Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 22:48

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snares
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2013, 21:41 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I was thinking about changing my snares a bit next year. In SD snares must have deer stops on them unless using the amberg break away system of a set amount of wieght what im wondering is if I change my snares to use this system will most of my coyotes be DOA and save me time and fur or is it a waste of time?

Badgers--11
Mink--8
Rats--257
grinners--39
beaver--12

Post subject: Re: Snares
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2013, 12:03 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

I am not familiar with the amberg system in terms of actually using it, but with proper entanglement and a good "hit" your yote should be stone dead when you get there. Release systems are designed to break away under a certain amount of pressure beyond what a target animal like a yote can exert on the snare.

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2013, 15:14 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

here in alberta i use the seneeker power snare with 265 lbs. breakaway the lighting lock and the kill spring and trigger all in 1/16th by 1/19 cable, the snare it self is 5 foot and a 6 foot extention and no intanglement and 99% are dead when i check them, with the 265 breakaway i get a few really big coyotes pull the breakaway apart but that is ok when every deer breaks loose i'm willing to let a few coyotes go to save deer. but my number of caught coyotes are awsome 114 so far and the season goes to the end of feb. i hope this helps you

Richard

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2013, 23:40 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Fish- I watched a video made by the guy who sells Dakota Line snares (a friend of mine brought a couple dozen from him). The DL guy states that he hammers in a couple of "entanglement" stakes (2 ft. rebar stakes pounded about half way in sort of crossing each) near the staked down end of the snare. The DL guy claims he never has a yote found alive in the snare and he just has standard cam locks. You might give it a try and see what happens....

Genesis 1:26