Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 21:45

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fleshing coon
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2012, 14:48 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Can someone please give me some pointers on fleshing the saddle on a coon. What knife, how do you start it….just any help so it don’t take forever.

Post subject: Re: Fleshing coon
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2012, 15:01 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Coons are a bit of a handfull to flesh, but can be done very well as you can see in several of the posts here on WAT. I recall one recent pic in Jase and CMJ's season thread. You want to get it down to the white leather and this is better if you have a good knife like the necker 600, pricey but well worth it! Practice and experience will help.

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2012, 15:15 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Mohawk wrote:
Coons are a bit of a handfull to flesh, but can be done very well as you can see in several of the posts here on WAT. I recall one recent pic in Jase and CMJ's season thread. You want to get it down to the white leather and this is better if you have a good knife like the necker 600, pricey but well worth it! Practice and experience will help.

I saw that pic, that's why I placed this post. I want to know how they did it....LOL

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2012, 16:04 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

As Mo said, we use the Necker 600 and our PVC beam. All that you have to do is use the cutting side of the blade on the gristle, and the pushing side for the fat and meat. If you look on the back of your hand underneath your pinky, you will see little dimples where the hair comes out. With a coon, when you scrape it down far enough that you see just the dimples of the hide, that is all the farther that you have to take it down. Now it's just doing that over the rest of the hide.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2012, 16:57 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

The only thing I'm having problems with is the saddle. Here are my two knifes, should the sharp one be very sharp? Do you push with it or slice with it?

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2012, 17:35 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

wannab wrote:
Mohawk wrote:

I saw that pic, that's why I placed this post. I want to know how they did it....LOL

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sorry but that just made me chuckle.[need a thank you smiley]

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2012, 17:39 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yes you have to slice the gristle off of them, you aren't going to use a pushing blade and get the gristle off, you'll just roll over it. Dad likes to keep his fleshing knife very sharp. Go slow :wink:

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2012, 17:56 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I have only done a handful and the thing that was helpful to me was knowing to start shaving from the ears down the back to about the top of the front shoulders. The rest I was able to push with the dull side. Watch out for nipples and make sure you get the fat in the armpits! Like I said I have only done maybe 15 of them now but those were the things I found helpful. I started with a Necker and I think that helped.

BAIT? URINE? LURE? DON'T NEED IT WHEN I'M USING MB'S!

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2012, 17:58 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

cat-man-jr wrote:
Yes you have to slice the gristle off of them, you aren't going to use a pushing blade and get the gristle off, you'll just roll over it. Dad likes to keep his fleshing knife very sharp. Go slow :wink:

Oh Lord, very sharp, slice, coon, me!! The headless coon rides again!!

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2012, 19:02 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

HappyTrapper wrote:
I have only done a handful and the thing that was helpful to me was knowing to start shaving from the ears down the back to about the top of the front shoulders. The rest I was able to push with the dull side. Watch out for nipples and make sure you get the fat in the armpits!

That's pretty much all there is to it.

wannab wrote:
cat-man-jr wrote:

Nah, you won't cut a coon hides head off, you might knock some holes at first, but that will be about it. Just go slow, speed will come in time and numbers of coons done. If you do knock a hole(s) don't get frustrated, there ain't many people can just take up fleshing hides and do perfect jobs from the beginning. Holes are gonna happen.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2012, 18:08 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

cat-man-jr wrote:
HappyTrapper wrote:
I have only done a handful and the thing that was helpful to me was knowing to start shaving from the ears down the back to about the top of the front shoulders. The rest I was able to push with the dull side. Watch out for nipples and make sure you get the fat in the armpits!

That's pretty much all there is to it.

wannab wrote:
cat-man-jr wrote:

Nah, you won't cut a coon hides head off, you might knock some holes at first, but that will be about it. Just go slow, speed will come in time and numbers of coons done. If you do knock a hole(s) don't get frustrated, there ain't many people can just take up fleshing hides and do perfect jobs from the beginning. Holes are gonna happen.

It may not cut the head off but it will certainly add some "leg holes" to the pelt if you get carried away with the sharp side thinking it is the dull side..... I have never done that but have seen it demonstrated. :roll: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2012, 19:25 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's what happens when you pick the smallest coon there :shock: :--D :P

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2012, 08:55 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Having some frustration fleshing big old cold boar coon skins!! It's been a long time since I've put up coon for sale and I probably never got the hang of getting them really clean. I didn't get around to getting me a Necker 600 this year (or another sharp draw blade) and that probably complicates the problem. All I have is my old cheap duller draw balde and a little double head (about 4 inches wide) fleshing "trowel"??

I'm sort of using Trappper Rick's "English Blue" system (beveled wooden board) method but after watching the video that Rick recommended in his Sept. 9 posting (by a guy named "bigtimbowfishing" on youtube. I think he's from Wisconsin. He fleshes and boards a sow coon in about 9 minutes), I've never seen a coon peel so easy and fast. I'm sure this guy's coon was fresh and probably warm and that probably helps a lot. When I was pushing yesterday morning with my dull big blade, I was getting pre-blisters on my hands by pushing so hard and areas were finally getting clean but not probably 100%, especially around the base of the tail and skirt where there was probably an inch and half of fat and flesh to start with.

It probably doesn't help either that I'm working in a sub-freezing garage (I do have one smaller heater that I could plug in but I'm hesitate to leave this thing going unattended).

I also watched a video by a SK dude that does by the name of "5911ryan" on youtube. He skins a nice coon in about 5 minutes flat. Only in my wildest dreams!! This fat old boar that I'm working on was dead and very cold for about 4 days before I could skin it. No give at all in trying to pull it. Every pull need to be aided by a cut. I'm embarassed to say how long it took me (luckly no holes).

So, I think my plan for next year (unless we get a Jan. thaw and the coon run again) is to get a sharp blade draw for those areas where its needed (neck and skirt/tail area) and skin these critters when they're still warm so more flesh and fat stay on the carcass. I think that would help a lot. I'm just wishing that I can get these 3 nice big boar skins fleshed enough that I don't get docked for being poorly done!!

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2012, 22:05 
Trapper
Trapper

Took me awhile to get the hang of it, but once I got the feel for it was pretty easy.
I use the Necker 600 and wouldn't even think of doing a coon without it. I have used the Grizzle Getter with some success but prefer the Necker.
What works best for me is to keep the knife at a steep angle (close to straight up and down) with right hand a bit ahead of left and use a slight left to right motion as i'm pushing down the length of the back. Slow and steady, you'll learn fairly quick just how much pressure you can apply. Start with some lesser coons and practice away! Hope that makes sense.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2012, 09:53 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Heres how I do it, some might think I'm wrong or crazy. It works well for me, just go slow at first and be careful.

I only use a sharp fleshing knife, as sharp as I can make it! I start at ears, use a fillet knife to slice or start a ring around head portion. To me this is the secret, by useing a small 4in fillet knife to get it going the rest is gravy. Only need about a 1/2 in. start, then using sharp fleshing knife flesh belly all the way down using a diagnal slicing action. Turn hide alittle and work that down over arm. I only work in about 2in. maybe 3in. sections. If you get a big gob of fat and grisel going turn fleshing knife almost flat and push off as far as it will go. Then go back over area again cleaning area really good with a steep angle or cutting type angle with fleshing knife.

Another trick I have found is that fresh warm skins don't flesh worth a darn! To much grease, skin and put outside or in freezer to PARTIALLY freeze. Then they flesh alittle easier, not so slimy.

Using this system I devised it takes me less than ten minutes a hide(never timed myself), but its fast for me.
When you have nobody to show you the "right" way, you find a way. Your mind is your most powerful tool! :wink: