Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 09:23

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: IT'S ON BABY!!!
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2014, 12:23 

First check of the 2014-15 season yielded a red fox and my first ever woodland badger! I will a pic posted when I get some time. The whole weekend has been crazy busy, I must have driven 500 miles all told.
Wolf, I used that Teflon fleshing knife you sent me on the last coyote. It worked like a charm. Everything came off and no cuts to the hide. I didn't get to use it last year as I did not catch any otter, but it works great on yotes! Thanks again.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2014, 18:08 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Whack'um and stack'um Al. Looking forward to the photos.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2014, 20:53 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Nice!

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2014, 18:53 

Picked up another red this morning. Got him at a set I put in after the badger, it's about 10 yards away. I could see it had investigated ground zero where the badger bomb was detonated :wink: but apparently it did not like the set and only circled around it. There ya go kiddies....don't forget to plug another set in, especially next to a catch circle.
Oh, and got two stinkers. I thought last year was a good year for skunks, but this year is a banner year! They are everywhere. I hope they are thinning out, cuz we never know when mother nature will lower the weather boom.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2014, 20:15 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

TrapperAL wrote:
Picked up another red this morning. Got him at a set I put in after the badger, it's about 10 yards away. I could see it had investigated ground zero where the badger bomb was detonated :wink: but apparently it did not like the set and only circled around it. There ya go kiddies....don't forget to plug another set in, especially next to a catch circle.
Oh, and got two stinkers. I thought last year was a good year for skunks, but this year is a banner year! They are everywhere. I hope they are thinning out, cuz we never know when mother nature will lower the weather boom.

Al the boys from Oklahoma said they were getting $20 per ounce for the essence, you might want to consider gathering that.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2014, 21:22 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nice action, Al!! Good hint to remember although I should know it already. Disturbance and skunks bring other critters to check out the area :)

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2014, 19:25 

Coyote no. 3 today, plus another skunk....they are legion up here!! I'm trying to figure out how to convert a vid to a couple pics.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2014, 19:17 
Trapper
Trapper

Congrats on the catches al. Biting at the bit been having a couple yotes showing up on my cameras cant wait till Sunday

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2014, 22:27 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

TrapperAL wrote:
First check of the 2014-15 season yielded a red fox and my first ever woodland badger! I will a pic posted when I get some time. The whole weekend has been crazy busy, I must have driven 500 miles all told.
Wolf, I used that Teflon fleshing knife you sent me on the last coyote. It worked like a charm. Everything came off and no cuts to the hide. I didn't get to use it last year as I did not catch any otter, but it works great on yotes! Thanks again.

Glad you liked it, it is not only for otter. I use it on my fox , lynx , fisher as well. One has to experiment with it but it does have it's place. Glad to see your off to a great start. Keep at it Al.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2014, 09:25 

wolf1199 wrote:
TrapperAL wrote:

Glad you liked it, it is not only for otter. I use it on my fox , lynx , fisher as well. One has to experiment with it but it does have it's place. Glad to see your off to a great start. Keep at it Al.

Another big thank you Wolf. Used that knife on my badger after removing the neck and tough back material with my big knife, it cleaned the rest of the hide up really well!

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2014, 00:05 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Way to go Al! Keep piling up the fur. 8)

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2014, 09:55 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Al- What was the color and size of your digger??

Drooling a bit here on my keyboard awaiting pixs of those reddies :) !!

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2014, 12:25 

Sorry PC, I have been going so hard for the last week, I am only starting to remember to take pictures. I'll get pics of the reds after I get em on the boards. The one I caught the other day is a real beauty.

One yote today, and two more of Pepe's cousins. Still thinning that skunk population down. :roll:

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2014, 10:01 

Yesterday....I wont show you the stinkers!

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2014, 10:07 

NonPCfed wrote:
Al- What was the color and size of your digger??

Drooling a bit here on my keyboard awaiting pixs of those reddies :) !!

The badger was 20#s. I don't know how this rates for size, being my first. Color looks good....really silver.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2014, 10:16 

Saturday was water opener for us. I set an upstream section of River near my house. My neighbor and I teamed up. We had one other trapper on the river in a canoe. He did not quite set all the best sign, so we had lots of opportunity. I knew there would be lots of sets to make but we were both surprised by the amount of sign. Gotta love when that happens.

So we got as far upstream as possible with a motor, set one last location, and the chord on the outboard came off the track! Aaaaaaaaaaaah! No tools! Ahhhhhhhhhh! :evil: pull out the oars and start rowing. No big deal, it's only a mile and a half against a 20 mph wind!

Anyway, got a beaver nuisance set done for a deer shack as well.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2014, 10:17 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

That looks like a well furred yote AL. I didn't realize you had badger in your area. That is too cool.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2014, 14:47 

Swamp Rat wrote:
That looks like a well furred yote AL. I didn't realize you had badger in your area. That is too cool.

I have been hoping to catch one. Now that I have, don't want any more! They are very musky smelling, kinda skunky, and fat and greasy like a raccoon! But it was cool to catch a woodland badger :--D

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2014, 19:22 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Hey Al looks like you've been having a stellar season! Great job! Did you target the badger on purpose? I had no idea there were badgers up north, cool catch!

BAIT? URINE? LURE? DON'T NEED IT WHEN I'M USING MB'S!

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 09:02 

Just got lucky Happy. It was meant to be for fox.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 12:56 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Happy- I don't think hardly anyone sets specificfully for badgers except Charlie out of Nebraska. The one I caught in 2012 I sort of set for him doing adoubler set in its diggings on the side of the road but I would have just as gald as catching a reddie or a nice coon there was well. I don't think diggers are very hard to catch only that there are a lot fewer of them than say coon or even k-9s and they wander a ways.

Al- Sounds like your digger might be a good one with that size and color but a guy never knows. The one I sent to NAFA for the May sale was the first I've finished out for fur, it was ranked in the top 20% or so of the lots and started at $15 and finished at $21. In the past, I've kept them for some sort of taxidermy project. I think a badger hide for less than an Andy Jackson probably could an be sold frozen on ebay for more than that, especially if the feet are attached. If you sell the hide for fur, the claws can be sold on ebay. And yes, they are certainly part of the weasel clan, imo about as musky as a pi**ed off buck mink but not as ripe as a pepe...

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 17:42 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Congrats on your badger Al. That is one animal I have never caught. NPF I was watching mountain man the other night ( you know trying to gain more knowledge ) and Tom had caught one. They said badger will bring up to $200.00 for the pelt and Charlie had caught a beaver over in Maine which would bring $200.00. Wonder where they sell their fur? Al is badger open or is their a limit to how many you can catch?

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 21:15 

PC I figured it be worth a hundred bucks, but if we are talking 10 bucks I am tanning and hanging it!

LOL yeah Wolf, they like to make the fur prices sound an awful lot better than they really are. I suppose if you have someone buy the skull, then someone else buys the tail, and someone else buys the meat....hmmmm, guess I'll just leave beaver in the nuisance/bait category for now and enjoy the put up and the 20 bucks!
As far as badger are concerned, off the top of my head, I do not believe they have a limit in MN.

As for the line, I picked up a red fox on a private piece of land purchased recently by a friend. He is in the process of clearing out some of the trees and undergrowth so as to make a space for a cabin. He found the scat, wondered what kind it was, I said "fox, can I set it?" He said I could and 10 days later, with him there almost everyday running a chainsaw, this red shows up! Of course, I reset it 8)

Because of this, I finally found a new area to trap :--D My home turf has been pretty well pounded, as several other trappers seem to be working the area over the last couple years. So I'm pulling stakes and moving. I see alot of promise in the new area and I'm starting to get kinda excited about it.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 21:27 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

There seems to be a few badgers that top a Ben Franklin or more every auction but very few. The gradient between those few top lots and the average prices is pretty steep. Probably do just as well betting in Vegas as on getting a $100+ digger...

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 23:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

you are off to a great start Al.
I am exited for ya about the new area.