Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 15:26

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: fox gland lure
PostPosted: 03 Oct 2014, 18:06 
Trapper
Trapper

ok last year i caught a nice grey fox and i harvested all the glands out of it. to make gland lure do i throw all of it a blender and hit liquify or what? just kidding but honestly what can i do with it. are their certain glands that will make them turn and run the other way? anyone have any good recipes?

Post subject: Re: fox gland lure
PostPosted: 03 Oct 2014, 18:13 

Depends how much work you want to put into it. If you clean em up good and have enough glands, I would rot them down over the summer, but only use similar glands, i.e. anal glands. If you only have glands from one fox, clean em up and drop them into your squirt bottle of fox urine to give it a little punch. I'm sure you will get some other suggestions that will be good.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2014, 19:35 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I put my glands in a gallon freezer bag until I get enough to rot down. I like to chop mine up finely with scissors to keep it from being so stringy. I also like letting mine rot for a minimum of one year before I preserve, but I like to let it go 3-4 years. I know its good, when I can smell little or no rot smell and all I smell is just the animal odor. I have some bobcat glands that are 4 years old and it is simply awesome with nothing but a strong scent of 'cat.....as if it was fresh scent. The longer they sit the better they are. Do not mix up the making of gland lure with fish oil or beaver tail oil. You ruin it if you sit it out in the sun like you would those other two lures. Instead keep it at room tempetature and out of strong light. After the first week or two the biggest portion of gas it omits from rotting will relent, then its just a matter of letting it age a year or five.... once you have it at that sweet stage preserve it with glycerine oil or sodium benzoate. If you use glycerine count on about another year for it to bind well with the glands. It all hardly sounds worth it...but trust me when i say there is NO comparison to it in any commercial lure or glands and its so far superior you quickly learn the commercial sellers do NOT use full strength quality glands in their mix, or at least not much of it. I'll make my own as long as I am able.

People save all kinds of glands and parts for gland lure. Most of it is "filler" being little help on the line....it just makes more out of a little,,, but the strength suffers for the amount. None of the glands will hurt your trapping, but many arent much help either. No matter what other parts or glands you save, the lower 1/3 of the large intestine connected with anus and ALL of the surrounding fat, and the gall bladder from the underside of the liver are absolutely the very best and should be included.That is all i save and it makes premium lure done correctly.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2014, 08:12 
Trapper
Trapper

thanks guys ill start the aging process this week then. do you think it would hurt if i put red fox glands with greys? we have a good mix of both in my area. or should i try to keep them seperate?

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2014, 11:40 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Amak, you never cease to amaze me with your knowledge (no bs-ing or ribbing here). Just curious if you have a little shed or some out building aways from the home where you can let nature take its course, especially those first 2 "fine" weeks of lure rendering. THAT wouldn't go over well here in the garage and even though the bro has the space out at his place, the SiL wouldn't handle it well in their pole barn. I have cousins who have old farm buildings where people don't live around anymore. If al I have to do after cutting the glands up first and little other prep work, and then "fire & forget" for a good while, I could probably do that.

How would one keep feral cats and other critters roaming old barns or sheds on a farm property out of your aging materials??

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2014, 15:21 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

manjustpayme wrote:
thanks guys ill start the aging process this week then. do you think it would hurt if i put red fox glands with greys? we have a good mix of both in my area. or should i try to keep them seperate?

It wouldn't bother me a bit to mix the two if it were my personal lure. If you have enough of each to seperate it, it may be nice but i do not see it as a necessity. For your knowledge, anymore I only save and use glands from bobcats. I prefer to work with it for a couple reasons that are simply personal choice. Anyway....my point is this. I only have and use 'cat gland lure, but use it to effectively lure and catch bobcat, coyote, fox, and boar coons. I have no doubt it would work well on a number of other furbearers too, such as badger for one. So you can see, that mixing the two fox glands may be "sin" or taboo for those lure purist out there, but it wont make a difference in reality and you can confidently use the same for coyote or bobcat or other furbearers that respond to gland lure. Like I said though, in a perfect world seperation might be nice, esp if you wanted to sell or have other trappers depend on it. Outside of that I myself would not lose a single blink of sleep thinking or worrying about it. Its the same with urine. I use red fox for every urine use and catch coyote, fox, and bobcats depending on what I target with it, plus its cheaper then the other urine and does the exact same job with exact performance.

As for matrix (in heat female) glands. Some prefer to keep it seperate all on its own. I do not, at the following of Nick Wyshinski. He found it more a pain in the keester then any possible short term advantages that lure would give, with indication on the line that matrix lure still is missing some component as it does not draw the same magnetic way for miles like a living in heat female does. If it did there would be no other lure in existence. So He just puts it all together regardless of sex or cycle. Instead the addition of asifoetida in a small amount of lure gives very similar results to produced matrix lure, with much less hassle. Its not often that I even add it as I have no need to and find pure glands satisfactory the way they are.

If you have a decent amount of glands grinding while partially frozen/mostly thawed but still a bit firm is the better alternative over scissors. It will also give you a bit of a jump on it breaking down. Make sure to include the gall bladder for a better aroma of the animal and to help the gland break down. Some use a bit of urine for that job but i find that puts to much ammonia in the lure.

Last edited by Amak on 04 Oct 2014, 16:45, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2014, 16:31 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

NonPCfed wrote:
Amak, you never cease to amaze me with your knowledge (no bs-ing or ribbing here). Just curious if you have a little shed or some out building aways from the home where you can let nature take its course, especially those first 2 "fine" weeks of lure rendering. THAT wouldn't go over well here in the garage and even though the bro has the space out at his place, the SiL wouldn't handle it well in their pole barn. I have cousins who have old farm buildings where people don't live around anymore. If al I have to do after cutting the glands up first and little other prep work, and then "fire & forget" for a good while, I could probably do that.

How would one keep feral cats and other critters roaming old barns or sheds on a farm property out of your aging materials??

I do not use an outbuilding, simply because they lack temperature control. One of these days I will remedy that and build one that is climate controlled. For now I have to use the best means I can. Its a pain in the rear but here is what I do. I fill a quart canning jar no more then 3/4 full of ground or chopped glands. I then place a canning lid and ring on it and barely snug it so under presdure it will still give way. I place the jar inside 3 quality gallon freezer bags. I squeeze as much air out as possible on that first bag, then place that in the other two bags each one sealed. I set it in an unused portion of closet away from people, light, and activity. Then every day for the first week I take the jar outside and open the somewhat inflated 1st bag, and open the jars lid to let gasses escape...I do that twice a day for the first week, sometimes 2 weeks depending on need. Normally by week 2 i can drop to 1 time a day. I can tell where the gas level production is at by the bags inflation rate. I continue to check it daily until i feel comfortable at letting it go a couple days, then a week, then 2 weeks and so on, until you finally do not have to check in on it except to satisfy your curiousity.

There is a second element to my method. That is, I use bobcat glands for the same reason i use bobcat meat for bait. It is the little known fact, that it puts off considerably LESS gas then other options and it typically gives off earlier then other options, making it perfect for my situation.

If i was to do mine in a jar and just leave it senerio like in an outbuilding, i would use a piece of aquarium air hose siliconed into a drilled hole in the lid.( do this before hand) Only leave 1/4" poking through the inside to keep it well away from the contents. On the exterior end place a small air stone. A wrap or two of black electric tape around the jars lid seam which should be snugged up. That effectively keeps out bugs and lets gas out. I would then place it on a steel cable upright and suspend it out of any animals ability to reach it. Suspending a cage and securing jar to the inside of cage is another option.

To cut down on any chances of stinch hitting wrong noses, use a rag dosed in a perfumed oil or liquid and cover exhaust end loosely, or place on/in bag where smell is located or immediate area.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2014, 17:57 

NonPCfed wrote:
Amak, you never cease to amaze me with your knowledge (no bs-ing or ribbing here).

X2!! It sure is a blessing to have such a knowledgeble person on our site! Thanks Amak 8)

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2014, 19:56 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

When you are as dumb as I am, you go through a lot of bad medicine mostly self induced. If I can save a single person from going through rough times I am willing to help. They say nothing is new under the sun, and that applies to me often. Though I may share how I operate and why, much is just passed down knowledge that I find is true and it works. I wish I were that smart, but knowledge is cumulative and ancient and so dang helpful to a hard headed clutz like me. Todays communications are icing on the cake! I wish it were like this as a kid banging my head against the wall. Thanks for the kind words guys, but in actuality im a simple messenger that just reports what I experiance when it works. I truely enjoy sharing and helping if I can. I believe God has given to each of us a portion of gifts and talents. Some of what He gave me is the ability to absorb, retain,and apply,,,,,,, and to convey info clearly to others. In a way, I see it as my responsibility because of that.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2014, 08:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Amak- You're air hose in the proposed outbuilding scenario reminds me a bit of a water seal when I used to make home made wine back in the day. I'd use a rubber stopper that had a hole in it for narrow necked bottles, have used a the metal lid that came with gallon cider jugs in other occasions. A section of a cut glass tube came out of either (with the cider gallon lid, I melted wax around the connection of the tube and lid to keep the seal air tight) and then a rubber tubing would go on the end of the glass tube. The rubber tubing ends up in a larger glass of water. As the wine fermented, the CO2 would come out the rubber tubing and bubble up through the water, thus allowing conditions to remain anaerobic. After the fermentation was done, a person could then filter the wine of the sediments (I never could do this all that effectively), place it in the bottle you were going to store it in, and then cork it.

This worked pretty well, although I remember some crab apple wine I made in college while living in a trailer. I thought it was done fermenting and had corked it off in a old Coke quart glass bottle. Had it sitting on the top of the fridge. Was moving it one day and worked the cork a bit and there was enough pressure to shoot the cork upwards into the pressed paper board ceiling (leaving a dent) and about a third of the bottle erupted like Mt. Vesuvius all over the top of the frig. What a sticky mess! But the rest of the bottle did taste pretty good :wink:

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2014, 17:49 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Thats very funny and cool all at the same time! Thanks for that nonpc!

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2014, 23:47 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

We dont separate reds n greys anymore much. But i didnt see anyone mention this. We save all the sex organs also. I havent noticed a difference when combining both sexes but maybe someone else has? We also save the paws and just toss them into quart or pickle jars of K9 lures. Figure every little bit helps and on occasion I'll toss one into a dirt hole as added scent/..scent/lure holder. I knew some who saved all the fat too and rendered it down or just ground it up and used it as a thickener. Ive done that on occasion with greys while fleshing them. Ràrely with reds though as i clean skin them as much as possible.