Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 08:52

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mohawks 2013 line
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2013, 16:22 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

I been sucking wind this year trapping! I have always had a few sets out but not productive ones for the most part. I have picked it up a bit the last few weeks though and am hoping to get more sets out yet in new areas, focusing on 'cats. I am Amak's most hard headed student, but after some bricks to the melon and lots of talking he finally got through and I caught a cat! :lol: I have had a tough time with that to this point this year. Anyhow, here is a few pics just to show how my season has been unfolding so far.
Here is a SHOCKER!!!

and another:

See a pattern? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here is a snared yote that I think I ran into a cat snare as I drove into a property to check a few sets.

Here is Boo with a deer that I ended up shooting during the January antlerless season.

Here is a pic I'm gonna send to Martha Stewart. It's a simple arrangement that utilizes left over deer parts, contained in a decorative bucket. :wink: When it's frozen you have a predator popcicle! Think she will go for it?

Finally here is a few pics of the cat! He is a 17 lb tom caught in a blind set with a montana #3.

Hit pic:

Belly shot:

I have a few other pics too that I will have to put on, but they must be on another sd card. :? I HOPE!!!

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

Post subject: Re: Mohawks 2013 line
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2013, 16:40 

Great pics Mohawk! I had one of those really tough seasons last year but looks like things are looking up.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2013, 16:48 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Great pics mokawk, glad to see things are turning around for you. That is a nice cat for sure. Good luck on a few more of them. How did your coon trapping go this year or are you like the rest of the boys in that area and give it a rest for this season.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2013, 17:46 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Ok cat, decent deer, marginal coyote but MAN LOOK AT THOSE GRINNERS!!! :D :D :D :D
CONGRATS ON THE CATCHES!

BAIT? URINE? LURE? DON'T NEED IT WHEN I'M USING MB'S!

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2013, 22:06 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Thanks guys! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
TR, my off season is mostly my own doing. I had a move to a new house come along and it required some extensive remodeling, refinishing and other sprucing up. Then came a chilly spell and we find that the insulation left something to be desired so there was some buttoning up in that area as well. And then there is work that keeps gettin in the way of a good time. :evil: I think I am sort of caught up on that stuff now and can spend the rest of the season hitting it a little harder, I hope.
Wolf, either I sucks at coon trapping or I am indeed givin them a rest subconsiously. I think the numbers are down on them and as Jase pointed out, the grinner #'s seem off as well.
Jase, Yes that was my first ever true blind set cat, Love it!!! :--D No bait, no lure, nothing but trap and blocking. SWEET!
HT, :--D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: What can I say. You just wait till you see what I caught in an MB earlier in the season if I can find that dang card! :--?

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2013, 23:42 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Hey Mo, thats a really dark cat. He is beautiful. I want one so bad! Keep on catching them spots. As far a the coon in your area goes, I'm sure the numbers are down. The coonhunters in your area have slaughtered them. I know for a fact. I know several right there in Paola. They have killed a lot. More than you could imagine. They don't care where they hunt. Permission or not. They aren't leaving any behind for seed. :--( :--( :--( :--(

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2013, 11:38 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Mohawk- Did you scare that doe to death?? Amazing how clean she was...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2013, 16:56 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Nice cat! Glad you're doing well :) Very nice doe too!

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2013, 10:03 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

jase wrote:
if I was a betting man, I'd say the other side of that doe's head isn't so clean! :lol: :lol: :lol: Mohawk is a head hunter. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:wink: :lol:
Richard, I don't know of a lot of coon hunters around, a couple though and I think they pretty much reflect the values that you described. As far as the numbers of coon hunters, I believe you would know more about that than I do as well. You keep gunning for them cats and you WILL connect. :D

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2013, 20:21 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Congrats Mohawk on the beautiful bobcat! Of course Boo is as pretty older as she was younger, good seeing her in the outdoor pic again. My ratio of cats vs grinners has the grinners in the lead! I can't help but think of Harold/redrooster every time one ruins a cat set! :evil:

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2013, 21:07 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Swamp Rat wrote:
Congrats Mohawk on the beautiful bobcat! Of course Boo is as pretty older as she was younger, good seeing her in the outdoor pic again. My ratio of cats vs grinners has the grinners in the lead! I can't help but think of Harold/redrooster every time one ruins a cat set! :evil:

Hello Swamp! Yeah, my grinner count is well above my kitty count too, and always will be. I think of ol' Redrooster often when I catch one of those too. Especially the ones he dressed up in western wear! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I still have those pics on the bucket and have to check them out now and again.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2013, 21:26 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Been painfully slow. Had to resort to bird watching. :lol: :lol:

Barred owl:

Great horned owl:

Been catching a few more of these:

This is a catch I am really not happy about!!! :evil:

I caught a coon in the set I was remaking and thought I had the snap fastened on my holster. I set the trap and bedded it and was reaching over the trap bed to move some blocking when I felt the pistol fall and I heard a snap. :lol: :lol: Good thing I wasn't laying on my belly. :--o

Saturday I got out 11 new cat sets bringing me up to 24. Here is a few pics.

Blind set:

Close up - hoping that the pan is the "safe" spot for the cat to step as it goes to step over the stick, yet too close to the stick for a deer to step on. Been fighting them turds left and right. :evil: :

Walk thru:

What lies beneath (in 2 of the new sets, saving the 650's for sets I'm more confident in): :lol:

This is a set smack in the middle of an oil road where multiple trails intersect with the road. I had come across some old deer remains so I grabbed up the t bones and used them. I calls this a tiny t bone set. :roll:

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2013, 21:36 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Good looking sets!

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2013, 22:10 
Trapper
Trapper

Wow they are good looking sets Mohawk. Bet you'll get one soon.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2013, 01:33 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Great lookiing sets!!! I'm sure they'll all be full in no time!!!

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2013, 18:46 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Thanks guys! I'll know how good the sets were in about 2 weeks. :lol: :lol: I will be making more sets as I go along, I have some traps left to play with and plenty of snares.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2013, 19:39 

Nice to see you getting out there Mohawk :--D Great catches, and great lookin' cat! :mrgreen:

Thanks for sharing your set pics....I like that walk through. Bet you get a cat there before too long!

I'm curious to see what you have on that other sd card....come on give it up!

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2013, 09:20 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

:lol: :lol: :lol: TrapperAl, The pic I was looking for was the one of the revolver in the MB, sorry for the letdown. I couldn't believe that happened, and when it did, I figured it probably cracked the grips but it didn't do anything but leave a little mark in the wood. :lol: It has been slow!!! Monday I scouted an area that I hadn't set yet and am sure I found a cat track in the powder in a creek bed. I had caught cats there before over the years. Tuesday we got some rain and the creek got some water in it but I set it anyway because without more rain, the flow will be short lived. Before I went in, I talked to the landowner to see if I could park by his barn to check that spot and he was cool with that. That would save me 1/4 mile walk one way. So I mudded in 3 MB 650's and when I got back to the truck he had left a note that said he changed his mind bc he was afraid his dog would find a trap and wanted me to pull them up. :lol: :roll: I didn't have my stake puller so I went on and found him and he was apologetic about it, but I told him I needed my puller and couldn't yank them that night. He was ok with that so I had hopes for a 1 night turn around. Checked yesterday as I pulled and I had a decent boar coon, but no dang cat. The rain played havoc on several of my sets, so I remade some but a few still have water running over them. I think I am going to put out more snares along with my other blind sets just to keep something in commission in case of more precip before the end of season. I prefer foot holds but it's getting down to the wire.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2013, 15:05 

Nice looking set Mo! I got to ask you, is that new plant growth around your trap set? It looks very new and green like spring time has come to Kansas already.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2013, 09:01 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

trapperrick wrote:
Nice looking set Mo! I got to ask you, is that new plant growth around your trap set? It looks very new and green like spring time has come to Kansas already.

You know I just noticed that after you said something! We have had a greenup since it rained a bit in some of the area's hardier plants. Winter wheat is getting greener as are some of the pastures around. We really have milder winters than we used to. It gets cold but it don't stay cold like it used to.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2013, 07:46 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

It is good seeing you back out in the field chasing the furbearers Mohawk! You are putting in a lot of effort and I sure hope you make some good connections. The farmer changing his mind really sucks. The pistol dropping into the trap is a great reminder as to how quickly we can get ourselves into a pickle out in the field. Glad it only turned into a photo-op. I have only seen one great horned owl and I caught it in a bobcat set years ago and kept it in a cage for a couple weeks until it's toes healed and turned it loose.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2013, 08:18 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Swamp Rat wrote:
It is good seeing you back out in the field chasing the furbearers Mohawk! You are putting in a lot of effort and I sure hope you make some good connections. The farmer changing his mind really sucks. The pistol dropping into the trap is a great reminder as to how quickly we can get ourselves into a pickle out in the field. Glad it only turned into a photo-op. I have only seen one great horned owl and I caught it in a bobcat set years ago and kept it in a cage for a couple weeks until it's toes healed and turned it loose.

:lol: :lol: COOL!!! I would get strung up if I got caught with an owl here I suppose, regardless of reason. I wish I had my camera with me at the ready last friday. We had a big water main break and I went to shut a valve where we cross Bull Creek which is only about a mile or so below Hillsdale dam. I got out of the truck and was checking out the creek and a Bald Eagle flew down the creek channel, right in front of me! :shock: They are BIG and look bigger when they cruise by within about 15 yards. :lol: :lol: So far it's been steadily tough. I have caught a few coons lately, the last one was hip snared and badly rubbed. I still have a lil over a week to try to get something to happen cat wise so I guess we will see. :D

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2013, 20:19 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

15 nights after I put in 11 sets on the last property I set I finally picked up a kitty!!!

She was snared and got a leg through so she was very much alive. She weighed in at 18 1/2 lbs.

She has a real nice belly on her. I set a few more MB's out after the rain last week because I cut a track in the oil road that this snare was off of. No real rhyme or reason why I set this snare other than it looked like it might have a cat running it eventually. :lol:
The remake:

Hopefully I can get tommy to come into it before season ends on the 15th. :--?

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2013, 20:35 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Awesome cat! Glad you didn't pull!

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2013, 20:54 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

HappyTrapper wrote:
Awesome cat! Glad you didn't pull!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Every day I been thinking I'm pulling stakes, then I set another trap to have another empty set to look at the next several days just to keep some fire going before burning out. You told me to wait it out HT! So I guess I have to blame you. :wink: