Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 24 Oct 2017, 04:42

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2014, 18:46 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Time to start this seasons journal. Bit of a twist this year, I will be posting pics from my son David ( brush wolf ) and myself as we progress into the season. David was out at camp this weekend for the start of the moose hunt and to do some beaver trapping. They got no moose as the weather warmed up and they were not moving. He did bring back 11 beaver. 9 whole and 2 rough skinned. My plans to head out tomorrow will be delayed for one day until I get them done up.

the 2 rough skinned beaver.

Seems I have to get busy before he beats me in numbers.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2014, 19:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I see you taught him very well. That apple fell directly under the tree.lol. I bet that makes you very proud Wolf. Looks like you may have your hands full keeping up. Job well done as usual. :wink:

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2014, 21:44 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

DANG! David aka Brush Wolf, came down on those beaver like a hammer! :shock: It has to be nice to have an Old Man who just happens to love to skin, flesh and put up beaver. :roll: :lol: I do hope you keep a journal going and share it with us on WAT.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2014, 18:02 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Man I look forward to this thread every season without fail! Can't wait to see some marten dangling from the trees, and some wolves caught in snares! Good luck

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2014, 11:18 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I have been busy getting the beavers done and have only picked up one more myself from my friends place. The kids brought in 3 more last night and one rat which I will soon head out to skin. The boys lost a wounded moose yesterday ( Brad ) , hopefully they can find it today.

the middle on was very big so I put him on the scale

just about 58 pounds

Dave fleshing while I put on the boards.

And for a nice surprise we had a lynx given to us. Farmer had trapped it because it was killing his chickens and ducks. There are more out there he said and wants me to catch them. Yes I said as soon as the season opens in 8 days.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2014, 13:29 

Your season is off to a roaring start Wolves! Trapping in packs is always better :--D Thanks for sharing the pics 8)

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2014, 16:13 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Man that is a production line in the ol' fur shed! Is it true David is going to get the fur checks and you are getting the checks for the beaver tails? :roll:

Having someone give you a lynx and then ask you to trap more of them is about as good as it gets.

Keep the pictures coming, I enjoy all of them!

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2014, 21:47 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

TrapperAL wrote:
Your season is off to a roaring start Wolves! Trapping in packs is always better :--D Thanks for sharing the pics 8)

Took me a minute or two for it to sink in what you said ( wolves ) but I got it. If I'm 10 years younger then Swamp and already having these problems, I can't imagine what he's going through :mrgreen:

Swamp Rat wrote:
Man that is a production line in the ol' fur shed! Is it true David is going to get the fur checks and you are getting the checks for the beaver tails? :roll:

Having someone give you a lynx and then ask you to trap more of them is about as good as it gets.

Keep the pictures coming, I enjoy all of them!

From what I been told it will be a privilege to handle his fur and there is no need for anymore compensation, but little does he know there is a fur shed rental bill :--o

I forgot one picture and it was special for happy

Yes it's on wire, but I used a wooden stretcher to flesh it :P

Dave dropped off another beaver tonight before heading out to the line with Bobby and the new puppy.

Guess I can deal with one more :o

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2014, 19:10 

wolf1199 wrote:
TrapperAL wrote:

Took me a minute or two for it to sink in what you said ( wolves ) but I got it. If I'm 10 years younger then Swamp and already having these problems, I can't imagine what he's going through :mrgreen:

I shudder at the thought :shock:

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2014, 23:35 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

This is what I got today doing my charity work for land owners. One beaver

the one on the right is mine, the one on the left is part of the 4 that David brought in tonight.

the other 3

another one on the board today

some beaver hanging to dry

some beaver off the boards, this is the start of Dave's pile and mine are over on the freezer. And you guys thought I was dogging it while the boys were out trapping. Anyway we are at 33 and I will start tomorrow to go for beaver on the other lines.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2014, 05:42 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Looking good WOLF. It won't be long until that fur shed is piled high with all that good fur you have access to!

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2014, 06:57 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

WoW!!! I'd love to see a video of wolf doing the nailing of those plews to the boards. I bet we'd all be amazed how fast and accurate those nails go in!!

P.S. Did you snipe that one that was bleeding out of the head? I've always heard that shot beavs will sink out in the water...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2014, 20:59 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Really nice going guys!

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2014, 18:02 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

wolf1199 wrote:
From what I been told it will be a privilege to handle his fur and there is no need for anymore compensation, but little does he know there is a fur shed rental bill

Yes it's on wire, but I used a wooden stretcher to flesh it

My jaw just about dropped when I saw that picture! Dropping your standards up there? :mrgreen:

BAIT? URINE? LURE? DON'T NEED IT WHEN I'M USING MB'S!

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2014, 19:00 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

NonPCfed wrote:
WoW!!! I'd love to see a video of wolf doing the nailing of those plews to the boards. I bet we'd all be amazed how fast and accurate those nails go in!!

P.S. Did you snipe that one that was bleeding out of the head? I've always heard that shot beavs will sink out in the water...

Non, WOLF makes it look so easy that it is ridiculous! :? He can talk, stretch, smoke, nail, finish fleshing, maybe enjoy a brew and still come out with an outstanding oval plew without ever even having to reset his nails! The man is a MASTER in the fur shed. :wink:

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2014, 19:19 

Man, the fur is piling up for you already Wolf! I have to admit, all those big beaver would make me cringe once the fleshing would begin. Although, that Post Fleshing Knife made the job easier last spring.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2014, 23:18 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

HappyTrapper wrote:
wolf1199 wrote:
From what I been told it will be a privilege to handle his fur and there is no need for anymore compensation, but little does he know there is a fur shed rental bill

Yes it's on wire, but I used a wooden stretcher to flesh it

My jaw just about dropped when I saw that picture! Dropping your standards up there? :mrgreen:

Yes happy I'm getting some weak moments with age :P

trapperrick wrote:
Man, the fur is piling up for you already Wolf! I have to admit, all those big beaver would make me cringe once the fleshing would begin. Although, that Post Fleshing Knife made the job easier last spring.

Rick getting the right tools makes things a whole lot easier.

NonPCfed wrote:

Sometimes they will sink, in most cases you have a short time line to retrieve them. But if they do sink in most cases they are floated to the top the next day. One thing to remember when shooting beaver is have them close to shore so you have a better chance of retrieving them.

Just another up date

Brad and David doing up the last of the beaver. No more pelts in the freezer. They both are going again at it this weekend as they still need a few more to finish off their quota.

This is the results of their efforts. Pretty impressed on their beaver put up and no longer will I have to look over their shoulders. It took my son David 3 years to get were he is at today on beaver. Now we both have to work together on other fur prep work.

As for myself, well I'm still in limbo on what to-do next for beaver. Maybe tomorrow I might get out and try and snag a few.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2014, 09:30 

Pretty soon, Wolf, the students will become the teachers and the wheel keeps turning.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2014, 20:01 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

TrapperAl that is the cycle. Give what knowledge we know so that they can learn and add to.

Ok I did get out the other day and run one of the trout lakes to set up. This morning my brother came with me for the ride and I'm very glad he did. Predicted 50 K winds and they were not wrong. Hit the lake at 8.00 am and the winds were just starting. One hour boat ride to the last set and then pulled as I came back. Running quarter throttle on the 30 horse coming back as the waves were to much to handle any faster. Was very glad to come around the last bend and shelter from the high winds. Pics may look calm but just out around the bend was 6 miles of nightmare.

9 flat tails over night

2 pure black ones

the other one

3 partridge in the pan for din din.

This one was just shy of the 70 lb mark

Anyway things are drying for tomorrow and both the kids are coming in from there excursions tomorrow as well so I can see a few more flat tails entering the skin shop.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2014, 22:15 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

That is one monster river horse Wolf! :shock: Congrats on the fine catches. 8)

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2014, 12:28 

NICE!! Love those black beavers! It was a windy one yesterday Wolf. I think we got smacked by the same high winds.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2014, 17:02 

The black beavers are cool! Wow, a 70 pound beaver! People around here caught 60 pounders but 70 would be a record.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2014, 22:45 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Did the 9 beaver today, rough skinned and fleshed 2 and boarded. Will get back at it tomorrow. David came in with 2 more and Brad has one more which he will drop off tomorrow night.

All the beaver from yesterday rough skinned

David's 2

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2014, 23:30 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Them plews are really stackin up Wolf. They should call you guys the flattail slayers. :wink:

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2014, 08:24 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Some of the hides look very dark, right or is it just the lighting?