Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 13:47

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Heating the fur shed
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2013, 22:07 
Trapper
Trapper

What do you guys use to heat yours? Last year I used a large space heater that ran of of diesel fuel.. It burns real clean. This year I have a new 20 by 30 shed and no longer have that heater avalable to me.. It didn't seem to have an effect on the way my fur dried, but I'm not sure.. I've heard that propane draws a lot of moisture... A wood stove is outa the question... Also a few people have mentioned they use an infrared heater and like it.... What do you all recommend? I'm leaning towards buying a space heater

Post subject: Re: Heating the fur shed
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2013, 22:14 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

tbrake wrote:
What do you guys use to heat yours? Last year I used a large space heater that ran of of diesel fuel.. It burns real clean. This year I have a new 20 by 30 shed and no longer have that heater avalable to me.. It didn't seem to have an effect on the way my fur dried, but I'm not sure.. I've heard that propane draws a lot of moisture... A wood stove is outa the question... Also a few people have mentioned they use an infrared heater and like it.... What do you all recommend? I'm leaning towards buying a space heater

Propane draws moisture. Bingo, that's what you want. I use wood heat but keep my ceiling fan on. Works great. Cheap heat for me for the size of shop. Less humidity in the drying process speeds up the drying.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2013, 10:03 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Jase opened my eyes years ago to the oil filled radiator heater and I haven't looked back, I love that thing! A few years ago I used it in a small chicken coop that I adopted as my fur shed and it held it's own pretty well. I would guess that it was only a 8' x 20' space but there was no insulation at all in it. I could feel the wind zinging through the walls so I hung some plastic sheeting along the studs and put the box fan in front of the heater to circulate the air. Like Jase said, it may take a couple of them in that space and if it's insulated that would be so much the better. If not, can you partition off a section of it for a drying room and leave the remainder of the space for fur handling? Even like a walk in closet in a back corner would work, once my hides dried in the chicken coop I hung them in a cold part of a garage and didn't seem to have any ill effects from it. I have to say that I am a bit envious of your fur shed! :mrgreen: Mine, for now, is a shed that is about to fall down and I hang/dry them in the basement. It works but I would love to have a self contained space to go from start to finish. Sometimes, by the time I get through fleshing a grinner or 3 outside, they are already starting to draw up by the time I get them inside on the boards. :lol:

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2013, 11:29 

My shed is only 12x12, so a small electric space heater does the trick. You could look at installing a couple of electric baseboard heaters. Some of those use oil-radiant, and you can set a thermostat, even get a programable one if you want. They are low to the ground and do not take up any space.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2013, 16:59 
Trapper
Trapper

[/url]http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/products/equipment/home_and_workshop_products/portable_heaters/kerosene_fired/kerosene_fired_125000_btu_per_hr_1_5_hp/kerosene_fired_125000_btu_per_hr_1_5_hp.page?

Here is what I used last year.. I shed I was using was considerably larger than the one I have all to my self now, and you could keep it 80 in there if you wanted. it has a thermostat that kicks it on and off when you get to the temp you want.. i'm going to look into the oil radiator heater, it sounds a lot like what i'm wanting. do you think that the diesel fuel space heater adds moisture to the air like they say propane does? I don't want to have buy a dehumidifier.. thank you guys

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2013, 17:12 

My shed is 20X16 and have 2 kerosene heaters which is plenty. I also have electricity just in case the wife kicks me out of the house.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2013, 18:19 
Trapper
Trapper

So what is the issue with wood heat? My shop is going to act as my fur shed also this year until i can build my fur shed. There is a fire place insert in my shop i was planning on using.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2013, 18:33 
Trapper
Trapper

Ronnie wrote:
So what is the issue with wood heat? My shop is going to act as my fur shed also this year until i can build my fur shed. There is a fire place insert in my shop i was planning on using.

I have never really liked a wood stove.. its harder for me to regulate the heat than I would like it to be.... it is defiantly out for this year, but I with think about putting one in by next year.. I've been looking at the oil radiant heaters and I like the looks of them a lot.. they look like they would be much safer that the other options I have been looking at.. I found one from northern too that states that it will heat 650 sq feet.. and if my math is right my shed is around 600 sq feet... I forgot to mention earlier that my shed has a 8 foot ceiling and concrete floor and walls. these oil heaters have me really interested. would the one be enough to keep it a comfortable 60 degrees or so in there? How much energy do they use? thank you

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2013, 18:46 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Wood stoves typically aren't the best because it is hard to regulate temperature. Typically you will end up having to stoke it up to make a lasting heat source, which makes it too hot, then for the time you aren't working in the fur room, your heat will die down too low. The temperature issue mainly maximizes fur drying potential. The farther away from the standards for fur drying you get, the longer and or lesser quality product you will produce.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2013, 19:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

We use the delonghi oil filled radiator TRD0715T. It has been said to be one of the top oil filled heaters, we can vouch for it, its always worked well for us. You might be able to pick one up at Lowe's for 70-80 bucks. You need to check the specs of it to see all the features. It does have a variable setting of 700, 800, or 1500 watts.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2013, 20:27 
Trapper
Trapper

thank you cat man.. I sent you a pm. I will try and get a few pics of my shed later on this week, if anyone is interested in seeing it... its nothing special, i'm still trying to get everything setup how I think I will like it... i'm sure soon as season starts there will be things I wish I would have done differently...

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2013, 09:42 
Trapper
Trapper

That makes sense cat-man. The other problem with my shop is the man who built it did not finish the corners around the cedar post he used. So i have to find a way to close in all of those gaps to keep my heat loss down. Probably have to move to the basement with my fur for this year. Just hope the smell doesnt come up through the kids rooms and stink up the house.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2013, 09:48 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Something you may be able to do is lay some thick heavy plastic down on the floor to keep grease and fat from getting on the floor. Then just have some buckets and coolers you can put fat and carcasses in, if you are skinning in the same place. Plus this allows you to take stuff out to keep the chances of smell down. Kitty litter can also be your best friend as it will soak up any grease that may be on the floor.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2013, 10:03 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

cat-man-jr wrote:
Something you may be able to do is lay some thick heavy plastic down on the floor to keep grease and fat from getting on the floor. Then just have some buckets and coolers you can put fat and carcasses in, if you are skinning in the same place. Plus this allows you to take stuff out to keep the chances of smell down. Kitty litter can also be your best friend as it will soak up any grease that may be on the floor.

I agree with you cat-man on the usefulness of kitty litter in the fur shed. It sure keeps clean ups to a minimum.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2013, 12:22 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

i got a oil furnace in one,woodburner in the other.wood seems to dry everything faster,but more maintence . oil is nice,turn t-stat to temp and forget it!
kitty litter and sawdust is what i use to keep the floor dry, both buildings have concrete floors

life member pta distric #1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
i have trapped in nebraska,michigan,new york,alaska and pa.
us air force retired.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2013, 13:47 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks guys i never thought about kitty litter for clean up.