Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 01:24

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 16:01 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

As some of you may remember (especially Jase and CMJ that helped me out through PM's, thanks again), last year I gained permission to trap at a quarry. I only had a couple days to trap and a bum ankle, so I didn't get anywhere. Anyways this year I'm going back! :--D I found this trail through the woods that I thought would be great for targeting coyotes, fox, and cats. Now I know there are some cats in the area but the habitat isn't all that great for them so I think my best bet would be to set common travel routes and try to nab whatever walks by. I would prefer target each animal specifically but that's not really feasible here because the area is mostly coyotes. So the question is, would it be best to make a good dirt hole to go for all three animals, or make a dirt hole/step down dirt hole for fox and coyote and a walkthrough set nearby for cats. So basically double setting every ideal location? Will a dirt hole be very effective for cats too? Here are pictures below. The first is the whole quarry and the second you can see the trail going vertically down the middle of the picture.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 17:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

You will want to double up on your sets with yotes and fox, you can fairly often pop doubles. Just simple dirt holes will work for cats (just make sure to narrow them down hard), walkthroughs, flat sets. I'm not sure if you would want to use a step down on cats, havent thought to try them, so I don't know how they would work it.

I remember this place. Will have to look at this place again in more detail, we've learned quite a bit since last time.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 18:05 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

cat-man-jr wrote:
You will want to double up on your sets with yotes and fox, you can fairly often pop doubles. Just simple dirt holes will work for cats (just make sure to narrow them down hard), walkthroughs, flat sets. I'm not sure if you would want to use a step down on cats, havent thought to try them, so I don't know how they would work it.

I remember this place. Will have to look at this place again in more detail, we've learned quite a bit since last time.

Yes sir we have. After deciding that there were no specific "catty" areas I decided I would just hit the trails hoping to nab one cruising through the woods. Is it worth trying to set around a water source? Because there are a lot of lakes. Otherwise I'll just set for doubles at spots along the main trail that intersects with smaller trails.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 22:47 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I talked to Russ about it quite a bit last year. The power line is solid bedrock. All washes are just rock bottomed with very little brush around it. There are some dead cut down medium to small cedars and some new growth, but none of it is very thick. There are quite a few coyote tracks and a lot of deer sign, but that's all I found. There are very few drainages in the timber and any that are aren't very thick because they are a very shallow slope and don't get a lot of sunlight. If I understand correctly though you are saying that if the cats are known to be in the area, then the thickest wash is the best place to start, even if it is not what I consider to be particularly thick? Because if they are around that is where the food source will be?

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 23:33 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Cats have been seen several times in the area but I'll likely just go for coyotes and if I get a cat, yay. If not, I'll have alot of coyotes. I'll try to look for some good cat spots. Usually when I find good cat cover though it is only in a small patch an I just don't expect a cat to live in a fence row that is 20x100 yards. I'll find the cats in time I suppose.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2013, 10:20 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Alright. Thanks again Jase. Is there a trapable ROW along train tracks like there is along the roads? Or do you have to have permission from a land owned that has property along the tracks?

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2013, 11:18 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

iloveguns22 wrote:
Alright. Thanks again Jase. Is there a trapable ROW along train tracks like there is along the roads? Or do you have to have permission from a land owned that has property along the tracks?

I think railroad right of ways are like any other private property and you may end up with trespass situations and/or loss of trapping equipment and catches. Check with the RR companies.