Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 04:12

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: coon beginner
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2013, 08:16 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

If you did feel like you wanted some extra insurance you could make your trap chain longer. That will also help keep them from pumping the stake out

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2013, 20:36 
Trapper
Trapper

I got all my traps and equipment today. It was like Christmas all over again. Took me 20 minutes to set that dang Bridger 220 body grip. I guess im just a wimp but dang those springs are strong. I was drenched in sweat once i finally got it set but probably just cause its so hot outside :D That duke #4 was freakin huge. I bet if it snapped on my bare finger it would snap it like a Carrot but I've seen coyotes caught in them and they had no damage whatsoever. Anyways the traps are hanging outside now. I sprayed them real good with water and once they have some surface rust its time for boiling and walnut stain.

Muskrats 4 (first)
Mink 1 (first)
Beavers 2 (first)
Coyotes 1 (first)
Red fox 2
Otter 1 (first)
Skunk 1 (first)

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2013, 20:49 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

jermbonoutdoors wrote:
I got all my traps and equipment today. It was like Christmas all over again. Took me 20 minutes to set that dang Bridger 220 body grip. I guess im just a wimp but dang those springs are strong. I was drenched in sweat once i finally got it set but probably just cause its so hot outside :D That duke #4 was freakin huge. I bet if it snapped on my bare finger it would snap it like a Carrot but I've seen coyotes caught in them and they had no damage whatsoever. Anyways the traps are hanging outside now. I sprayed them real good with water and once they have some surface rust its time for boiling and walnut stain.

Do you have a "PLAN OF ESCAPE" should you get caught in the 220? You really should have one. Just let someone assist you in easing the trap shut on one of your hands and then get an idea of what it is like when you are in the woods and alone. Having tied off for easy release is a good option....especially if you can't release it, at least you could drive in with it attached to your hand.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2013, 20:56 
Trapper
Trapper

My dad usually tags along when I check my line so if any trouble arises he's there with me. He trapped a lot as a kid so he helps me sometimes with my sets and teaches me other things along the way.

Muskrats 4 (first)
Mink 1 (first)
Beavers 2 (first)
Coyotes 1 (first)
Red fox 2
Otter 1 (first)
Skunk 1 (first)

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2013, 21:21 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Swamp Rat wrote:
jermbonoutdoors wrote:

Do you have a "PLAN OF ESCAPE" should you get caught in the 220? You really should have one. Just let someone assist you in easing the trap shut on one of your hands and then get an idea of what it is like when you are in the woods and alone. Having tied off for easy release is a good option....especially if you can't release it, at least you could drive in with it attached to your hand.

That's good advice Swamp. When I'm setting my 330's I always carry a 2' piece of small rope in my pocket. I tie a loop in the rope on one end to wrap around the spring to compress it. That drive home may take to long with that trap on my arm or hand and cause even more damage. I'm not very good at explaining things, so maybe some body might chime in that knows what I am talking about and explain it better for jermbonoutdoors. :wink: