Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 02:11

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2013, 19:11 

Now that the NAFA wild fur auction went so well again, most trappers are looking toward catching more fur. My goal this coming season is something a bit different. My goal is to be a TOP LOT TRAPPER! Jase, CMJ, Fuzz and Fish are excellent at fur handling skills and have produced Top Lots.(If I did not mention anybody else who were able to reach this prestigious level, I'm sorry, but your included in this list) I want to be included in that list! It has nothing to do with money, (more money is cool, don't get me wrong) but to know that you prepared a pelt that is cherished above all other pelts by the fur buyers is something that is really starting to drive me.

You just watch this winter all members of WAT, I will be a TOP LOT TRAPPER! :D

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2013, 19:34 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

trapperrick wrote:
Now that the NAFA wild fur auction went so well again, most trappers are looking toward catching more fur. My goal this coming season is something a bit different. My goal is to be a TOP LOT TRAPPER! Jase, CMJ, Fuzz and Fish are excellent at fur handling skills and have produced Top Lots.(If I did not mention anybody else who were able to reach this prestigious level, I'm sorry, but your included in this list WOLF! I can't believe you left WOLF off this list! :roll: ) I want to be included in that list! It has nothing to do with money, (more money is cool, don't get me wrong) but to know that you prepared a pelt that is cherished above all other pelts by the fur buyers is something that is really starting to drive me.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2013, 20:08 

Swamp Rat wrote:
trapperrick wrote:
Now that the NAFA wild fur auction went so well again, most trappers are looking toward catching more fur. My goal this coming season is something a bit different. My goal is to be a TOP LOT TRAPPER! Jase, CMJ, Fuzz and Fish are excellent at fur handling skills and have produced Top Lots.(If I did not mention anybody else who were able to reach this prestigious level, I'm sorry, but your included in this list WOLF! I can't believe you left WOLF off this list! :roll: ) I want to be included in that list! It has nothing to do with money, (more money is cool, don't get me wrong) but to know that you prepared a pelt that is cherished above all other pelts by the fur buyers is something that is really starting to drive me.

I knew I forgot someone off the list... :oops: I'm sure there are a few others I made mad too.... :oops:

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2013, 20:16 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

It is very possible to get done, a lot deals with getting a very good animal to begin with. Good luck in the venture. We are all pulling for you.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2013, 20:56 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Trapperrick, I couldn't agree with you more!!! I really do enjoy catching lots of critters and spend countless hours in the fur shed, but my real goal is getting on that top lot list as well. There are so many things that have to come together to make this happen, and all of them revolve around being the best at what you do. My other goal is to send so much fur to the market that they have to send me my own trailer to haul it all up there. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2013, 21:05 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

You can do it guys!!! I made it with coons the last couple years and a grinner this year. If I can do it, you all dang sure can! :wink:

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2013, 21:19 
Trapper
Trapper

I can't really answer any questions yet, but I can take my hat off to you guys that received top lot honor!! And good luck TR with your new challenge!!

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2013, 21:25 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

High goals are good. I just wish a lot more Americans had such goals of hard work and attention to detail.

tRick- I hope you get a fisher tag this year and catch that same one that you had to let go last season. I'd love to see you stick a Ben Franklin in your pocket for one of those (if the fisher market stays hot)!!

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2013, 21:31 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

right behind ya TR.
More critters and better pelts.
I know this is where I will learn.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2013, 00:05 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I am sure you guys will all get your top lot hats this year, heck if I can get them that proves anybody can :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Good luck guys and go gettim!!!

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2013, 03:18 
Trapper
Trapper

fuzz269 wrote:
I am sure you guys will all get your top lot hats this year, heck if I can get them that proves anybody can :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Good luck guys and go gettim!!!

We got our first Top Lot coon last year and never did get a hat. Did get a really nice looking certificate this year, but no hat. Did get a top lot opossum this year as well but yeehaw if you know what I mean.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2013, 09:12 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

If you want the hat, you will either have to call NAFA or talk to your pick up agent, they might have some.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2013, 16:28 

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

I recently bought the NAFA / Wisconsin Trappers Association fur handling video off of a fellow WAT member. It's a very good and detailed video covering the most common of North American fur bearers but one thing I did find out, I've been skinning coons wrong! :shock: It turns out, when you board coon, the opening cuts are a little different than when you skin for a wire stretcher. :roll:

The following is from the NAFA Pelt Handling Manual.

PeltIng
The initial cut is made from one foot to the other passing under the anus about 1½'' to 2'' following a line separating the longer guard hair from the shorter belly fur. This will take advantage of the long guard hairs located in this area and easily add length to the pelt.
Freshly-pelted Raccoon should be left leather-out until sufficiently cooled. After cooling, the pelt can be turned fur-out until further processing.

I had been cutting from the heel to just below the "vent" to the other heel.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2013, 16:32 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yep, that is called the money cut. Adds some length, which equals a little more money normally.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2013, 19:52 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

yep, tRick, I'm going to make more money next season as well, because I was basically doing the same thing you were doing. One thing that pleasantly surprised me with the NAFA auction was when I marked down what I was measuring a coon using NAFA's lengths for sizes and where I was measuring from, that I was getting the benefit of the doubt from the graders. So hides I thought were only 3X ended being 3XL-4XL. Now, knowing the "money cut" those skins will be true 4XL :D !!

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2013, 21:30 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

trapperrick wrote:
Swamp Rat wrote:
trapperrick wrote:

I knew I forgot someone off the list... :oops: I'm sure there are a few others I made mad too.... :oops:

Don`t worry about wolf TR your heart is in the right place and I wish you good luck for next year. Once you get a few top lots the novelty will were off. After all it`s only a hat and pin every year and a certificate. At one time I thought that was an honor to receive that, now it just happens every year and is mundane.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2013, 21:39 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

wolf1199 wrote:
trapperrick wrote:
Swamp Rat wrote:
trapperrick wrote:

Don`t worry about wolf TR your heart is in the right place and I wish you good luck for next year. Once you get a few top lots the novelty will were off. After all it`s only a hat and pin every year and a certificate. At one time I thought that was an honor to receive that, now it just happens every year and is mundane.

Mundane to you Wolf....not to me.....I wear my TOP LOT NAFA caps (that you gave me) like I did a top lot on my own!!!

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2013, 09:19 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Wolf is right, once you get a few of them, it is like anything else, it looses some of it's luster. But, it is nice to see them still keep coming to know you are still doing things right. Plus, they normally equal a little more money for a particular hide.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2013, 19:51 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I just want the hat to wear to school :p

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36