Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 12:07

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2007, 18:30 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

I've used rebar stakes and drags before but, I've never used cable stakes. I'm wondering what they are. Does any one know where I can get an image and an explanation. also are there any other methods of staking? thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2007, 19:40 
Trapper
Trapper

I like em....cause they're light....and I can pound them between rocks....which is important to me.....thereare many varieties available....I use the bullet pointed cable stakes from MTP....and they do very well...but there are others....like the Berkshires.....and the Pogo system....and each variety has it's place...I trap mtns.....where rocks are a big issue.....and the bullet points have done me very well.......but.....once you drive a bullet stake in/through/around the rocks...you'll never get it back!!!!!so set ur traps with quik-links.....if you have to deal with rocks......
Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2007, 20:55 
It just so happens that I have one lying here. With a smooth rod with a nut welded on the tip (but they say you can use rebar but it's just too hard to yank back out), you drive it into the ground so that just the loop is sticking out to fasten your trap, or trap chain onto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2007, 20:48 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

so you would put a steak through the loop. correct? and what's the flat piece and nut for? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2007, 20:57 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

is the bullet steak consider a dispoable steak? I usually don't stake my traps cause i've had some critters pull their paws out. i figured it was from the hard jerk when first caught. so i used drags to eliminate that jerk. but drags and 8' chain is alot of wait to carry. i'd like to try an anchor that i could just take the trap and leave the anchor also something light. and of course reliable. what's mpt stand for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2007, 09:27 
No. You take the tip of your driver, and it rests in that nipple on the end of that metal plate on the bottom of the cable. Then, holding the driver against the cable, and applying pressure so that the plate points downward, you drive the stake down into the ground, and it takes the metal plate with it. ONce it has been driven down into the ground until all but the loop is barely showing, you wiggle and pull out the stake. You put the stake through the loop, and give it a good solid tug. This will cause the metal plate that's in the ground to flatten out. ATtach your trap, and then bed it.

1: Cable Stake
2: Rest driver (could be a rebar stake, or a smooth made driver, slightly longer than the cable) in the nipple of the stake.
3: Drive cable stake completely down so that only a bit of the loop is still showing.
4: Remove driver and slip through loop.
5: Give a good tug to flatten out the stake, and allow connecting of your trap.

I don't consider any disposable stake disposable. I retrieve all of mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2007, 09:29 
Also, the use of shorter chains and a shock spring eliminates that jerk and pull out. If you use long chains, the animal is able to get speed up which helps to facilitate a pull out, whereas short chains do not allow any sort of build up. And the shock spring reduces potential of pulled muscles or joint strain. I do not use drags, myself. I have several reasons, but to each his own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2007, 20:40 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

thanks for the diagram and the info on the springs. cable stakes look like something i want to try. hope i don't ask to many questions but i sure do appreciate the answers :)