Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 06:38

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: opossum hides
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2013, 21:05 
Trapper
Trapper

i will be trapping this year for the first time in alot of years, when i was a boy opossum hides could be sold. is there still a market for them?, i plan on keeping few for the freezer but if there hides can be sold i'll keep all i catch. thanks

Post subject: Re: opossum hides
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2013, 21:23 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Oh yeah, they can be sold. The only thing is you got to be selective which ones you take and what time of the year. Don't even think about keeping any until Jan. When you do take them, make sure it is big males. Do that and you can make good money off them. I think we averaged like 8 or 8.50 on our grinners this past NAFA auction. Think the high was like 9 or 9.50 I can't remember for sure.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2013, 21:26 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I believe this year nafa had a pretty sale on grinners. I think they were going up to around 9.00. Maybe some others will chime in that will know for sure. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2013, 06:47 
Trapper
Trapper

[quote="jase"]Russ, you forgot that they cannot be black, or they won't sell but for a few cents. Grey ordinary color is what they want.

Did you guys notice a bunch of dark oppossums this year? arround here nearly all of them were black... in the years past when i caught a few most were the gray normal color... i was told by an elder and said it was because of the colder winter than we have had the last couple of years?

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2013, 07:38 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

We didn't notice that happening for us, at least later in the season. Actually we didn't really catch all that many possums this past season, at least while we were cat trapping. I think we caught several while we were running that small DP line while we were chasing fox, but they all got released, it was just too early for them yet. I can't remember if we had many black colored possums then or not.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2013, 09:16 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

cat-man-jr wrote:
We didn't notice that happening for us, at least later in the season. Actually we didn't really catch all that many possums this past season, at least while we were cat trapping. I think we caught several while we were running that small DP line while we were chasing fox, but they all got released, it was just too early for them yet. I can't remember if we had many black colored possums then or not.

I didn't catch near as many grinners either :shock: this past season. Most of what I did catch were grey but a couple were black, I always have to catch a few black ones. :lol: :lol: Of course they are normally caught in 160's. :roll: In the past I hammer grinners in cat sets but not this year. Must be a pop decline for some reason.

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2013, 13:36 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Definitely put them up. They eat a ton of turkey eggs every spring and duck eggs. I averaged 6and change on mine. For the ease of putting them up, I would say its worth it.

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2013, 17:56 

First of all, welcome to the site Boomer! Yes, the possum prices at NAFA was quite astounding this year. It almost made me wish I caught a few of them this past season. They are easy to put up. I just know Red Rooster had something to do with this from above.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2013, 07:08 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

jase wrote:
trapperrick wrote:
First of all, welcome to the site Boomer! Yes, the possum prices at NAFA was quite astounding this year. It almost made me wish I caught a few of them this past season. They are easy to put up. I just know Red Rooster had something to do with this from above.

I would like to think so too,and hope he hasn't forgot us. Maybe he will give us a sign, and send a few with cowboy outfits on! lol! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: AMEN!!! Here is some pics if you don't know what Jase is talking about. :D What a sense of humor!!!

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2013, 21:43 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Ive been trappin possum tryin to get them out of my yard and the last one I got was really dark. I thought its fur looked pretty good, but I guess they dye them anyway. I didnt know people skinned possum I never want to touch them because they smell like crap. All the other ones I have gotten were grayish white. This was the first one with dark fur I have gotten.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2013, 21:50 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

The grayish white ones you are talking about are the only ones worth any value on the fur market. The ones that are completely black, are unfortunately not worth anything on the market, best to turn them loose if at all possible.