Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 13:12

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: NAFA May sale
PostPosted: 20 May 2014, 11:50 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

That's a nice price for your kitty. Least that will take the sting out of the poor coon sale. CMJ I did not find the beaver sale good at all, very poor prices right across the board for all sizes that did sell. Good luck with the rest of your cats.

PostPosted: 20 May 2014, 11:55 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

wolf1199 wrote:
That's a nice price for your kitty. Least that will take the sting out of the poor coon sale. CMJ I did not find the beaver sale good at all, very poor prices right across the board for all sizes that did sell. Good luck with the rest of your cats.

Thanks Rob, hopefully the rest of the cats do well too, would like a little more money than what the coons brought lol. Do you have any lynx in this sale? Can't argue about the beav sale, that one wasn't very good. Hopefully this next FHA sale will do better for you, kind of gets a little hard to swallow when the furs that you mainly rely on are down like they have been.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 20 May 2014, 13:14 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Well, all the cats sold. Had an average of 171 for 8 cats, I am happy :--D . Only thing left for today is the fox, which we won't get beans for I would think.

Just seen that they have possums for today too. We will be done by today.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 20 May 2014, 13:42 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

I think all trappers Canada and USA should think aboute how much we trap next year. February and May sales with all the buy backs those buyers know they will get fur cheaper next sale I myself will not
Be traping much next year if we keep sending the buyers will keep buying cheap there's to much
Fur sitting at both auction houses when they start running short then buyers will pay more
That's my 2cents on what's happing now

PostPosted: 20 May 2014, 13:55 
Trapper
Trapper

Barryf wrote:
I think all trappers Canada and USA should think aboute how much we trap next year February and May sales with all the buy backs those buyers know they will get fur cheaper next sale I myself will not
Be traping much next year if we keep sending the buyers will keep buying cheap there's to much
Fur sitting at both auction houses when they start running short then buyers will pay more
That's my 2cents on what's happing now

That would be great but it will never happen.

PostPosted: 20 May 2014, 14:06 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

cat-man-jr wrote:
Well, all the cats sold. Had an average of 171 for 8 cats, I am happy :--D . Only thing left for today is the fox, which we won't get beans for I would think.

Just seen that they have possums for today too. We will be done by today.

That is a very good average for your part. Is that your best average so far? Tell your Dad he can keep most of the coon money and you keep the cat money. ;--)

I was following Swamps cat lotting numbers and he did get one very nice price for one.

PostPosted: 20 May 2014, 14:24 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Thats a pretty good average Russ. 128 dollar average for me. I had some smaller cats that brought the average down. I am happy with them though.

Rob, man i just don't know what to say. Nothing I can say will take the sting out of it. All I can say is old timer, you have seen it before.

Russ, what the heck, yotes out shine coons. I think you need to sell all them darn DP'S and become a full fledged yote man.

PostPosted: 20 May 2014, 14:32 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Wolf, yes that is our best average so far. Got higher prices this year on 3 different cats than we normally get for highs. Our highest up till this auction was $195 I think. This sale had one at $210, $260, and $300.

Congrats Larry, hope the rest of the cats and your fur does well.

PostPosted: 20 May 2014, 14:38 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Sac Creek wrote:
Thats a pretty good average Russ. 128 dollar average for me. I had some smaller cats that brought the average down. I am happy with them though.

Rob, man i just don't know what to say. Nothing I can say will take the sting out of it. All I can say is old timer, you have seen it before.

Russ, what the heck, yotes out shine coons. I think you need to sell all them darn DP'S and become a full fledged yote man.

Thanks Jeff. Sounds like you had a good average too. And about becoming a yote man :shock: I'll leave them to others to harvest in numbers. Yote market is too far up and down for me to worry about. One auction we get great prices, others we get crap (this being the more common). And honestly, I just don't have the drive to catch them, I prefer to spend my time on cats. I will keep being selective in the yotes we take and release the others. Coons are a lot less work and I can catch more of them in the same amount of time, even if not as good of an average.

$25 for a fox that was flatter than a pancake lol, about what we figured at best, so I am surprised.

PostPosted: 20 May 2014, 15:04 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Cat Man, you and Amak did good on those cats! My highest was $220 and my buddy's highest two were $220 & $200, which I thought was pretty good for east Texas cats...especially with the market so off.

PostPosted: 20 May 2014, 15:18 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Swamp Rat wrote:
Cat Man, you and Amak did good on those cats! My highest was $220 and my buddy's highest two were $220 & $200, which I thought was pretty good for east Texas cats...especially with the market so off.

Yep, i think you did real good.

PostPosted: 20 May 2014, 15:26 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Grey Fox didn't even get a chance to sell! :evil:

PostPosted: 20 May 2014, 15:40 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Sac Creek wrote:
Swamp Rat wrote:

Yep, i think you did real good.

X2, nothing wrong with them east Texas cats. Sounds real good to me. I've seen in the past you get some pretty high gradings.

Sucks on the grey fox, goes with the tide of the more questionable fur items.

PostPosted: 20 May 2014, 16:13 
Trapper
Trapper

just checked, was happier than i expected, $44.66 average after comm on yotes, 183.66 on cats, all sold, possums bought back, badgers tomorrow

PostPosted: 20 May 2014, 17:21 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Sure wish we had some of those bcats around here :( !!

Sure wish I could find where there were still high numbers of mrats left in e. SD but I'm not hopeful for a population rebound even if we gained a bit in wetland water with sustained $10 a rat. I should pester the state to release its estimates of mrat harvest in the state between 2010 and 2013. I suspect there has been a significant decrease in numbers (like cut in half if not more).

Still will go after coon next fall because 1) we have a bunch, 2) our Western Northerns and West North Centrals usually do well, and 3) I never deployed my full suite of coon cubbies (had half a dozen new 160s that never saw the light of day). I will certainly get in and maintain some k-9 sets over the season and maybe get lucky with some good color (mostly semi-heavy yotes around here).

Just my single digger up yet for sale and then its wait until Sept. to see if anything else sells...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 20 May 2014, 17:29 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

NonPCfed wrote:
Sure wish we had some of those bcats around here :( !!

Sure wish I could find where there were still high numbers of mrats left in e. SD but I'm not hopeful for a population rebound even if we gained a bit in wetland water with sustained $10 a rat. I should pester the state to release its estimates of mrat harvest in the state between 2010 and 2013. I suspect there has been a significant decrease in numbers (like cut in half if not more).

Still will go after coon next fall because 1) we have a bunch, 2) our Western Northerns and West North Centrals usually do well, and 3) I never deployed my full suite of coon cubbies (had half a dozen new 160s that never saw the light of day). I will certainly get in and maintain some k-9 sets over the season and maybe get lucky with some good color (mostly semi-heavy yotes around here).

Just my single digger up yet for sale and then its wait until Sept. to see if anything else sells...

Good deal PC, I reckon your competition will be a whole lot less after these auctions! :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: 20 May 2014, 19:45 

Great job on the cats Amak and CMJ! I'm glad to see some little positives from this auction.

Over on the PA hunting site in the trapping section, the guys who sold early to the country buyers are ripping all of the auction shippers because they sold for real nice prices in November and December. They just don't get that their buyers probably took a big hit because they bought on speculation and when they try to unload coon next season during that same time, they'll be in for a big shock! :shock: Some of these guys unloaded coon in the round for close to $20.00, they'll be lucky to get $2.00 next season.

I'm just taking this all in stride. I sold big coons back in the 1990's for $3.00 to $4.00, muskrat for $2.00 and Grey fox for $7.00. The one good thing that will come out of this is it will trim the "Trap for Cash" crowd. It may take a year because these guys tend to sell locally and if they sold early, they did better than I did this year.

PostPosted: 20 May 2014, 20:46 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Them cats sure saved my butt! I had a north central go $300 and 3 southwesterns go 120, 96 and 150. :--D On a more serious note, I had 5 top lot grinners that got bought back. :lol:

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 20 May 2014, 21:09 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I hear you tRick. The same guys next year will whine about getting "ripped off" by the country buyer or will wonder why there is no country buyer around and complain there's no one to "handle my fur". They're trying to have it both ways, not??

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 20 May 2014, 21:31 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nice prices Jim, congrats. Congrats to you too BGHunter. Can't believe the difference in cats you have up there, must be some dandies :mrgreen:

Thanks Rick. You are right, there are those that sold early that made out pretty well on coon and other things. But, like you said, those buyers took it in the shorts for the most part. Going to be some country buyers that go under because of this, others that don't are going to be very cautious buying next season. Where these same people will get beans at best for their fur.

There always seems to be a big peeing match between outlets for fur and who has gotten the best price, and I don't really know why. Consistently over a longer period, you are going to do better shipping to an auction house or groenwald than you will anything local. Some years country sellers will do better when the market drops midway through season, but they pay for it later. Sometimes I don't think they see past the end of their nose when they go to bashing other outlets. Most years the auctions come out ahead. I say play the market the best you know how and sell to who you feel comfortable selling to. If you are happy with how you did, then I am. I do think a person needs to try different outlets at least once to see if it suits you or not though. How does a person know if something is better for them or not unless they have given it a fair chance. Okay, off my soap box now lol.

PostPosted: 20 May 2014, 21:53 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Mohawk wrote:
Them cats sure saved my butt! I had a north central go $300 and 3 southwesterns go 120, 96 and 150. :--D On a more serious note, I had 5 top lot grinners that got bought back. :lol:

Nice going on the grinners Mohawk! Not bad on the $$$ cats either! :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: 20 May 2014, 22:15 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Prices will be bad next year on coons for sure. Not only do they have the 27 zillion they bought back but they haven't even started receiving the fur we all shipped on in the end of April. I spoke with someone at NAFA today and he said they haven't even started opening bags from the April shippers. Only going to be rats at the Sept sale? All that said, I am looking forward to next season. I have to admit the most consistently priced animal for me since I started has been the coyote. My price for them has only varied a few bucks through the last few years and unfortunately they are an animal I catch the least amount of. Haven't heard much on the forum about mink(the best critter ever) but the gentleman I spoke with from NAFA said you can buy a nice ranch mink for 20 bucks rendering wild mink almost worthless although he said he was surprised to see a 12 dollar average or whatever it was. We have good coons here in my area and good fur almost always seems to sell with the exception of them holding some top lots in anticipation of higher prices. The statements I made are basically just my opinion, I am not an economist. Logic just tells me if they have 1.5 million coons and the demand isn't there the prices won't be too great. Sorry to all who took it in the shorts on this sale and congrats to those who found some relief with cats and canines. I am certain most of you who sold your 25 dollar coons for 10 bucks still had fun outsmarting them last season!

BAIT? URINE? LURE? DON'T NEED IT WHEN I'M USING MB'S!

PostPosted: 20 May 2014, 22:28 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Very well stated HappyTrapper. :wink:

PostPosted: 20 May 2014, 22:37 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Swamp Rat wrote:
Very well stated HappyTrapper. :wink:

x2 on that. For myself next year things will be limited to what I have to catch to keep my registered lines and that's all. Gas is over $6.00 a gallon and fur is $2.00 a pelt, just a no win situation for me and many others up here.

PostPosted: 20 May 2014, 22:40 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Hey how are things going Happy? Have anything in this sale? I think you are right. Until we get the number of buyers back to the auctions like there has been the past couple of years we aren't going to see prices come up. At least for the amount of furs being produced right now plus the hold over goods. I would think NAFA and FHA knows this and should be ready to fight it. I would think that the auction houses would hold online auctions like they have in the past. This let's them get to new and smaller buyers which will drastically help in taking out volume furs. I think it would help set us up on the right path till the buyer number reps at the auctions starts increasing again. Who knows though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next