Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 01:28

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2012, 12:48 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Well season started Thursday, but last night was the first night I got traps out. It was getting dark and I quickly set out 4 dp's. I set 3 next to each other by a salt block, and one in a creek crossing. I baited with sardines. I also went on a search for some muskrat runs or dens in the lake, but low water levels are making em hard to find. I found one hole under water that looked like it was just dug out, it didn't have a run going into it or anything. Anyhow, I dug out enough for a colony trap and wiggled it in there. I figured hey, this trap isn't gonna catch anything on the front porch. Anyways this morning I had two sows and.... My first two muskrats! 5 traps and 4 catches! Starting off right! I'll get pictures up sooner or later, I post from my phone so I'll have to wait till I get some computer access.
Also, I'm gonna try to get out 8 more dp's, 4 more colonies, 2 110's, and maybe some #2's by a bait pile.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2012, 12:51 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

very nice four for five you need more traps out

pepe lepue 3
greys 8
reds
coys3
Johnny sneekum hopefully
beaver 9
bobcat 7
otter 2

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2012, 13:19 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Very nice start! Congrats, and good luck!

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2012, 17:45 

Nice job! pics would be nice!

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2012, 21:44 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Well, yesterday was unsuccessful, I didn't have time to get anymore sets out the day before. Yesterday after the check I set 7 more dp's at my grandparents place. It was a little too dark for pictures when I checked today, but I picked up a double with a nice boar, and I released the tiny little bugger next to him. I got a smaller boar on a creek edge, and a small sow. I also had a nice sized sow on a creek edge. 7 traps 5 coons... Now if I could only do that every day. :P

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2012, 12:47 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Muskrats in a colony

A close up

First two coons put up

A picture of my trapping room

The weasel that killed 15 chickens!!

Coyote sets I made yesterday

This is a den I found along a creek yesterday. I'm thinking fox?

Some tracks in the den

Double foot catch in a DP today

A Victor #3 DBL LS that I found in the creek yesterday

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2012, 12:53 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I'm sorry about the pic size, everytime I would adjust it my computor would freeze. Anyway, I got 5 coyote sets out near a bait pile yesterday, which only yielded a grinner and a grinner foot (fouled the swivels in the grass and wrung out). And 10 dp's but I only picked up one coon on those. I hope I have time to remake my sets later, right now I'm busy with Thanksgiving. Please leave your input on the den, and feel free to critique my fur handling and set making. Happy Thanksgiving!

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2012, 14:15 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Wow Jase. I feel kind of dumb. When something started killing the chickens, and was only sucking the blood out, or eating the heads, we assumed it was a weasel. I built a weasel box and stuck a 1.5 in there with some chicken liver.

Mink didn't even cross my mind. The closest lake is about 400 yards away. It's a wonder he fit inside that 2 1/8 inch hole. Well, I guess I've seen my first mink! I'll recognize it next time!

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2012, 14:21 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

jase wrote:
Nick, your weasel is in the weasel family, but that is a mink! Congrats on him! Also unless it is a whelping female fox, they don't typically utilize dens any other time. I'm not sure what is exactly using it though. Normally in larger holes like that I find coons, badger, or sometimes ground hog. I see the tracks look like canine's, but is it possible that a dog could have been there, like coon hounds or something? Weird, no doubt.

Congrats on the catches, and the sets look good to take about anything from smaller fur, to canines, and bobcats. Good luck!

Also, there are a lot of groundhogs in the area, but the den in the picture doesn't look the same. It's taller than it is wide, where a groundhog hole is nearly round. The soil in the area is poor for tracks, but the tracks there are bigger than a groundhogs foot, and show the toe nails.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2012, 14:34 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

That thieving chicken killer looks great.[I'm afraid Jase is right] 8|- The whole dang bunch of pics look great and thanks for bring them. :D

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2012, 17:03 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

jase wrote:
Nick, your weasel is in the weasel family, but that is a mink! Congrats on him! Also unless it is a whelping female fox, they don't typically utilize dens any other time. I'm not sure what is exactly using it though. Normally in larger holes like that I find coons, badger, or sometimes ground hog. I see the tracks look like canine's, but is it possible that a dog could have been there, like coon hounds or something? Weird, no doubt.

Congrats on the catches, and the sets look good to take about anything from smaller fur, to canines, and bobcats. Good luck!

I was thinking mink also Jase, but what do I know? :cry: Looks like a good start on a fine trapping season.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2012, 16:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Pretty nice mink. Excellent color.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2012, 17:28 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

That water trap is interesting. Why would they enter such a confined space as that narrow wire trap? I would have thought them smarter than that. Interesting sets. Ive never seen that cylinder shaped trap(?). Thanks for the post. I see you have the same fleshing beam as the Professor. Very nice job getting them stretched and tacked.

My friend on the Musselshell says he's got a weasel living under the house. We do'n't have chickens so there's no problem with the weasel, in fact he's doing a fantastic job at killing mice. NO kidding, we usually catch over 100 mice in a season,, Joe says he's only trapped a few since the weasel moved in. They are already whitened out there too.

Joe and I were just talking and laughing about the old PETROLEUM COUNTY COYOTE TRAPPING CONTEST.
OMG. Desperate people do desperate things :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: ... I asked him to think about it since he helped weigh in the coyotes, so I'll write a bit on it eventually. Its like Bucky and Opie, crossed with the mafia. So sad. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

FREEDOM~LIBERTY

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2012, 19:16 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Musselshellgal wrote:
That water trap is interesting. Why would they enter such a confined space as that narrow wire trap? I would have thought them smarter than that. Interesting sets. Ive never seen that cylinder shaped trap(?). Thanks for the post. I see you have the same fleshing beam as the Professor. Very nice job getting them stretched and tacked.

My friend on the Musselshell says he's got a weasel living under the house. We do'n't have chickens so there's no problem with the weasel, in fact he's doing a fantastic job at killing mice. NO kidding, we usually catch over 100 mice in a season,, Joe says he's only trapped a few since the weasel moved in. They are already whitened out there too.

Joe and I were just talking and laughing about the old PETROLEUM COUNTY COYOTE TRAPPING CONTEST.
OMG. Desperate people do desperate things :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: ... I asked him to think about it since he helped weigh in the coyotes, so I'll write a bit on it eventually. Its like Bucky and Opie, crossed with the mafia. So sad. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The muskrat trap shown is a colony trap. It measures 6x6x24in. With a one-way door on both ends. You place them in the runs and it allows you to get multiple rats at one time.

The tube shaped trap is a dog proof, or dp. They have an inverted trigger that you place bait underneath. In order to trip the trap the coon must reach underneath and pull up on the trigger, which makes it nearly impossible for a dog to snap your trap.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2012, 21:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

i hope you get some yotes in the yote set you made. good luck...

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2012, 09:51 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I haven't had any luck the last few days. No coons last night in the dp's, but it dropped to 23 degrees last night so maybe they stayed denned up? I don't know.

I haven't had any luck at my coyote sets after the two opossums. But I haven't heard them howling at night for awhile either. I don't know what's keeping them away but it's kind of discouraging.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2012, 10:17 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

i know how you feel on the yotes. especially you know when you know they are there and not working your set's..but they don't always stay in one spot feeding. they like different things to eat also. just hand in there for a while..remember "if you set them...they will come"...lol

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2012, 10:34 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

jase wrote:
Coon's didn't move well over here either Nick. We only took 2 and one of them was too small so I released him. The other was a decent sow. I think you're right, they didn't mover very well last night.

What have you been using for lure and bait at your coyote sets? Are you using dirt holes, I can't remember? How long have they been out?

I have a bait pile by our "creek woods" as we call it, where we dump deer bones and other carcasses. I made 3 sets near the bait pile and 2 on suspected travel corridors. I used coyote urine on the backing on two of the sets by the bait pile, with yodel dog at a dirt hole and canine call on what I guess you would call a flat set ( I just put it on a stick and tucked it under the backing). The other set by the bait is fox urine and silent partner. One of the travel corridor sets is a dirt hole with fox urine and silent partner, and the other is a (flat set?) with coyote urine and canine call.

The first night I picked up a possum in the travel corridor set the had the coyote urine, and I had a possum that fouled the swivels with grass and wrung out on the fox urine and silent partner set by the bait pile. I remade those sets and haven't had any action for the last two days.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2012, 11:35 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Alright. Thanks Jase!

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2012, 18:54 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Well no more coons today, I guess they didn't move too much last night either. I pulled 3 coons out of the freezer and put them up this afternoon.

Oh yeah, and I got my first coyote this morning! :D :D :D I caught her in a dirt hole with fox urine and silent partner.

Two toes!

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2012, 19:13 

Very nice yote! Congrats on the great catch!

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2012, 22:01 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

that's how i like to see all yote's in the last picture..great job on the catch. congrats also..thanks, denny

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2012, 01:34 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Thanks everyone. You guys really taught me everything I know. I appreciate it.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2012, 16:34 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

jase wrote:
Nick, I personally think the bit of a slow down on the coons, is from the full moon phase come around again. Seems to effect them for some reasonings that I don't understand.

I sure hope it picks back up. I got an old boar today with a missing toe on one foot and a bobbed tail. Now that's character! I also caught my first beaver in a 330 that I set in a run last night. That sucker is huge! He's one of the devils that's been making holes in our lake dam. I don't know much about beavers but this one is big. I'll try to post pictures later.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2012, 21:27 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I found this in one of my coyote sets this morning. I guess the poor little guy was just hoppin' along and he hopped in the wrong place! All that was left was his front feet in the trap and his back half near by. I guess something ate him out of the trap, probably the coyote that the set was intended for! Oh well, tomorrow is a new day and another chance to catch the yote.

This is my first beaver. It's one of the fellers that's been tearing up our lake dam. I found a long run in a small little dried up pond that we have. The run only had 8 or 10 inches of water, and went from a den, through the slough, and over the bank and into the creek on the other side. I set two #330's in the run last night and...

He almost takes up 3/4 of the tailgate on my dad's 3500!