Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 04:37

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: NAFA May sale
PostPosted: 22 May 2014, 10:53 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Loxahatchee wrote:
Quick question that's always stumped me for some reason: how exactly does the auction "lot" individual pelts?

Say you send in 2 bobcat pelts, pelt A and pelt B. A is graded as w,x,y,z. B receives a grading of a,b,c,d. Now, will pelt A be grouped in a lot of cat hides with the exact same grading, and then that whole lot (maybe 1000 hides) will be presented for auction and buyers compete for a buying price per hide in that whole lot?

That is correct

PostPosted: 22 May 2014, 13:48 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Swamp Rat wrote:
Were your cats Virginia cats bronco? How many did you have at NAFA? Glad you moved most of your fur. None of my grey fox and few of my coons sold and only had one otter and it didn't sell.

yes all 5 of my cats where virginia cats. i sold one gray out of 3 and 4 coons out of 19 . sold all 3 reds and all rats and didnt sell any of the 3 yotes i sent.

PostPosted: 22 May 2014, 13:49 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

thanks cmj

PostPosted: 23 May 2014, 12:47 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

To add insult to injury, one of my "sold" coons mysteriously showed up as bought back today. :evil: not sure how a bidder can reverse a sale after the hammer drops? It does not really matter at this point just wanted to share

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 23 May 2014, 12:50 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Sometimes a buyer will back out of a lot, or doesn't pay for it so it gets bought back to be sold again. Doesn't happen often, but does happen

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 24 May 2014, 10:45 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Completely forgot about this auction, so went to check on my 2 furs. Pretty disappointing. My coon was bought back again, and my ranched mink I caught sold for $7. Thats 10% of what my last one sold for

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 24 May 2014, 18:17 

longhairboy wrote:
Completely forgot about this auction, so went to check on my 2 furs. Pretty disappointing. My coon was bought back again, and my ranched mink I caught sold for $7. Thats 10% of what my last one sold for

My coons were bought back also but $7.00 for a ranch mink????! I got $12.00 for my female wild mink which was less than half from the February auction.

PostPosted: 25 May 2014, 11:07 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

It was a low grade, lot 451512

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2014, 09:29 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Finally got the details on my 2 coon that sold through private party deals. One was a 2XL *SEL, 4, North-Central that went for $14 and the other was a 2XL *I, 4, North-Central that went for $11. That, along with the single 2XL SDA, 4, North, Good that sold for $13.50 during the auction round out what coon sold for me in May. That leaves me 15 coon that were in the May sale and another 4 that will join them for the Sept. auction. Hope more move then...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2014, 16:25 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

My last batch of fur showed up on my account today for the sept sale........mostly rats about 30 and two more mink. Couple other misc pelts that were in the freezer. Hope the rat market stays consistent.

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2014, 08:51 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

WCS- I hope you mrats do well. I read in the July issue of F,F&G that Gary Schroeder was worried about rat prices as they typically track after ranched mink. With farmed mink down, will rats stay high? I guess we'll see come the early Sept. sale.

We have water back in our wetlands around here, probably need a season or so before river, creek, and lake muskrats re-colonize the sloughs if they stay wet. It would be since to see the trapping pressure slacken a bit so the critters can re-establish themselves but if rats stay in the $10 range, I don't see that happening. Time will tell...

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2014, 22:27 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I see that NAFA has their preliminary listing of fur for the Sept. sale. I wonder if anything will change from May? Maybe the couple of private party deals that I had on a few coon will become the new opening bid? They're going to do all the wild fur on 1 day so I guess they expect going through the catalog fairly fast. What might that mean (probably not good...)?

http://www.nafa.ca/wp-content/uploads/2 ... 014-EN.pdf

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2014, 18:41 

I think the "fire sale" will be on for the coon.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2014, 08:42 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

trapperrick wrote:

.........as in being thrown into a fire? :lol:

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2014, 15:14 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I have a lot of smaller but very high quality graded coon left. I know the smaller sizes are not as desirable but I know they are worth something to someone lol. I could let them burn is they were grade 3 but these coon are large sized with good colors graded 1 and select. No burn

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2014, 15:20 

Amak wrote:
trapperrick wrote:

.........as in being thrown into a fire? :lol:

Unlike some trappers who actually do burn there pelts (which I think is a senseless waste) I've never burn them. If coon end up being worthless this coming season and I catch some, they will get tanned and sold on ebay. You can get some decent prices for tanned pelts on there.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2014, 23:25 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Lol! It was just a figure of speech guys. Id never burn them, but before long coons may not be worth a dime, and thats what im getting at. It is what it is though and theres nothing we can do about it, so Im thinking why worry? We'll just have to adjust and over come. There's much more out there to trap then just coons if we need to.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2014, 20:53 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

I agree with that! I suppose you can have them tanned professionally, but that cuts into the profit pretty deep unless you get a great price on ebay or some other venue. Of course you have to know that several others will be doing the same thing, some may pro tan the hides, some may can tan which doesn't really impress me. Nevertheless, that market may see some flooding too. I'm thinking that I may lay off the coons (not that I'm hard on them anyway) until the market shows signs of coming back. I love trappin em, but I'm not going to do it to give them away.

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2014, 00:16 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I think coon (as well as possums) rob pheasants nests so I'm not too inclined in letting any go. Besides, why just let the cars get them?? I think this year I'll only send my largest and best coon in to NAFA and freeze the rest skinned out and in the grease. I think if they're cool when they go into the freezer and have most of the air out of the bag, unfleshed coon should last 2 years in the freezer (at least some of mine that I sold in the May 2013 auction had been in there that long). Will try to get more into a k-9 line around here. They might cover my expenses for the season. It would be nice if I actually made money trapping but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

I know wolf cringes when he hears a hobbyist talk like that's the truth in my situation. Wolf, if I could pipe $3 gas (I put $3.27 gas in the car today, lowest its been for some time) & diesel north, I would. I'm feel for you guys paying extra high fuel prices up north. Make those jokers in Ottawa come live where you all do for a while and then they might not think their gang pile of taxes was funny. Or are you all just indirectly paying for national health care via higher taxes on everything else??

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2014, 20:51 
Trapper
Trapper

Have to agree with you Non PC on the coon. I am going to hit the coon hard again this season. It helps keep the landowner relationships good by removing a bunch of critters that the farmers hate along with the canines. It sure helps the ground nesting birds.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7