep at it.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2014, 19:16 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Thx for posting the pics LHB. Is that a HUGE COON or a SMALL FREEZER? :shock:

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2014, 22:02 

You're busy! Kinda hard to tell from the pic, but those actually look like fox or cat tracks as opposed to bubbles. I assume you are talking about the dark circles in the middle of the pic.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2014, 23:22 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

That's a really small freezer lol. That coon was a dink.

Al, there was no snow or anything, the ice was frozen and it was a white color

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2014, 03:04 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nice catches and pics, congrats for both and also reaching your goal. Trappings a lot funner with a good partner.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next